DOES ANYONE KNOW BASIC ITALIAN??

Raphillon

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 02:45 pm
He he, a little confusion here Smile

Kicky:

Ho voglia di prendere un Pepsi. correct (except the fact that "pepsi" is a female, of course, because should be a brief form pepsi-cola), but a little formal, however "ho voglia di bere una pepsi" well, you could tell this even to your best friend or to your girlfriend, the formal tone meaning you seriously want a pepsi.... well, actually one girlfriend of mine surprised me quite, once: we was in the middle of a birthday party, and she told me in one hear "Ho voglia di fare l'amore con te".... an offer nobody could resist....

Mi sento di prendere un Pepsi. uncorrect: the meaning is different. "Mi sento di" means I feel I'm capable to... When you ask that to someone you say that you doubt he will, so "Te la senti di mangiare un gelato?" Could be an offer after a big dinner: the answer "No, thanks" would not surprise you. It could be also a friendly form of challenge, like "Te la senti di fare una corsa?"

Ho voglia un Pepsi the form "ho voglia di una pepsi" is perfectly correct, just the same meaning

Mi sento di un Pepsi This is not correct, instead and means nothing: you can not remove the verb here (the different meaning allows you to do just everything wit a pepsi....)
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 02:53 pm
fbaezer wrote:
I would use "mi va".

Mi va d'una Pepsi.

I feel like [having a] Pepsi.

(Strange wording for the Italian language: I don't know now, but at least until the late '80s, in Italy you'd order a Coke, they'd served you a Pepsi and, if you said you ordered a Coke, they'd answer: "È lo stesso")

Ti va di andare al cinema?

Do you feel like going to the movies?

Quite right, except that you should use "di" only with verbs and not with substantives (which are just the object of your phrase)

so:
"mi va una pepsi"
but
"Mi va di andare al cinema"

And... yes, most Italians are not able to distinguish a coke from a pepsi..... To be onest, I'm also one of them, sorry Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 02:56 pm
Ah, Raphillon, using an example that involves sex is a great way to help me remember it!

So, in other words, after your party, once you had gone home with your girlfriend and had sex a few times, your girlfriend could have said, "Te la senti di fare l'amore una volta piu'?"...right?
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 03:01 pm
kickycan wrote:
Hmmm...are you saying that the way I phrased those others are incorrect, or that they are just not the preferred usage? Also, does the verb then agree with the subject, like with piacere, and change to "vanno" in the case of a plural subject?

Ti vanno delle arachidi?

Right! the verb agree with the subject, and the phrase is correct, only one thing: "delle" is not a preposition, here, it hase the meaning of "some"

ed è un aggettivo coordinato con "Arachidi"
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 03:05 pm
kickycan wrote:
Ah, Raphillon, using an example that involves sex is a great way to help me remember it!

So, in other words, after your party, once you had gone home with your girlfriend and had sex a few times, your girlfriend could have said, "Te la senti di fare l'amore una volta piu'?"...right?

She could have said "ti va di fare l'amore una volta ancora?" ("una volta di più sounds really formal...")

Ehm, actually, we didn't wait for the end of the party..... you know, I'm Italian after all, love is a very serious thing, for me Laughing
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 03:09 pm
Hehehe....I like your style, Raphillon...
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 03:17 pm
JoeFX wrote:
fbaezer:

Yes, it's because of spanish that I feel weird just changing the accent from syllable to syllable without any ortographic accents.

Raphilion:

Thanks for your examples.

What's the difference between a short vowel and a long one?

Quote:
wile it is formally correct to say:

while = during a certain time
wile = verb or noun of trick, deceive

Well, this is really difficoult without beeing allowed to make you here the sound, but I've made a mistake.... it is not "long" and "short, I should have said "Open" and "closed", the difference is how much you open your mouth when you pronunce the vowel (is this the correct translation of "vocale"?)

You should try it: try to pronunce an "a" opening the mouth the minimum you can and then the maximum and see how they sound very different.

This is also a big difference between the various region in Italy: southern people tend to pronunce closed vowels, northern people tend to pronunce open ones, with a little trining you can say where does an Italian come from just hearing how he pronunces vowels Smile
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 03:27 pm
kickycan wrote:
Hehehe....I like your style, Raphillon...

hehe, thanks :wink:
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 05:20 pm
Okay, now I'm going to try to help a little bit with your english.

Raphillon wrote:
...vowel (is this the correct translation of "vocale"?)
Yes, you are correct.

Raphillon wrote:
You should try it: try to pronunce an "a" opening the mouth the minimum you can and then the maximum and see how they sound very different.

This is also a big difference between the various region in Italy: southern people tend to pronunce closed vowels, northern people tend to pronunce open ones, with a little trining you can say where does an Italian come from just hearing how he pronunces vowels Smile

The word "pronunce" is spelled "pronounce".

"with a little trining you can say"--I think what you mean to say here is "with a little trying you can tell", which is grammatically correct, but it would be better to use the word "effort" instead of the word "trying". The rest of the sentence has a few little things wrong.

I would change it to...

"With a little effort you can tell where an italian comes from just by hearing how he pronounces vowels."
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 05:23 pm
Ti ringrazio le correzioni, Raphillon.

Italians still can't tell a Coke from a Pepsi Sad.
Well, Americans still can't tell a common Barolo from a good Valpolicella Sad.
Did you know that Modenese wine makers used to inject fizz unto the Lambrusco that was to be exported to the USA? "Mentre più somiglia alla Coca-Cola, più ne vogliono".
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 06:55 pm
Yes, that is the only Lambrusco I've had, and that was with Chinese food in Los Angeles. Pfui.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 06:57 pm
On second thought, I might have had a glass of Lambrusco in Modena...
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 09:06 pm
Raphillon wrote:

When I learned Italian, first they knew my mother tongue was Spanish; then they thought my mother tongue was Italian but couldn't tell where from, so they asked me if I was from Ticino (Switzerland); later, they could tell I was from the North; finally they were positive I was Modenese (the most Emilian of Emilian accents, which is not very fancy... actually not fancy at all).
Now, after almost 18 years of my last prolongued stay in Italy, I still think I can be mistaken for an Emilian, but perhaps (or most probably) I'm at phase one or two again. LOL.
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 03:14 am
kickycan wrote:
Okay, now I'm going to try to help a little bit with your english.

Thanks. I'm very happy with my decision to sign in A2K: I'm not only learning a lot, but also making some new friend Smile

fbaezer wrote:
Ti ringrazio le correzioni, Raphillon.

Italians still can't tell a Coke from a Pepsi .
Well, Americans still can't tell a common Barolo from a good Valpolicella .
Did you know that Modenese wine makers used to inject fizz unto the Lambrusco that was to be exported to the USA? "Mentre più somiglia alla Coca-Cola, più ne vogliono".

You are welcome (but you should say "ti ringrazio delle (or "per le") correzioni", just as you say "I thank you for...")

About the wine.... That sounds like a sacrilege to me Sad I'm not really an expert about wines, but I do appreciate to taste some good one when I have the occasion, I prefer wines from the south, generally, a good primitivo di manduria or falanghina del taburno... very good :wink:
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 03:18 am
ossobuco wrote:
Yes, that is the only Lambrusco I've had, and that was with Chinese food in Los Angeles. Pfui.

That sounds really awful, especially if it was one of those fizz-added one.... Shocked

Quote:
On second thought, I might have had a glass of Lambrusco in Modena...

That sounds a lot better... Cool
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 10:37 am
Yes, I hated that fizzy Lambrusco. I am not positive I had lambrusco at that midday meal in Modena. I checked my notes, and see I only wrote down the ossobuco!

I was only in Modena one full day, back in 1999 - not long enough; I'll have to go back one day. I have hopes of seeing Ferrara, Mantova, Verona, Ravenna, and Padova on my next trip.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 10:47 am
Osso, Lambrusco is g-r-e-a-t.

But there are different qualities.

Once I tasted the USA export and it was, exactly, Pfui.
Then come the "discrete" lambruschi. Civ&Civ, Cooperative Riunite, etcetera.
Then come the better ones, the aristocracy. Lambrusco di Sorbara is my favorite. And after Sorbara, IMO, come Lambrusco Salamino e Lambrusco Grasparossa di Castelvetro.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 10:56 am
Grazie, Fbaezer. We do not have a good wine shop where I live now, but next time I am in San Francisco I'll go to one of the italian stores and look for those lambruchi (?) and the southern wines Raphillon mentioned.

I am going to print these two current italian threads out, to enhance my memory of the grammar I am learning, and savor the songs.
0 Replies

Laeknir Scrat

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 11:24 am
Hey, this thread got good! (Not that it started badly Smile ).

One thing I know about Italian wine is that a bottle of Chianti does not quench your thirst when you are gobbling a lot of prosciutto crudo. It makes you thirstier and thirstier!
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 02:30 pm
Two quick questions:

How do you say "play an instrument"?

What's the difference between 'troppo', 'piuttosto' and 'molto'?
0 Replies