American Idol

squinney

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 09:26 am
Shocked

Wha...?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 09:41 am
Is it in their favor if the most popular one(s) get second and third place? Like, the winner will have better sales because he/she won, and the runner(s)-up will have better sales because they're more popular, and more money all around? (Clay Aiken didn't win, right?)
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 09:42 am
Not just a "Dewey Defeats Truman" thing?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 09:46 am
Yeah, that was my first though too, Whooda.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 09:58 am
I didn't watch last night at all. I really only watched before to see Vonzell, but she's gone and I don't care who wins.

Maybe I should have voted, huh.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 12:42 pm
Soz,

out of all the American Idol contestants, Clay Aiken has had the most publicity-now whether or not that translates into most sales, I have not stats on. He was runner up in season 2. The second person you hear about is Kelly Clarkson, winner season 1. After that it is anyone's guess because I hear hardly anything about Reuben Studdard and Fantasia. I would say maybe it benefits the runner up and and the next couple since they can sign with other companies (I think) and get better promotion.

I think we haven't heard the last from Vonzell or Constantine. At least I hope not from Vonzell, she had the voice that made you feel the music, I loved it. Me personally, I liked Anthony but I know I was in the minority on that one. He was great at those ballads and I am a sucker for them.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 01:25 pm
Zane and I were discussing the possibility of it being non-corrupt. Does Rupert Murdoch own USA Today? Regardless, it's all (quasi-)entertainment anyway, unless you have a personal stake in the outcome. Ultimately it comes down to exposure.

Those original songs last night (for the single and "flip side") were horrible, faceless crappy ballad things.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 05:30 pm
Right -- if they are going to try and juice up the show and pull it away from the karaoke image it's unfortunately developed (mainly because of the poorer singers who make it to the top 20 or 30 and Simon's repeated criticism that a performance sounded like mediocre karaoke), at least get some good songs written for the show. Those two were simply not any better than commercial jingles.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 09:11 pm
Well, looks like it was Truman afterall.

We'll be hearing both of them again. Would be very surprised if Bo doesn't have a CD out by Fall.

Loved Vonzells number, too on the final show.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 10:47 pm
I was disappointed that Bo didn't win. Even though life would have been unbearable here in Eastern Oklahoma if he had beaten our hometown girl.

I'd buy Bo's CD, but I'd much prefer to see him in person. Woohoo!!!
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 02:59 am
What will we all do on Tuesday/Wednesday nights now that we have no more Cingular, Coke, & Ford ads to watch?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 04:19 am
Eva, I just might have to "visit family" and go to that concert with ya!
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 07:48 am
i think all the idol finalists are going to richmond, VA suinney here in the near future. that is a little closer to see Bo :-) where ever the constance center is in VA, that's where they will be. not sure if i will go, richmond is only about 2 hours from me. carrie's last performance last night...ugh. i understand she was excited and had a little trouble keeping it together, it was the actual song itself that i think stunk. that must have been the originial one she sung tuesday night...her new single to be released on june 4th. not buying that one, but give me a CD from Vonzell or Anthony (don't hate me!) and I am there!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:37 am
squinney wrote:
Eva, I just might have to "visit family" and go to that concert with ya!

C'mon, girl! I swear though, if he's as hot as he was doing "For Love of Money" a coupla weeks ago, I'll be on the floor.

Think I'll go watch that again. It's on idolonfox.com (5/10)
0 Replies

Zane

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 09:44 am
High point of the show for me was getting to see the esteemed George Benson.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 09:46 am
So why aren't you guys more angry? I saw the headline on Yahoo news and figured I'd come here and see a lot of froth and "rigged!" and "didn't deserve it!!", but you don't seem too bothered...?
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 09:52 am
I am bothered and do think it was rigged. But once Vonzell went home, I didn't care enough to be upset. I mean, why wouldnt they rig it, the blond haired, hazel eyed, attractive, country girl is the easiest to market. I guess I just expected it so that is why I am not overly upset.
0 Replies

Zane

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 10:05 am
Zane wrote:
Conspiracy theory?
Quote:
The latest fuel thrown on the great "American Idol is rigged and Carrie Underwood will win" conspiracy theory is that a respected British newspaper has printed that Carrie already has won. In an article about BusinessWeek's 25 Stars of Europe, The Independent lists Simon Fuller as one of the names on the list. The article goes on to describe Simon Fuller, as "the pop impresario whose American Idol TV competition was won this year by Carrie Underwood."
the entire article: realitytvmagazine

Link to the "actual" independent.co.uk article, which has been removed:
http://news.independent.co.uk/business/news/story.jsp?story=640328

Google's cache of the removed article:
Click here to view it

I didn't really care too much about the outcome. My favorite girl went home too soon.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 11:26 am
No, I don't think it's rigged -- otherwise we'd soon have a "21" scandal. No way to hide the vote tabulation from the FCC, not to mention all the other legal scrutiny that would be aimed at the show.

It was Bo's to lose and he just plainly didn't deliver as compelling a set of performances as Carrie did. That microphone fetish might have also torpedoed his chances. It had become luggage and a prop that had become an appendage (something like figure skaters avoiding props -- they aren't even allowed in amateur competition).

I would image the voting was really close but the truth is, I don't know if I'd buy any CD's or go to any concerts by these performers. I might appreciate their guest performances on shows and that's about it.

Whether this is good or bad for the music business (that was discussed just a few days ago on The Today Show by a panel of music business experts) I'm not sure. It is one hellava show though and following the process is obviously attracting a huge TV audience.

It's not going away -- and now, this summer they've got a similar dance competition!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 11:28 am
(If Vonzell would do a jazz album, I might listen).
0 Replies