Doctor Who: The Woman who fell to Earth.

oralloy

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2018 03:50 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Like most successful shows Dr Who has endured because it's stayed true to its roots and values. It's British, and its core audience will always be British,
Maybe miserable unhappy endings are a British thing.

What was with that Golden Compass/Dark Materials crap? Are you guys masochists or something?

izzythepush wrote:
if they start dumbing it down and candy coating it there won't be any point watching it.
Not having miserable unhappy endings doesn't require dumbing anything down.

There is considerable latitude between "candy coating" and "pure misery". There is plenty of room for a happy medium somewhere between the two.

izzythepush wrote:
some sad loser who needs a gun to feel important.
Your low status as a European serf must really bother you. Why else would you keep going into off-topic rants about my freedom?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2018 12:52 am
Who'd have thought Davros was the Doctor's father?

A strand emerges, like Bad Wolf but not as confusing, finale is beginning to shape up.

And a timely message for cowardly gun nuts.
oralloy

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2018 12:22 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
And a timely message for cowardly gun nuts.
It is strange how you always try to convince Americans that European serfdom is preferable to our freedom. But instead of enjoying the serfdom that you claim is preferable, you snipe bitterly at us for enjoying our freedom.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2018 04:38 pm
Female doctor, anti gun rhetoric and now Rosa Parks. Looks like the Doctor is taking a swing at Trump's America.
oralloy

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2018 04:43 pm
@izzythepush,
I haven't been watching (for reasons already explained). What is being said that is anti-gun?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2018 07:41 pm
@oralloy,
They are trolling you Oralloy. If you aren't interested in watching the show, then don't bite. It is just science fiction fantasy.

maxdancona

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2018 07:44 pm
I didn't like the second episode. They introduced the Tardis, and set up a little more background on the Stenza, but the episode didn't do to much for me. The Doctor seemed both more authoritative and more human in the first episode. They are attempting to do development for the four main characters, but it seemed clunky.

This episode was a line of catastrophes with some preaching in between.

I give the first episode a solid A. The second episode gets a D+ from me.
izzythepush
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2018 12:21 am
@maxdancona,
And who cares? Nobody. A lot of the stuff in the first episode shot right over your head, and I doubt your understanding of this one would be any different.

The real established fan base likes it. You don't have to watch it, nobody's forcing you.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2018 07:10 am
@izzythepush,
lol

(This is a thread about a TV show, dude, you can relax a bit.... here, have a red ribbon).
izzythepush

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2018 08:10 am
@maxdancona,
It's about the longest running science fiction serial. You're a virulent misogynist but don't want to be seen as such so you came out with a load of bollocks about how a female doctor was a good thing only to slag it off after the first episode.

And it was clear that's what you intended to do from the off.

Again, nobody really cares what emasculated Americans think.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2018 08:40 am
@izzythepush,
You are so cute Izzy.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2018 08:44 am
@maxdancona,
And you're so utterly predictable.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2018 04:06 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
They are trolling you Oralloy. If you aren't interested in watching the show, then don't bite. It is just science fiction fantasy.
Well, it's not like I've never seen the show before. I've seen many past episodes, and if not for the the depressing endings I'd be eagerly watching it today. Plus I was a bit interested in hearing what this anti-gun message was.

As it happens, I was curious enough to do an internet search and find out for myself. I thought the anti-gun thing was a little dumb, but really no big deal. Certainly not anything for gun rights advocates to get upset about.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2018 09:03 am
Bit disappointed with the 2nd episode.

The creatures were iffy to say the least, what was it... sniper-robots that me cataracted Granny could outshoot and then the evil talking sheet. Really..

We'll stick with it though, can only better for Doctor Who or as my son calls her, Nurse Who.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2018 03:28 am
@eurocelticyankee,
It reminded me of a story from the Doctor Who comic back when Tom Baker was the Doctor. In this story a team of cybermen land on a planet that was once inhabited by fabled weapon masters who mysteriously vanished. At first all goes well, lots of tasty weapons are loaded on board the ship. Then cybermen start having nightmares and panic attacks. The weapon masters were killed by the ultimate weapon which is sentient. The remaining cyberman tools up with a big stack of remaining weapons only to realise it's futile. This thing can't be defeated, and it wants his ship. So he blows himself and the ship up leaving the creature stranded on the planet. Next thing is a Sontaran ship lands with the same purpose of the cybermen.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2018 03:40 pm
Really moving episode tonight.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2018 08:36 am
@izzythepush,
Very good episode.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2018 09:03 am
@eurocelticyankee,
I had a bit of a tea in my eye at the end. At times it was quite difficult to watch.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2018 09:07 am
@izzythepush,
Shocking that it was ever like that and even more shocking that some clowns would like it like that again.

izzythepush

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2018 10:04 am
@eurocelticyankee,
Exactly.
0 Replies