DOES ANYONE KNOW BASIC ITALIAN??

Raphillon

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 11:59 am
Hallo, everybody.

I'm not sure if it is right to post here my very first intervention and I think I should apologize for my awful English, but this topic trigged my interest, so I registered myself to the forum.

I'm Italian, I was born in Rome in 1969 and lived in Naples, Padua, Milan and again, finally in Rome.

I'm tying to find out what really people over the world think about Italy, and to improve my English in the process would be a good add-on...

But I can also help, should anybody have questions about my country Smile

For example...
Quote:
A cornetto, in my small experience, is a croissant, a breakfast pastry

That's right, It owes it's name to it's shape, like a couples of horns (Corna in Italian)

http://www.nuovasantarosa.com/cornetto.JPG

This is a simple one, but you ca have a cornetto filled with cream, chocolate cream or marmellata :wink:

Feel free to ask, while I look around the forum and learn what you write about
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 09:22 am
Welcome, Raphillon!
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 10:28 am
George wrote:
Welcome, Raphillon!

Thanks Smile
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 11:36 am
Hey, Raphillon, count me in on the welcome too. I am learning italian and any new people who can help me out are my new best friends!
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 12:20 pm
kickycan wrote:
Hey, Raphillon, count me in on the welcome too. I am learning italian and any new people who can help me out are my new best friends!

Grazie dell'accoglienza. Se potrò aiutarti in qualunque modo coi tuoi studi, sarò ben lieto di farlo.

(Thanks for wellcoming me. If I'll be able to help you in any way I will be glad to do.)
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 01:26 pm
Grazie Mille, Raphillon.

Ho studiato italiano in una scuola per circa sei mese, ma adesso sto provando a imparare senza la scuola, quindi ho bisogno dell'aiuto qualche volta.

Also, I will be glad to help you out with your English, although it seems that you already have a pretty good grasp of it already.
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 03:56 am
kickycan wrote:
Grazie Mille, Raphillon.

Ho studiato italiano in una scuola per circa sei mese, ma adesso sto provando a imparare senza la scuola, quindi ho bisogno dell'aiuto qualche volta.

Also, I will be glad to help you out with your English, although it seems that you already have a pretty good grasp of it already.

I would say I'm able to write a post in a quite correct English, but I'm still very, very far from perfection. First of all I tend to use a very poor vocabulary Rolling Eyes And I have a lot of doubts about lots of English forms, so your help will be welcome.

Your Italian seems quite good too, you show a good use of verbs, witch should be the most difficult thing.... there are two very little errors in your phrase, anyway

The first one may just be a typing error: should be "sei mesi", not "sei mese" because you can not use the singular "mese" with the plural "sei"

The second is a difference between Italian and English languages:

"ho bisogno dell'aiuto qualche volta" should be "ho bisogno di aiuto qualche volta"

this is because the "preposizione" (poor vocabulary: I don't know the word in english Rolling Eyes ) "dell'" is a composite one ("di" + "lo") and you should not use the articulus when you leave the object of the phrase unspecified.

For example "Ho bisogno dell'aiuto di Paolo" (You specify whose help you need) but "Ho bisogno di aiuto"

or "ha bisogno di vitamine" but "ha bisogno delle vitamine C ed A"

Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 11:02 am
Anch'io sto in ascolto della discussione. Ho studiato la lingua italiana molti anni fa, e adesso faccio molti sbagli.

Heh, I made many mistakes back then; I make many more mistakes now.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 11:11 am
Oh, I saw Raphillon's response this morning and I wanted to thank him, but I forgot. Thanks for jumping in here, Osso, and reminding me.

Grazie, Raphillon. You were right about "sei mesi". I knew that, I just made a mistake in writing it. But the rest of what you said was something that I haven't learned yet. What you said makes sense to me. Thank you.

Also...preposizione = preposition
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 11:35 am
By the way, Raphillon, I'm no English teacher, but I will try to help you with whatever I can.

Da cuanto tempo studi inglese?
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 11:44 am
Ho una domanda:

perché in la coniugazione dei verbi regulari che terminano in -are hanno un accento differente quando si usano con loro come soggetto?
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 12:44 pm
kickycan wrote:
By the way, Raphillon, I'm no English teacher, but I will try to help you with whatever I can.

Da cuanto tempo studi inglese?

Well, I'm not studying English anymore, but I did for some years quite some time ago. I'm trying to practice it, anyway, recently I was near the Colisseum and a guy approched me with a clear distressed look and a desperate request for directions, I was afraid to discover the difficulties I had to explain myself, so I made the statement to exercise and improve a little Smile

And... Ehem.... it is "quanto", actually :wink:

Quote:
Anch'io sto in ascolto della discussione. Ho studiato la lingua italiana molti anni fa, e adesso faccio molti sbagli.

Heh, I made many mistakes back then; I make many more mistakes now.

Hi, Ossobuco, nice to meet you. You have chosen real a "good" nick: I do like ossobuchi very much Cool

Your Italian phrase is correct, bravo!

Stilistically I would prefere "Anche io ascolto la discussione", witch is more direct and familiar, but you made no real mistake in your sentence. Please do correct my English too, or I'm going to feel myself like "un vecchio professore in una marsina consumata, con una bacchetta di frassino nella mano destra, una borsa sdrucita, le scarpe rotte e tasche vuote che non vedono una lira da molto tempo" Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 12:48 pm
I am late for work and will savor your answer later today, Raphillon. Ciao!
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 01:20 pm
JoeFX wrote:
Ho una domanda:

perché in la coniugazione dei verbi regulari che terminano in -are hanno un accento differente quando si usano con loro come soggetto?

You mean in the indicative present?

Let's try with "Cenare" ('bout time, here :wink: )

Io cèno
tu cèni
lui cèna
noi ceniàmo
voi cenàte
loro cènano

Hey you are right the accent switches from the "sillaba" (curse that poor vocabulary again Rolling Eyes ) next to the last. I really don't know why....

You know I was born here, for me the accent is an instinctive matter, I didn't notice that before, but I will ask someone as soon as I can, I promise.

About your phrase....

perché la coniugazione dei verbi regolari che terminano in -are ha un accento differente quando si usa (but "viene usata" is stilisically better") con "loro" come soggetto?

This is because "la coniugazione" is the subject so it doesn't accept the preposition "in". You could also switch to a completely reflexive form:

perché nella (in+la) coniugazione dei verbi regolari che terminano in -are si ha un accento differente quando si usa (but "viene usata" is stilisically better") con "loro" come soggetto?

:wink:
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 01:21 pm
Raphilion, I see some little errors in your writing:

Prefere is prefer, this could be a typing error.

Witch is actually a female magician, just like the villians in the disney movies. The dictionary tells me the italian word is fattucchiera.
The word you are looking for is 'which'.

You have chosen real a "good" nick
imo (in my opinion)
is best said "You have chosen a really good nick"
The article goes before the adjective.

Welcome to A2K Smile
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 01:21 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I am late for work and will savor your answer later today, Raphillon. Ciao!

Ciao, Ossobuco, have a nice day!
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 01:26 pm
JoeFX wrote:
Raphilion, I see some little errors in your writing:

Prefere is prefer, this could be a typing error.

Witch is actually a female magician, just like the villians in the disney movies. The dictionary tells me the italian word is fattucchiera.
The word you are looking for is 'which'.

You have chosen real a "good" nick
imo (in my opinion)
is best said "You have chosen a really good nick"
The article goes before the adjective.

Welcome to A2K Smile

Thanks both for your welcoming and your correction Smile
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 01:56 pm
Uhm I was thinking about JoeFX question again.... It seem that the accent switch happens with all three coniugation:

"Conoscere" (to know)

io conòsco
tu conòsci
lui conòsce
noi conosciàmo
voi conoscète
essi conòscono

As well as

"Dormire" (to sleep)

Io dòrmo
Tu dòrmi
lui dòrme
noi dormiàmo
voi dormìte
essi dòrmono

I guess the switch is jast regular, I still don't know the reason of the rule, anyway....
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 02:19 pm
sillaba = syllable

Quote:
Uhm I was thinking about JoeFX question again.... It seem that the accent switch happens with all three coniugation:

Uhm I was thinking about JoeFX's question again.... It seems that the accent switch happens with all three conjugations:

The 's following a noun denotes possession of the object. If the noun ends with an s, just add the apostrophe.

Quote:
I guess the switch is jast regular, I still don't know the reason of the rule, anyway....

I guess the switch is just regular, I still don't know the reason of the rule, anyway...

The phrase works without the word 'just'.

Thanks for you answer, there must be some kind of rule although it seems that the correct way to pronounce words will come with practice.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 07:54 pm
Joe, when I learned what bits I know of italian, the pronunciation in the third person plural in the various conjugations was taught as a given, simply how one said the words.

However, it fits somewhat with my grasp of some other pronunciations that have surprised me, and that one has to learn as "the way it is". Many three syllable words have emphasis on the antipenult; say, for example, Mar-i-a.
Some don't; for example, Medici, which unless I've been saying it wrong all this time, has the accent on the first syllable.
0 Replies