unexplained back pain

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 05:30 pm
Hello:

For about 2 or 3 months, I have been suffering a serious back pain, located around the left shoulder blade and occasionally spreading to the upper centre of the back and right shouder pain. There was once when I had been doing some speed walking about about 15 min and when I sat down to rest, the pain had been so severe I thought I had a heart attack - this and the fact that I was experiencing tingling up and down my arms. I went to the emergency dept that night and they did a number of x rays and other examinations of the lungs and heart and said there was no problem - it was most likely muscular skeletonal pain (which is strange as I am right handed). The thing is, the pain has continued till now (though never as been as sever as the time referred to above).

I have also noticed that now whenever I walk too much or swallow a tablet, it aggravates the pain even more.

The pain isn't really so much stinging sharp pain, more like a dull ache - like something is wedged in the area.

My GP has suggested I go for a CT scan.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,649 • Replies: 74
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 05:32 pm
Do what your doctor says. I wouldn't fool with my health - not for money. You can also get a second opinion.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 05:35 pm
Hi CI!

Nice to hear from you again. Yes, I have made an appointment for the scan - but what if they say all clear as well? It's getting me worried...

Will keep you updated though.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 05:38 pm
Pragmatic- Why don't you relax, and take one step at a time? Stress can exascerbate back pain, by tightening muscles.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 05:46 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Pragmatic- Why don't you relax, and take one step at a time? Stress can exascerbate back pain, by tightening muscles.

True, true. my friends are always saying that i stress too much... Drunk
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 05:56 pm
I know you know without us telling you, but stress is a killer. Learn to relax however you can; just stay away from that booze as a regular relaxer. Wink
We seem to get anxious whenever we have symptoms that we don't understand; and that's normal. I found that the best way to relieve my health worries is to let my doctor diagnose any problems I may think I have. All my past worries have been for naught. I make an effort to keep healthy by walking an average of three miles every day - sometimes less and sometimes more. When I travel, I love to walk, so I make it a point to do alot of it - and during my last visit to Asia last month, I walked over 12 miles in one day. Pretty proud of that!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 05:58 pm
If you follow through with the tests your doctor sets up for you and they find nothing, yet the pain persists, consider seeing a naturopath or chirpractor.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 05:59 pm
Oh, and I'm glad heart attack has been ruled out. I do hope you end up feeling better pronto!
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 08:11 pm
all this concern for me...*sniff*, brings a tear to my eye! Embarrassed I am actually going to have my scan today, so the results should be available soon and tell you all whether it is just me being paranoid or it is actually something worse (me being paranoid and my predictions and worries coming true!) Confused Confused

Littlek - I am glad that the heart attack was ruled out as well! I am only 19!! Shocked Shocked
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 08:15 pm
Do let us know!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 09:06 pm
<thinking muscle inflammation, nerve reacting... overuse symptom, but I am fulla non-knowledge here, just guessing>
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 09:22 pm
osso, I think he welcomes our guesses; it might be the right diagnosis.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 09:27 pm
Pragmatic, If you are a girl, do you carry a heavy purse? Girl or boy--sorry, woman or man (your're making me feel very maternal--can't help it), if you carry a backpack to school, it can cause severe inflammation to the shoulder muscles to the point where it can feel similar to a heart attack. Have your doctors ruled out anything heavy that you might be carrying regularly?

Good luck!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 09:45 pm
I think pragmatic is a woman (sorry if wrong) and an enthusiastic person of chinese heritage living in australia, a new a2ker.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 05:04 pm
hehehe!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil all these suggestions flinging around about me, me, me! I will let the talk go on for a while to see what kinds of guesses arise about who (or what!!! *scary music in the background*) I am...but ossobuco and Diane, you may have to make me reveal two things about my identity:

- I am a girl
- enthusiastic Chinese
- In Australia

(Fine, three things revealed.) Evil or Very Mad

Thanks for the concern everyone has been showing me. Diane - you may have a point - i don't carry a heavy purse but I do have a backpack that (out of habit) I hang on my left shoulder alone...I will raise this with my GP at the next appt.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 05:38 pm
Oy!

Knapsack slung over one shoulder - bad pragmatic, bad pragmatic. There's a reason the things have two or more straps - to distribute the weight evenly and prevent back strain.

(anyone remember Grace Slick and her giant purse?)
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 05:45 pm
Thank you ehbeth...*ashamed face, tail down, whine, whine* I will never do it again... *sucking the thumb* Embarrassed Embarrassed

BTW - I noticed that you changed your avator - is that really you?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 05:47 pm
hehehehe

nahhhhhh, my current avatar is one half of kickycan

i'm trying to decide on an Easter avatar, and put this in as a temporary measure. it's been quite fun describing my real-life wardrobe while wearing this face Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 05:53 pm
pragmatic- In my younger life, I used to carry the biggest purse that I could find. I had everything but the kitchen sink in it.

Then I got a job where I had no place to put my purse. So I got one of those tiny "disco bags" that you wear across your body. (so you know that it was a long time ago)

For the first time in my life I learned:

I was so much freer without carrying everything around. (I once went to throw out an old purse, and discovered that I had over thirty pens lying in the bottom of it).

I did not need to carry around all that junk.

I am convinced that the use of large, heavy purses has, in some part, contributed to the state of my lousy back. I now seldom carry a purse. When I go shopping I look for clothes that has large pockets, and will put my wallet in the pocket when trying an item on, to see if the wallet fits.

So I look a little hippier than I really am. So what? I'm much more comfortable!
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 06:00 pm
*sigh* Phoneix you sound so carefree and cool and casual (ever thought of changing your username to the three-Cs?) How I would love to be like that

I am just thinking how an unexplained back pain suddenly seems to have revealed who I am and what I am like -- some examples:

stressed and carrying big bag with heaps of things in it just for the stressed sake.

Its all true, I am like that... *ashamed face*... Embarrassed

Thanks for everyone's kind words *sniff* but one word of warning - don't ever go to a CT scan if you dont have to. I went to one yesterday (ref to earlier post and no, no results just yet) - and I don't EVER want to go to one again!! AGHHHH Shocked
0 Replies