Threatened with divorce once again- am I crazy?

Debra Law

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 02:30 pm
Mit2727:

I recommend that you read the articles on the marriage builder's website:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/

Most women desire affection, attention, conversation, and companionship. Women don't get married so they can sit on the couch every night feeling alone and neglected while their husbands are glued to the television or a computer screen.

Women seek divorces far more often than men do. Most women will seek a divorce or separation when their most important emotional needs are NOT being met.
0 Replies

mit2727

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 02:32 pm
Sozobe--

You recommended that I offer to give up poker temporarily. I have- I have offered to give up poker for six months and then agree on how much I should play AND I have offered to give up poker COMPLETELY if she goes to counciling with me to work out our issues. She has rejected both offers, what else can I do other than submit to her will one more time. Debra- should I have to chose between my wife and divorce every time we dissagree, doesn't that meen she can make me do whatever she wants all the time? I thought I made it clear that this is not the first time she has made these ultimatums and it won't be the last- that's why I think we need counseling, there is a better way of getting waht we want out of each other than threatening divorce and kicking me out of my own house every time she wants me to do something I don't want to do. Is it so stubborn of me to insist on this????
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 02:47 pm
Mit2727--

Given your wife's arbitrary irrationality, why do you choose to remain married to her?
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 02:56 pm
I think you're being overly dramatic.

I doubt that your wife threatens you with divorce every time you disagree with her.

It would be nice if your wife sat down with you and explained her feelings. It would be nice if your wife told you how neglected she felt every night when you were glued for several hours to your poker games. It would be nice if your wife told you that she did not feel that her needs are not being met. But, I think she has made her feelings well known to you over a long period of time and you ignored those feelings.

I doubt that the choice she gave you simply came out of the blue.

She wants to spend time with you. She wants to share companionship and conversation with you. She wants your attention. She loves you. She wouldn't want those things if she didn't love you. She didn't get married to you so she could spend her evenings alone on the couch. If you are unable or unwilling to fullfill those essential needs that a woman expects to have fullfilled when she marries, then you should not be surprised when she says she wants a divorce.

But, you don't approve of threatening divorce. So, I guess you're at an impasse. Divorce is inevitable . . . unless . . . .

Well, maybe you still ought to take the time to review the marriage builder's website:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 03:03 pm
mit2727 wrote:
Ticomaya,

Thanks for the last post and please don't take this the wrong way, but can any marriage survive with an imbalence of power or ultimatums and threats of divorce over any issue? Did yours?

Can't answer about the long term. I'm still married though. Our latest "big fight" was last July. I've decided we fight about soccer way too much, and soccer is just not that important to me to be fighting about all the time. So, I refuse to fight about it.

My ego and pride has been bruised in the process of my giving in to her on this issue, but I don't doubt for a second that I am a better person as a consequence. I'd like to think I'm never in the wrong, and that my wife was being irrational, but that would be my ego talking. I'd certainly not be considering things from her perspective. As I said, this really boils down to your making a choice.

If you choose your wife over poker, I recommend you give in to her wishes in regard to not playing poker. Do not place conditions upon this. But I also recommend that you get that counseling so you guys can talk about communication, and boundaries. I suspect she will agree to doing this, but not if you are going to force her to go as a condition of your abiding by her wishes. I think Debra is right ... your wife's emotional needs aren't being met. Your seeing that and giving up poker will go a long way toward showing her you understand those needs, and are willing to meet them.

Frank: Not sure I qualify as a "mouse" in any other discussion, except where my wife is concerned. :wink:
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 03:05 pm
AAAAHHHHHHHH!!! I would go INSANE if this were my life! Who died and made her king?

The problem here is definetly hers but you are making it worse by giving in to her tantrums. She is being a child and you are reinforcing her behavoir. Tell her that you will NOT give up poker. You WILL limit your poker time and negotiate an acceptable schedule. Once a month is surely not an unacceptable amount. Even twice a month, if time allows you to spend enough time with her. This sounds like a security issue.

You need to get thee to a counselor or you will be divorced. Your wife has bigger issues than control, IMO.

If you give up all your "me" time, you might as well say goodbye to you. Why did she marry you if what she really wanted was a dog?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 03:08 pm
Re: Threatened with divorce once again- am I crazy?
mit2727 wrote:
She starts destroying my clothes until I unlock the door.

This is such bad behavior I don't even know what to say. >>sigh<< How old is your wife? 6?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 03:20 pm
If she won't go to counselling with you, I'm not really sure what the point of trying to stay in the relationship is. Relationships are, I think, supposed to be about give and take, not so much push and pull.

Good luck, mit2727.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 03:24 pm
I agree with Frank and some of the others. I personally couldn't or wouldn't live with a person who orders me around. If she can't live with you the way you are then she should file for divorce and move on.
This is truly an unhealthy relationship and I am very happy to hear that there are no children involved.
My advice is to get the divorce because I don't see her even trying to meet you half way.
It seems that she wants more attention from you, but instead of demanding you spend more time with her, she should just sit down and calmly talk to you about it or has she tried that and it didn't work?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 03:28 pm
"Gemme, gemme, gemme, becomes a habit that's hard to overcome once it's see to be successful. Limit, limit, limit, only goes on deaf ears.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 03:36 pm
I agree CI. Sounds like a parent/child relationship.
0 Replies

mit2727

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 04:16 pm
One night a week seems fair to me- I am willing to let her do anything she wants the rest of the week, even if it meens dragging me along. She says SHE will decide when I can play and I should TRUST her not to be unreasonable because she knows I enjoy playing. This is EXACTLY what I don't want-- as said, I would rather give up Poker all together and strike some kind of compromise then give her some kind of indefinate authority over my future actions, but she has refused- she wants the control. She wants me to ask permission before I do anything. This creates an unhealthy parent/child relationship as some have mentioned. How can the others say this is healthy? I realize that playing too much may be neglectfull given I work a 70-80 hour/week job, but we go to the theater and the ballet and movies and rockets games, out with our friends and all that stuff at least two nights a week.

She has asked me not to play calmly before, and like said, I have complied with those requests 99% of the time. This is about the 1% when I want to play a game and don't see why I shouldn't. Is that neglect?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 04:25 pm
I'm not sure if it's neglect or not since I haven't heard her side of the story, but you have to decide if you want to continue to live with a controlling person. I've know people like you say your wife is and they were never able to change that about themselves. Some people like to control everything in their lives including their husbands, children, and even friends, so you have to ask yourself if you're willing to continue to live with that.
Your wife has made it quite clear that she won't budge, so you know what that means if you choose to accept that.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 04:28 pm
I also see that you said that you are willing to "let her" do anything she wants the rest of the week and I wonder if the control thing might not just be one sided.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 04:37 pm
Montana wrote:
I also see that you said that you are willing to "let her" do anything she wants the rest of the week and I wonder if the control thing might not just be one sided.

Me too. It sounds like two dominant personalities that are using these "1%" of disagreements to try to establish dominance over the other. Wink
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 04:38 pm
mit2727 (btw you a tech grad?) is your wife's opposition to counselling due to:

(a) refusal to consult "counsellors" and suchlike psycho-experts under any circumstances (many people fall into that category) or,
(b) refusal to accept 3rd party intermediation of any kind?

If the former, have you tried asking her to visit with you a lawyer, clergyman (if you're churchgoers), or family friend in order to discuss the problem?

If the latter - say you're wondering if you're addicted to online poker gaming, plan to see a medic about it, and would appreciate her presence in that consultation since she may be able to contribute info you have overlooked or forgotten.

Does she refuse to have (human!) poker buddies once a week in the house for a game, btw, or is this purely an opposition to online gaming - if you're headed for the divorce courts anyway (been there 3 times, though never to do with card games!) it's better for you to have witnesses.

Good luck.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 04:39 pm
They'll continue to have a very interesting relationship - if it lasts.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 04:42 pm
fishin' wrote:
Montana wrote:

Me too. It sounds like two dominant personalities that are using these "1%" of disagreements to try to establish dominance over the other. Wink

Hmmmm.....<rubbing chin>
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 04:58 pm
Quote:
In an abundance of fairness, I probably play too much poker. I play I would say, on average, two hours a night- about as much as most people watch TV, but maybe my wife has a point in that is disconnects me from her more than watching TV does, but I think the jury is still out on that one.

Quote:
I realize that playing too much may be neglectfull given I work a 70-80 hour/week job, but we go to the theater and the ballet and movies and rockets games, out with our friends and all that stuff at least two nights a week.

Quote:
One night a week seems fair to me- I am willing to let her do anything she wants the rest of the week, even if it meens dragging me along.

You work 70-80 hours a week and then you want to come home, relax, and spend an average of 2 hours a night playing online poker. When in the heck do you find time to go to the theather, ballet, movies, and rocket games at least two nights a week? But, alas, you're willing to spend time with her -- if she drags you along.

It doesn't sound like the TWO of you have very much time together at all let alone any quality time together.

Is that neglecting your wife's most important emotional needs? YES. It spells: D-I-V-O-R-C-E.

Have your wife post. It would be interesting to hear her side.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 05:02 pm
Debra? .......I agree with you totally. GREAT posts! :wink: I think you've pretty much said it all.
0 Replies