edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2018 05:17 pm
If a Republican challenges Trump for the nomination, I will vote Republican in the primary to give the challenger a boost. I will never ever vote Republican in an actual election, however.
maporsche

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2018 05:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
Now THAT’S a smart strategy.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2018 11:20 pm
Two things.

Okay, three.

Andy Cuomo (who is not even a thin shadow of his father, the late Mario Cuomo), has said he won't run for president. Of course in the world of politics things change quickly. Plus, notice how in the months leading up to his primary run for reelection, he began shaping himself (rather crudely) into something of a progressive. This was done in part to better his showing against his challenger, Cynthia Nixon. In other words, Cuomo is an unctuous chap. Be alert and careful when near him.

Cuomo is not a progressive. He is a borderline Republican wearing a banner such says, I'm a Democrat, just like my daddy, so vote for me.'.

Neither is Cuomo trustworthy.

Second, time to remember the scuzzy creature who fights with Cuomo all the time, claims to be a progressive...a claim he has made for a long time and at times touches upon the edges of. Yes, Warren Wilhelm, Jr., better known as NYC Mayor Bill DeBlasio. He has already made several trips out to Iowa and has long cozied up with Bernie Sanders. The DeBlasio family even took a vacation to Sanders' Lake Champlain summer home. He is desperate to eventually be President.

The third in this series is not likely to actually run; he may however throw things in a different, calmer, more useful direction. Former NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg. There's an article on this located in line at www.theweek.com titled Michael Bloomberg wants to be your boring president.
www.theweek.com/speedreads/800815/Michael-bloomberg-wants-boring-president

Bloomberg and Kevin Sheekey (his political aide) spoke with Ben Smith of BuzzFeed indicating that elections are about swings and that it's time to be boring.

www.buzzfeednews.com/article/bensmith/mike-bloomberg-president-2020-campaign

The suggestions also made that if Bloomberg doesn't go for it, Hickenlooper (Colorado), Jay Inslee (Washington) or Steve Bullock (Montana), Gina Raimondo (Rhode Island) would be good possibilities, as well as Stacy Abrams of Georgia (although so soon after a run for governor there it would be, I feel, ill advised if she wins in November. It would not give her enough time to establish a record of leadership as to governor).

Whatever happens, it would helpful if the often foolhardy Dems would get their act together early on and unite behind one person.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2018 10:29 am
@Sturgis,
Thank you for that review.

Helpful to see from at least one NYer's perspective.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2018 10:31 am
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/10/10/nikki-haley-president-2020-892058

Quote:
A conservative anti-Trump organization has good news for Nikki Haley’s 2020 presidential aspirations — even if she professes not to have them.

Haley is the strongest potential primary challenger to President Donald Trump, according to a poll funded by the group Defend Democracy Together.

The survey, which polled likely Republican caucus-goers in Iowa as well as Republican primary voters in New Hampshire, found that nearly half — 47 percent — would consider another option to Trump in 2020. Of those polled, Haley topped the list among the probable early state voters, with 52 percent saying they were open to considering her as an alternative to Trump. The U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, who announced on Tuesday that she is resigning her position at the end of the year, also had the smallest percentage of respondents — 40 percent — say they would not consider her at all.

Haley was among a small group of potential candidates who received support both from voters with concerns about Trump, as well as those who scored Trump highly on job approval.

“That would make her a formidable candidate,” said Matt Kalmans, the co-founder of Applecart, the firm that conducted the poll.
Lash

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2018 03:46 pm
@McGentrix,
2020 is such an oxymoron re the election. Katie, bar the effing door. America is in epic fruit salad turnover mode.

Anything can happen. Some old bean from bygone era may waddle in to unseat Trump. I expect Flake, Rand Paul, and five other Republicans are in talks now with donors and ‘exploratory committees’.

Somebody named Bush is getting groomed.

About 12 on the D side, unknowns, unfortunately well-knowns— I hope the drooling Kennedy won’t sign up.

This will be one for the books.

So, will Kanye have a go at it?

Lash

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2018 03:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
They did it to NY... He’s assembled a machine to rival Hillary’s—and that corrupt asshole from Virginia is pulling Clinton apron strings... McAuliffe.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2018 05:06 pm
@Lash,
Barring some major scandal, no one is going to mount an even remotely serious challenge against Trump. He has over 90% approval with Republicans.

God knows who the Dems will run, but he or she will have to go radical to win the nomination. It's the Age of McGovern all over again.

Sturgis

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2018 05:39 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
90% huh? Care to provide a linked source?
ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2018 05:43 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
The survey, which polled likely Republican caucus-goers in Iowa as well as Republican primary voters in New Hampshire, found that nearly half — 47 percent — would consider another option to Trump in 2020.

Iowa and NH must be well outside of the group FdA polled
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2018 05:58 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
By the way Finn, remember that peanut farmer back in '76? Nobody would ever have thought he'd make it to the White House, and yet, he did.

Until a candidate appears, there's no way of knowing what'll happen.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2018 12:52 pm
@Sturgis,
Currently 84% - down from 88% - Close enough to 90% to make a primary challenge feckless.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/08/01/trumps-approval-ratings-so-far-are-unusually-stable-and-deeply-partisan/
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2018 12:54 pm
@Sturgis,
A lot of people did. He was running against a disgraced Republican's replacement.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2018 01:23 pm
@Sturgis,
Then what is the point of a thread like this one?
Lash

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2018 06:02 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I feel like this is wishful thinking. I know opposition from an incumbent president’s party is very unusual in normal party politics, but I think we can agree that statement doesn’t apply here.

If Carter’s dismal presidential performance drew a Kennedy to oppose him, surely you realize there will be some guys stepping up as self-appointed saviors, attempting to wake America up from her long national nightmare.

The party is split in support of him. This isn’t news.

He’ll be opposed from the inside, but who’s to say which direction the pendulum will swing?
Sturgis

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2018 11:48 pm
A great deal of what will occur in the 2020 primaries and National election will hinge on what happens both in the midterms and the two years hence.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2018 04:39 pm
@Lash,
I don't agree at all.

It takes money to run a campaign. Very few people with money to invest in campaigns will do so for a loser.

Here in Texas, Gov. Abbott might as well be running unopposed. His opponent, irrespective of her positions, is a joke. I have never seen a campaign ad on her behalf and I don't expect to anytime soon.

jeff Flake is already going to New Hampshire and Idaho. He thinks he is the "savior." So what? It doesn't cost him a cent and what else has he to do?

The Republican Party is not split in support of Trump unless you consider an 84-16 split serious.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2018 04:41 pm
@Sturgis,
Wow!

How sage.

Again, why are you participating in a thread that is by your arguments entirely meaningless?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2018 05:02 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Then what is the point of a thread like this one?

it's a diary/notebook

the OP

Quote:
a spot to drop off bits and bobs on people who appear to be making moves toward the 2020 general election/s in the US

a sort of diary/placemarker

I have a couple of threads like this - where I drop off things I'm interested in. If other people want to comment, fine, but if not .... that works too
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2018 06:36 pm
@ehBeth,
I've no problem with this thread. It can be fun. I just don't understand why anyone would continue to participate in it once they declared it was pointless.
0 Replies