DOES ANYONE KNOW BASIC ITALIAN??

Raphillon

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 04:53 pm
JoeFX wrote:
Two quick questions:

How do you say "play an instrument"?

What's the difference between 'troppo', 'piuttosto' and 'molto'?

"Play an instrument" = Suonare uno strumento

Io suono la chitarra (I play guitar)
Io suono il pianoforte (I play piano)
etc...

"troppo" is "too much"
"piuttosto" is an unspecified quantity you should translate it "quite"
"molto" is a large unspecified quantity, translate it "a lot"

Two quick answer for two quick questions Smile I'm sorry but I have to go and sleep now, see you tomorrow
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 08:04 pm
C'era troppo oregano nella pasta e fagioli!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 08:31 pm
Ho suonato la chitarra piuttosto forte, ma le donne hanno pensato che era molto piacevole.
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 01:50 am
You are both correct Smile

Ossobuco.... origano? Nella pasta e fagioli? Shocked

Sounds quite awful, but I will admit I never tasted it Laughing

We usually put pepe or peperoncino (I strongly prefer "pepe", anyway), you know a lot of common mots about Italian people are wrong, but some are right: my mother MAKES the best pasta e fagioli around the world: she let the cotica (It is the deep skin of a pig, I don't know the world in english) and fagioli soften in hot water for about 2-3 hours, then raises the flame and when the water boil (is it correct?) she throws in the pasta... The mix of tastes is absolutely fabulous, belive me :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 02:17 am
OK, OK, I admit I looked quickly on line for a recipe with oregano in it, and landed on pasta e fagioli. No, I won't give a link, it is too embarrasing - or maybe I will, you will all enjoy it while cringing.

I make, or at least I did a few years ago, pasta e fagioli myself, and fairly often, but always very simply and never with oregano.

I'll be back in a minute with the awful link.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 02:25 am
Personally, I've thrown homegrown oregano onto fish or chicken, and once in a while on to pizza. Tell me what you do with it, instead of

this -
http://www.angelfire.com/ct/deerwhorns/italy.html
(you'll find oregano quite far down on the page if you have patience).
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 02:29 am
Cotica - Cotenna del maiale opportunamente trattata per privarla delle setole. Nell'Italia meridionale, e assai di più in quella centrale, le cotiche sono la base di numerose, popolari specialità, fra cui i fagioli con le cotiche, tradizionale piatto romanesco.

Probably "rind" in english.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 02:34 am
OK, I'll go look that up...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 02:40 am
I guess I am looking at roast lamb, but not getting the details. You all know I am dumb. Go ahead and just tell me.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 02:52 am
Ma no, Osso, tu sei la nostra preferita! :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 03:03 am
You sweetie, Francis. Even I am aware of when I am as dumb as doornails.

I wonder how you say that in italiano...
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 05:02 am
ossobuco wrote:
Personally, I've thrown homegrown oregano onto fish or chicken, and once in a while on to pizza. Tell me what you do with it, instead of

this -
http://www.angelfire.com/ct/deerwhorns/italy.html
(you'll find oregano quite far down on the page if you have patience).

Origano is very good on fresh tomatos, usually, but the taste is not so good with cheese, so it will be good on a pizza without cheese or un a tomato salad, we use it that way

I think it will also be quite good with fish or chicken, although rosmarino is more used here....

And, Ossobuco, I didn't mean to be rude with you, please forgive me. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 05:09 am
ossobuco wrote:
You sweetie, Francis. Even I am aware of when I am as dumb as doornails.

I wonder how you say that in italiano...

I don't know what a dornail is actually but hey, you are not dumb at all.
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 05:12 am
Francis wrote:
Cotica - Cotenna del maiale opportunamente trattata per privarla delle setole. Nell'Italia meridionale, e assai di più in quella centrale, le cotiche sono la base di numerose, popolari specialità, fra cui i fagioli con le cotiche, tradizionale piatto romanesco.

Probably "rind" in english.

Complimenti, Francis, ottimo, il tuo Italiano.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 10:19 am
Raphillon wrote:
my mother MAKES the best pasta e fagioli around the world: she let the cotica (It is the deep skin of a pig, I don't know the world in english) and fagioli soften in hot water for about 2-3 hours, then raises the flame and when the water boil (is it correct?) she throws in the pasta... The mix of tastes is absolutely fabulous, belive me :wink:

My mother makes the best pasta e fagioli in the world: she lets the cotica (It is the skin of a pig, I don't know the word in english) and fagioli soften in hot water for about 2-3 hours, then raises the flame and when the water is boiling she throws in the pasta... The mix of tastes is absolutely fabulous, believe[color] me :wink:

Where you put the word "boil" it is also acceptable to say "boils", but "is boiling" sounds better. But you can't say "boil" in this instance.

Capito?
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 11:27 am
kickycan wrote:
Raphillon wrote:
my mother MAKES the best pasta e fagioli around the world: she let the cotica (It is the deep skin of a pig, I don't know the world in english) and fagioli soften in hot water for about 2-3 hours, then raises the flame and when the water boil (is it correct?) she throws in the pasta... The mix of tastes is absolutely fabulous, belive me :wink:

My mother makes the best pasta e fagioli in the world: she lets the cotica (It is the skin of a pig, I don't know the word in english) and fagioli soften in hot water for about 2-3 hours, then raises the flame and when the water is boiling she throws in the pasta... The mix of tastes is absolutely fabulous, believe me :wink:

Where you put the word "boil" it is also acceptable to say "boils", but "is boiling" sounds better. But you can't say "boil" in this instance.

Capito?

Understood. Thanks Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 11:30 am
I don't know what a doornail is either. "Dumb as a doornail" is an old-fashioned american phrase that I heard used in my childhood.
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 12:39 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I don't know what a doornail is either. "Dumb as a doornail" is an old-fashioned american phrase that I heard used in my childhood.

Then the Italian translation could be "stupido come l'acqua calda" I used to hear this in my childhood too
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 12:46 pm
Oh, cool. I love colloquialisms.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 12:48 pm
I always think of a doornail as a coffin nail. It is probably because of the saying.

Or like using a door for the top of a coffin?

Good points about oregano, Raphillon.
In this part of the world, Italian cuisine is often confused with Italo-American cuisine, authors of spaghetti and meatballs and the double white cheese Pizza Hut pizza.
Have you ever ordered a mozzarella in carrozza and find the cheese (not mozzarella di buffala, but treated cow milk that feels and tastes somewhat like mozzarella) all covered with oregano? It's worse than ordering a Coke and getting a Pepsi, I tell ya!
0 Replies