The problem with liberal outrage; angry women scream at Orin Hatch.

coluber2001

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2018 07:04 pm
@coluber2001,
I wonder what Kavanaugh's wife believes. He's probably told her about his wild college days but, of course, course omitted the rape story. She may very well suspect that Ford was telling the truth, but the threat of loss of security keeps her from admitting it to herself. After all, she lives in a doll's house.

And how desperate must Kavanaugh have been to expose his past dubious life to the public just to get the esteemed seat on the Supreme Court.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2018 07:10 pm
@coluber2001,
Really Coluber. You are now attacking Kavanaugh's wife. Do you see what you are doing?

Change the names... and see how what you are saying sounds. You are attacking his wife (who I am pretty sure you have never met) because you are angry about a political loss.

This is why the Democrats keep losing elections.
coluber2001

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2018 07:55 pm
@maxdancona,
You think they're not rotten to the core with fear and ambition?
maxdancona

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2018 08:22 pm
@coluber2001,
They are a "basket of deplorables". That's the point.
coluber2001

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2018 08:40 pm
@maxdancona,
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/frontiersman.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/2/cd/2cde89d6-05c1-11e5-a736-e35055d2f03e/53adc7973e5fd.image.jpg
The only Republican senator with balls and a sense of decency.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2018 08:55 pm
@coluber2001,
This is why Democrats lose elections.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2018 08:57 pm
Has anyone else noticed how White the protests against Kavanaugh are?

It is pretty striking from the CNN videos.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2018 09:04 pm
@coluber2001,
Your claim that Lisa Murkowski "has balls" because she voted the way you wanted her to doesn't make sense. She disagree with you on the facts.

Lisa Murkowski wrote:
This hasn’t been fair to the judge, but I also recognize that we need to have institutions that are viewed as fair and if people who are victims, people who feel that there is no fairness in our system of government, particularly in our courts, then you’ve gone down a path that is not good and right for this country. And so I have been wrestling with whether or not this was about qualifications of a good man or is this bigger than the nomination.

And I believe we’re dealing with issues right now that are bigger than the nominee and how we ensure fairness and how our legislative and judicial branch can continue to be respected. This is what I have been wrestling with, and so I made the — took the very difficult vote that I did.

I believe Brett Kavanaugh’s a good man. It just may be that in my view he’s not the right man for the court at this time. So I have taken my vote here this morning, I’m going to go back to my office and write a floor statement that is more fulsome and have the opportunity to have that.
0 Replies

KingReef

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2018 12:58 am
@neptuneblue,
Quote:
Oh geez, at least be honest enough to say you never believed someone could stay silent about their experience until it becomes clear that they cannot.

It think it happens that way. I even had hidden memories about the abuse I suffered from my bio-dad. But I don't think that is Ford's problem. As I said, her problem is that this whole thing was manufactured. Even the witnesses she brought up didn't remember, weren't there even though she said they were, one said that she never met Kavanaugh. So her story is falling apart.
0 Replies

KingReef

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2018 01:05 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Has anyone else noticed how White the protests against Kavanaugh are?

It is pretty striking from the CNN videos.

Yes. I heard someone else say a similar thing. That a lot of the Kavanaugh protesters were college aged young adults. I originate from California, so that kind of turnout isn't unusual to me.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2018 06:21 am
This whole sorry spectacle could have easily been avoided — except that Trump knew he couldn't lose by picking from a list of pre-approved paleo-conservatives, all opposed to Roe v. Wade and eager to see it struck down. Most of his base would have backed him if he'd put up Joe Arpaio, for christ's sake. Trump knew that politicizing the choice would only make his base more loyal and his opposition look extreme. Trump governs as if he'd won in a landslide and that his approval ratings are a lot higher than they really are. Like any good demagogue, he gains from divisiveness and skillfully plays the electorate, supporters and political foes alike.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2018 09:14 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Trump knew that politicizing the choice would only make his base more loyal and his opposition look extreme.

This is silly. Choosing a Supreme Court justice is always a political choice. You probably just don't notice it when they are your politics. I am going to guess that you don't see how Obama was "politicizing" his choice of Justices Sotomayor and Kagen "to make his base more loyal and his opposition look extreme".

The president has the right to choose a candidate, and Kavanaugh was judged by impartial boards to be "well qualified" before the Democrats brought foward Dr. Ford in the last minute.

The Democrats opposition certainly "politicized" the process... if it is even possible to politicize a political process.

KingReef

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2018 10:18 am
@hightor,
I don't blame Trump for doing what he campaigned on. I think this mob mentality, turning the rule of law on its ear is the fault of the Democrats. No matter who Trump picked according to his list, it would have been politicized, in my recollection, the Left was waiting for the announcement, and didn't even have time to fill in the name on their protest signs. They would have been there no matter what, in my estimation.

July 9th, 2018
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2018 12:01 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I am going to guess that you don't see how Obama was "politicizing" his choice of Justices Sotomayor and Kagen "to make his base more loyal and his opposition look extreme".

I'm going to guess that you don't see it either.

Of course a sitting president has to choose someone. But being cognizant of the political ramifications of a choice is not the same as "politicizing" the process. Sotomayor and Kagen were both moderately liberal judges because Obama realized that nominating a liberal firebrand from the 9th circuit would probably result in no Republican votes for confirmation.

McConnell and Trump both worked to turn the process into a situation where a 51 vote majority would be able to push through one of the most conservative federal judges in the USA, hand-picked by the Federalist Society.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2018 04:53 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
McConnell and Trump both worked to turn the process into a situation where a 51 vote majority would be able to push through one of the most conservative federal judges in the USA

I shouldn't have to point out that it was Reid who got rid of the filibuster for federal judges at a time when Obama was president and Trump was still just a reality TV star. Facts are facts.

I understand arguing from a partisan perspective... but you going far beyond viewing reality through a partisan lens.

Blickers

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2018 05:23 pm
@KingReef,
Quote KingReef:
Quote:
They've gone crazy for political dominance. The Left has taken hold

What nonsense. A few women confront a Senator on a key nomination, and you're crying about violence. Meanwhile, this is the way Trump started:

That's the Right-beat people and then complain about manners. By the way, did any of these Trump supporters doing the beating get arrested?

KingReef

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2018 09:49 pm
@Blickers,
I think it was Mercutio Southall Jr. at around the date November 22, 2015.

The Washington Post reported this:
Mercutio Southall Jr. — a well-known local activist who has been repeatedly arrested while fighting what he says is unfair treatment of blacks — interrupted Trump’s rally and could be heard shouting, “Black lives matter!” A fight broke out, prompting Trump to briefly halt his remarks and demand the removal of Southall.

Look, I've only been here about two weeks, Blickers. You want to win a point, a debate, but really it is pointless for you to try it. I am simply telling it how I see it, and if you disagree with me, that is alright. I expect it.

0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2018 12:43 am
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2018 05:35 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I shouldn't have to point out that it was Reid who got rid of the filibuster for federal judges at a time when Obama was president...

I shouldn't have to point out that he did this in the face of relentless Republican obstruction of Obama's lower court appointments — a good example of the "politicization" I was talking about.
Quote:
Facts are facts.

And the fact is that it was McConnell who triggered the "nuclear option" for confirming Supreme Court justices in April of '17.
Quote:
I understand arguing from a partisan perspective...

And I understand trying to remain critical of both sides ... but you are going far beyond even-handed disinterest in your continued attempts to distinguish yourself from the liberal Trump critics on this board.
hightor

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2018 08:14 am
It's interesting to listen to the people on the news describing "screaming, shrieking" protestors. Why not describe it as "yelling" and "shouting"? Oh, I see — it's women on the battle lines. Subtle. And effective.