Threatened with divorce once again- am I crazy?

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 08:55 pm
Well, thank you, osso. Appreciate that! Wink
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 09:34 pm
I agree to a point. Here I sit on the computer checking in at A2K. Last night I sat at the computer winning a couple thousand dollars playing Texas Hold'Em at Pokerroom.com (play money, darn). At the same time Mr B was on his computer playing a computer game and watching TV. We were both engaged in 'me time' and it was enjoyable for both of us. The difference is that MrsMit has expressed concerns about his 'me time', which he admits has been excessive, for years. There's nothing wrong with individual pursuits within a marriage as long as the time spent isn't done to avoid interacting with the other partner.

During my first marriage I worked 12 hour days and brought work home. I was convinced the amount of time spent on it was necessary to do the job right. Once my husband and I separated (my choice) I found myself leaving the office after a nine hour day and enjoying quiet evenings at home or out with friends. I was in the same job but it didn't seem to take quite so long to get my work done as it did during my marriage. I honestly hadn't realised that I was filling my waking hours with work to avoid having any time to interact with my husband.

My original suggestion to Mit was to look at his actions in terms of how much of his time was being directed toward self-nurturing. This is oftentimes a result of not getting enough from our relationships. Mit has said much about what he gives to his marriage and his wife, he hasn't mentioned what he gets out of it. I'm hearing that he has a sense of obligation to stay in a marriage whether he gets anything from it or not. It is only natural that he will look for ways to feel good in his life and if that doesn't come, at least in part, from his relationship then it will come only from his work and his hobbies.

Mit, you say you wife has no outside interests. That's a very sad place to be and I hope for her sake she can become involved in something enjoyable. I still don't know what that will bring to you from your marriage.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 09:41 pm
JB
That's a good point as well, but I'm wondering if Mrs. Mit is wanting to consume all of his free time.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 09:54 pm
It could be, but he's said that he enjoys one activity after another until she forbids it. Maybe I'm sticking my situation into his but my first husband resented anything I did that didn't include him. I felt suffocated while at the same time I was unknowingly blocking him out. He took a different tack than MrsMit though. I took up golf, he took up golf. I took up scuba, he took up scuba. The only place I ever found some personal space was with my work. I'm wondering if Mit is filling his hours with personal interests because he doesn't have much of a relationship with his wife.

I could be very wrong, Mit. But you sound a lot like me a number of years ago - that's why I read the book :wink:
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 10:02 pm
That's surely some food for thought, JB.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 10:21 pm
J_B wrote:
I agree to a point. Here I sit on the computer checking in at A2K. Last night I sat at the computer winning a couple thousand dollars playing Texas Hold'Em at Pokerroom.com (play money, darn). At the same time Mr B was on his computer playing a computer game and watching TV. We were both engaged in 'me time' and it was enjoyable for both of us. The difference is that MrsMit has expressed concerns about his 'me time', which he admits has been excessive, for years. There's nothing wrong with individual pursuits within a marriage as long as the time spent isn't done to avoid interacting with the other partner.

During my first marriage I worked 12 hour days and brought work home. I was convinced the amount of time spent on it was necessary to do the job right. Once my husband and I separated (my choice) I found myself leaving the office after a nine hour day and enjoying quiet evenings at home or out with friends. I was in the same job but it didn't seem to take quite so long to get my work done as it did during my marriage. I honestly hadn't realised that I was filling my waking hours with work to avoid having any time to interact with my husband.

My original suggestion to Mit was to look at his actions in terms of how much of his time was being directed toward self-nurturing. This is oftentimes a result of not getting enough from our relationships. Mit has said much about what he gives to his marriage and his wife, he hasn't mentioned what he gets out of it. I'm hearing that he has a sense of obligation to stay in a marriage whether he gets anything from it or not. It is only natural that he will look for ways to feel good in his life and if that doesn't come, at least in part, from his relationship then it will come only from his work and his hobbies.

Mit, you say you wife has no outside interests. That's a very sad place to be and I hope for her sake she can become involved in something enjoyable. I still don't know what that will bring to you from your marriage.

Not having read further, I have to post that that is very insightful. I did get this, but didn't get so far as posting it; it rings true, to me, anyway.
0 Replies

mit2727

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 08:39 am
Quote:

Well maybe I was painting a one sided picture. My wife drives me crazy, but I do deeply love her. What I get out of the relationship? I enjoy spending 90% of our time together. I enjoy going on trips with my wife, eating dinner with her every day and lunch three days a week. I enjoy talking to her on the phone at work, and at home after the day is done. I enjoy going to the gym with her (on the rare chance she goes) and I enjoy going out with our friends. We have a healthy physical relationship, which I enjoy (not to give too much info.), and I have no desire to be any other women. . .

So I DO enjoy my marriage, which is one of the reasons I don't want to get divorced. But I also, as JB points out, like to spend a fair amount of time pursuing my own interests, and am pretty miserable when I can't do this. Does this mean I don't want to be married? That's not a retorical question, I really am confused.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 08:52 am
I don't think so, at all.

Everyone has their own experience to bring to this, their own prism. For me, by far the unhealthiest long-term relationship I was in was one where we spent our every waking (and sleeping) moment together. Both of us became un-whole people, which carried its own risks and itself led to the end of the relationship, and then when it was done I had a two-year hole in my life where I'd basically made no new friends -- this one guy had been my everything.

That's not right.

Another word on counseling: I've been a proponent since the beginning, but at the beginning I thought this relationship was doomed and the counseling would be the best and smoothest way to confirm this and get out. I'm still not sure, but I think you have more invested and more hope than I had originally thought. My advice is the same, and the suggested approach is the same, but with maybe a slightly different spin -- making the spin about how you want to help her be happy. That she's very important to you, and your marriage is very important to you, and that you want to do everything you can to make it strong -- including being told that she's right and you're wrong by an objective, professional third party. ;-) (I doubt that would actually happen, but as part of your sell job.)

What you describe seems unsustainable -- something that will get better and worse and better and worse on a steadily declining curve -- and I really think that despite your wishes to be stoic and just stick it out, counseling is your best hope.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 09:28 am
mit2727 wrote:
So I DO enjoy my marriage, which is one of the reasons I don't want to get divorced. But I also, as JB points out, like to spend a fair amount of time pursuing my own interests, and am pretty miserable when I can't do this. Does this mean I don't want to be married? That's not a retorical question, I really am confused.

Not in my estimation. But what you want and what she wants right now are not the same thing ... at least on the level of free time. She has insecurities, and no outside interests right now, so you are her life. When she sees you taking time away from her to pursue your own interests, she interprets it as you wanting to be away from her, and that does not sit well with her insecurities. She needs a hobby besides you. Hopefully you can help her see that in a loving, caring way ... a way that communicates to her that you love spending time with her, but need SOME decompression time. And a good counselor can help with the communication process.
0 Replies