Sturgis

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 05:20 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Kirsten Gillibrand's Unabashedly Feminist Campaign

A full campaign cannot survive based solely on one topic. If she chooses to integrate it into her campaign, even making it the cornerstone of her policies and ideas platform, it would do much to elevate her campaign to something little more than a mediocre high school election kind of spectacle.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 05:23 pm
@Sturgis,
How'd she make the successful move from Congress to Senate if she's such a loser?
roger

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 05:28 pm
@ehBeth,
Her constituents are also losers?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 05:34 pm
@ehBeth,
She was installed to fill out Hillary Clinton's second term as Senator when Clinton made her first run for President (only to be leveled by Barack Obama). Gillibrand was chosen by then New York Governor David Patterson. (who only got the governorship after Eliot Spitzer resigned due to scandal and problems revolving around being infamous Client #9.

As is sadly often the case in U.S. politics and elections, people vote for the incumbent, not doing their research as to what things the person has in the negative column.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2019 03:35 am
I'm thinking a Klobuchar/Buttigieg ticket would be interesting, just as far as lapel button collectibles and unpronounceables go.
engineer

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2019 05:07 pm
So did anyone else think Sanders's announcement was anticlimactic? I think all the positives he brought the first time around have been co opted by others and he still has all the negatives. I know he had a lot of supporters here, are you still in?
Lash

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2019 06:13 pm
@engineer,
The reason Bernie supporters aren’t going anywhere is because those Johnny Come Latelies are just saying the right words. You’ve seen that phenomenon before, haven’t you? Election year promises.

Bernie has been saying this stuff and knocking himself out to bring these things to fruition.

We trust that he’s got the intelligence, fortitude, and integrity to achieve these goals.

He raised a million in his first hour after announcing.

What are his negatives?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2019 08:02 pm
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/bernie-sanders-2020-bid-1.5024206
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2019 04:18 am
None of the ‘negatives’ in that piece were true.

All campaigns need a better structure to report sex abuses by men against women campaign workers.

Bernie had more millennial support than Hillary and trump combined.

We have fabulous black and brown support—the media lies about it.

Getting the truth publicized will be our biggest challenge.
hightor

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2019 04:55 am
@Lash,
Before you condemn me — I'm not saying this as a personal criticism of Mr. Sanders or because of political differences (which mostly concern means rather than ends).

He looks awful. As bad as Trump. I know, we're all grownups, we're all getting old ourselves, and of course I'll vote for him if it comes down to that, but I do think his age is liability. A little chronological contrast between the candidates might be useful.
Lash

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2019 05:01 am
@hightor,
Pelosi is older. Biden is within a year. Are you also concerned about them?

If he didn’t run around the country like Superman, I’d have the same concerns.
hightor

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2019 05:49 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Pelosi is older. Biden is within a year.

Pelosi's not a candidate for the nomination. And yes, I would have the same concern about Sen. Biden.
Quote:
If he didn’t run around the country like Superman, I’d have the same concerns.

Okay. And no one would ever characterize Trump as "spry". But time is just as toxic as kryptonite when a person approaches eighty. Concerns will only increase as the clock keeps ticking.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2019 05:58 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

He looks awful. As bad as Trump. I know, we're all grownups, we're all getting old ourselves, and of course I'll vote for him if it comes down to that, but I do think his age is liability. A little chronological contrast between the candidates might be useful.

I think it is a reasonable concern. It is two years until the new President takes office, potentially eight more in office and it is a stressful job. You need someone who is committed for ten years and for someone in their late 70's it's a concern.
Lash

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2019 06:11 am
@engineer,
It doesn’t take a ten year commitment. Bernie can institute the changes that most Americans want, and can continue supporting more and more progressive candidates into office. If he’s still as mentally and physically alert as he is now, he can make that choice after a first term.

His VP is a very important choice...goes without saying.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2019 08:36 am
@engineer,
With all the candidates, if you are looking for all their positions with documentation, you can use this website: http://www.ontheissues.org/default.htm.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2019 10:54 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Buttigieg ticket

#teehee
You said buttgig ticket! Laughing Laughing
http://replygif.net/i/1107.gif
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2019 09:46 pm
https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/52684467_2097287713684762_7050280758748905472_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=b23d3b084f2f781afd22c2ed90b21092&oe=5CE3BB9E
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2019 03:45 pm
https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/52647461_2099044420175758_9171752229378457600_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=62513aa3355a2ff151789ef65896d64f&oe=5D20F3B5
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2019 04:12 pm
They’ll be off the lawn soon enough.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2019 04:39 pm
...and in even more tragic and horrifying news, New York City Mayor, Bill DeBlasio (who altered his birthname from Warren Wilhelm), is continuing along his exploratory journey to decide if he wants to run for President.

www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-pol-deblasio-iowa-presidential-run-20190221-story.html

Although he enjoys presenting himself as a liberal/populist/(and whatever else might get him elected) and has spent quite a lot of time with Bernie Sanders (including a vacation spot or more at Sanders' vacation home in Vermont), there are 2 items to be aware of:
1)DeBlasio is not a Sanders, by any stretch of the imagination

2)his policy record in NYC is decidedly shaky when it comes to liberal or progressive or even Democrat.

Homelessness has increased, education has (somehow) gotten even worse. His 2 campaigns for mayor included questionable actions and behaviors.

In some ways he would be another Trump. He gets testy when questioned about various topics and matters, attempted to keep e-mails with staff members secret (almost had a meltdown when he lost a legal challenge on keeping them out of the medias hands)

Bottom line, he wants to be President, but there is no good reason to put in another self-serving politician at the White House.

ALSO, it should be noted that although he tries to present a public image of comradery with Sanders, he has this far not endorsed, nor issued a statement of support for Sanders.

(who knows, maybe Sanders would use him on the VP slot)