We Have A Republican Party Waging A War Against Women And Women's Healthcare.

maxdancona

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2018 03:20 pm
@maxdancona,

0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2018 03:56 pm
@Real Music,

maxdancona

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2018 04:14 pm
@neptuneblue,

Is this thread going to just become funny propaganda videos?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2018 04:15 pm
To no one in particular, how about we pretend the word War was not used and instead, it was called “Conservatives strive to prevent women from getting contraception items”. Abortion is not on the table, just the fact that certain people without proper medical training (that would include dentists, othamologists, chiropractors etc.) are not qualified to made health decisions for all women.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2018 04:29 pm
@glitterbag,
Glitterbag, what is wrong with you saying to women who disagree with you that you respect them even though they are on the other side of this issue. These women are human beings, and they are doing what they believe is right. They don't want to be at war with you.

You are insulting any woman who is pro-life... simply because you disagree with her. Women who believe that abortion should be illegal say that it is because "abortion takes a life". Why can't you accept this? Do you really think they are lying.

You are saying that 38% of woman are at war with other women? This war talk is ridiculous propaganda.

This is a partisan attack. Democrats good. Republicans bad. It is nothing more.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2018 04:37 pm

Quote:
They've bulldozed over this message that woman's rights are just their thing. Well, it's not just their thing. We are woman. There are pro-life women who want to have their voices heard and we believe in full rights as well.

neptuneblue

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2018 04:50 pm
@maxdancona,
Again, you're only focused on one aspect, abortion.

So, I reiterate, many issues encompass women's healthcare such as charging women MORE for SAME medications, hassles about OBTAINING a prescription for birth control and FILLING such prescriptions, having adequate REPRESENTATION at panel discussions that lead into LEGISLATION of women's health issues, and other topics that relate to women.

In fact, you've check for yourself that women DO get charged more for the very same product. Yet you hightail it back to abortion. You're not listening, you're trolling.

0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2018 04:51 pm
@maxdancona,
No I am not at war with other women on abortion. I would never counsel a woman to get an abortion and if someone confided in me that a boyfriend or husband was insisting on an abortion I would help her avoid such capitulation. You only want to talk about abound and yammer on and on if others don’t use the EXACT words you want to hear.

Do you also have a problem with contraception? Do you define it as pre-abortion, I don’t understand why you can’t see the difference between ending a pregnancy and PREVENTING a pregnancy. What I can’t fathom is the idea that women sit around fighting with each other about their sex lives, their reproductive health and then shaming each other. You don’t seem to know many women, or else you believe that women can’t take care of themselves or be able to deal with differing females opinions.

What makes you think I would ever be at war with another woman who finds abortion unthinkable or one who would choose to make a difficult choice. I think you don’t really listen or believe what I write about, you insist I have some sense of ‘I know what is good for all women, listen to me or we will be at war’.........sometimes I think you are incapable and unwilling to actually listen.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2018 05:01 pm
@glitterbag,
You are apparently at war with any woman who believes that abortion should be illegal. There are lots of women who believe that abortion should illegal in most cases, and even more who believe that it should be strictly regulated.

My personal personal opinion is that abortion should be "safe, legal and rare". I believe that abortion should be legal, at the woman's choice, until some point... probably around the third trimester. The issue about what laws should restrict abortion is a difficult one for many of us. But my opinion isn't the issue here.

There are women on both sides of this issue. Many women (38% at least) believe that abortions should be illegal in "all or most" cases... meaning that they believe that since abortion ends a life, the government should regulated the practice. There are tens of millions of women who believe that abortion should be illegal (i.e. their should be laws either ending or restricting it).

Can you accept these women disagree with you, but they are still human beings? They are saying very clearly that the issue for them is saving life. Do you have to tell them that they are lying? Saying that anyone who disagrees with you about what our laws should be, including women, are in a "war against women" is nasty political propaganda. You aren't treating these women with any respect .

I am not asking you to agree with them. I am simply asking for you to treat them with enough respect that you aren't accusing these women of being part of a "war on women".
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2018 05:25 pm
It should be possible to disagree with someone without considering them "evil". In today's political climate, we seem to have lost this ability.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2018 05:35 pm
@maxdancona,
You should follow your own advice. You insist I have views that I don't have, This behavior, Max is one the reasons I avoid you because I find you pigheaded and obnoxious. You happen to one of those people who cannot take yes for answer.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2018 05:47 pm
@glitterbag,
Control freaks can't accept that they're ever at fault. Their advice is the best, and everyone should do as they say. If everyone did that everything would be alright, and they don't think they're being unreasonable in expecting that.

That's why they can't handle in when people aren't interested. They start imagining weird conspiracy theories and start attributing thoughts, opinions, ideologies and even experiences to those who disagree with them.

That's a lot easier when you're also thoroughly dishonest.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2018 08:13 pm
@izzythepush,
It's pointless to attempt a meeting of the mind with people who insist they know what you think better than you do. He thinks women are in a war against him and all decent men who have the big bully feminist boot on their purer than pure pencil necks. ........but that's the right word control freak with a mad case of obsessive compulsive disorder.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2018 11:02 pm
Senator Elizabeth Warren on Women's Health Care.

Published on Jun 21, 2017

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2018 11:08 pm
13 Men Wrote A Health Care Bill That Would Hurt Women.

Published on Jun 30, 2017

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2018 03:22 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
No I am not at war with other women on abortion.

Glitterbag, let's try this again.

There are millions of women who believe that abortion should be illegal because it takes a life. These women aren't just saying "I don't like abortion so I won't have one". They are saying that abortion should be illegal, that it should be restricted for any woman.

You seem to want to deny these women don't exist. In fact there are group of women who believe abortion should be illegal, including liberals, feminists, anti-war.

You are having trouble dealing with pro-life women, apparently. If you are attacking pro-life position as a "war on women", then that means that women are waging on women, right... and you seem to be waging a war on them.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2018 03:25 pm
@maxdancona,
To answer your question, I have no problem with conception. In fact, I am pro-choice... I believe that abortion should be legal.

What I am opposed to is this ideological propaganda. Instead of admitting that this is a difficult issue with two sides, and instead of discussing it respectfully... this thread is making a nasty personal attack on anyone who disagrees (including women).

This is Democrats vs. Republicans, not men vs. women. There are women on both sides of the abortion issue; there are women who believe that abortion should be made illegal.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2018 06:49 pm
@maxdancona,
(oops, I just realized I typed that wrong... that should read "I have no problem with contraception".)
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2018 11:38 pm
@maxdancona,
You are getting your butt handed to you over on the "Abortion is immoral, period" thread. You have yet to say that any of the men are at war against women who believe abortion should be illegal for all women. I think you should ask yourself why you insist I need to apologize to women and stop treating them as less than human.......when you really should apologize to me for lying about my positions. But I'm one of the few women that still posts on this forum, and obviously you can easily slide into mansplaining whenever I post about anything that remotely mentions women, a woman or women issues. If I was on a thread discussing endometriosis, you would be hot on the trail hoping to catch me being a strident feminist, because (suddenly) you would know more about how it feels, what the risks are, and how you have assisted your sister or other female relatives thru the disorder and they all learned to relax and live with it. Bless you Max patron saint of womanhood.

As soon as I hit send, Max will be drafting another identical response accusing me of hating other women and thinking of them as sub-human. This is just Max's obsession, he doesn't care for me, and gets a tad pissed that I don't care.
neptuneblue

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2018 06:31 am
How states are fighting over women’s access to health care
Politics Jul 25, 2017 12:40 PM EDT

As Washington moved to reduce federal funding for women’s health this year, adversaries in the war over affordable birth control and other women’s health services shifted the battleground to state capitals — resulting in a spate of new laws that both expand and contract women’s access to care.

It happened quickly in Iowa. In May, then-Gov. Terry Branstad, a Republican, signed a bill defunding Planned Parenthood. Medicaid dollars stopped flowing to the group July 1, and four of the state’s Planned Parenthood clinics closed within a week.

That left nearly 15,000 women in small communities without access to reproductive health services, including cancer screenings, birth control, testing for and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases, and annual checkups.

Medicaid pays for three-quarters of all publicly supported women’s health programs. So when Iowa abruptly cut off Medicaid dollars to Planned Parenthood, it was game over, said Jodi Tomlonovik, executive director of the Family Planning Council of Iowa, which oversees distribution of federal and state money to women’s health clinics.

Iowa’s law, which applies to Planned Parenthood and any other women’s health clinics affiliated with a group that performs abortions, may also defund women’s clinics in the state’s largest health care system, UnityPoint Health, as well as the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, because certain clinics in both groups perform abortions in cases of fetal abnormalities, she said.

In three other states with GOP governors and legislatures — Arizona, Kentucky and South Carolina — 2017 state budgets that exclude Planned Parenthood and other women’s health clinics affiliated with an abortion provider from all state and federal funding may have similar effects on local clinics.

Women's access to health care

And in a first-of-its-kind approach to defunding abortion providers, Texas asked the federal government in May for permission to recreate a Medicaid family planning program it eliminated four years ago so it could create a state-funded plan. This time, Texas wants to exclude Planned Parenthood and other abortion providers from participating in the program, and fund it with federal Medicaid dollars.

If the request is approved, many more states can be expected to file similar applications, said Elizabeth Nash, a policy analyst at the Guttmacher Institute, which tracks reproductive health policy.

Expanding Access

In sharp contrast, Nevada and Maine, both led by Republican governors, enacted new laws mandating insurance companies cover the costs of all U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved forms of contraception without delay and without requiring women to try the cheapest method first, as some insurers now do.

Oregon, a state with a Democratic governor and Legislature, did the same thing, adding abortions to the list of reproductive services insurers must cover. And Maryland became the first state to enact a law committing state funds to Planned Parenthood if federal funds are taken away.

Lawmakers in California, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York and Wisconsin considered similar measures this year. Nevada appropriated $1 million over two years for family planning services to replace any cuts in federal money for Planned Parenthood.

States also enacted two other types of laws designed to ease access to birth control pills and other forms of contraceptives. Colorado, Maine, Nevada, New York, Virginia and Washington enacted laws requiring all insurers to cover 12-month prescriptions of birth control pills to make it easier for women to take the pills without interruption, particularly those who must travel long distances to a drugstore.

Maryland, New Mexico and Oregon enacted or updated laws allowing pharmacists to prescribe birth control pills, patches and other forms of contraception that do not require a doctor to administer.

Women's access to health care

The flurry of state legislative activity on women’s health issues this year is a direct result of the federal policy shifts on women’s health since President Donald Trump took office, said Danielle Wells, a spokeswoman on state policy issues for Planned Parenthood.

But she cautioned that state initiatives can only go so far to mitigate what she said would be very damaging effects on women’s health care if the federal government decides to defund Planned Parenthood.

“While it’s heartening to see state lawmakers put women’s health ahead of politics, at the end of the day, if Congress votes to prohibit individuals on Medicaid from accessing care at Planned Parenthood, no amount of state support will be able to fill that gap,” Wells said.

Without Planned Parenthood clinics, use of contraception would decline and abortion rates would likely rise, Nash said. Wider use of contraception accounted for a 14 percent drop in the U.S. abortion rate between 2011 and 2014, according to Guttmacher, and for a reduction in the rate of unplanned pregnancies as well.

But abortion opponents argue that the nation’s declining abortion rates are due to tougher state abortion laws, and they maintain that women will still be able to obtain birth control and other reproductive health services from a variety of other health care providers without funneling taxpayer dollars to Planned Parenthood.

“The issue is not contraception, the issue is why should we give the nation’s No. 1 abortion provider more than a half a billion dollars to provide a service that is better provided by other medical centers where women can receive full-service care,” said Kristi Hamrick, spokeswoman for Americans United for Life, an anti-abortion advocacy group.

Defunding Attempts

Over the last six years, a handful of Republican-led states have tried to chip away at funding for Planned Parenthood, one of the nation’s largest providers of women’s health care. The most common tactic has been to exclude the group from Medicaid’s network of providers.

Indiana was the first state that attempted to block Planned Parenthood funding, followed by Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma and Texas. In nearly every case, courts shot down their attempts to prohibit the abortion provider from participating in state Medicaid and federal grant programs.

In December, President Barack Obama signed a Health and Human Services ruleclarifying that states could not block funding to health care providers for purely political reasons.

But that policy was quickly reversed when Trump took office.

Less than four months into his administration, Trump signed a law allowing states to do just what they had been trying to do for years — exclude Planned Parenthood from Medicaid and other women’s reproductive health care programs, despite a federal Medicaid statute that prohibits it.

At the same time, Republicans in Congress repeatedly have called for elimination of the roughly $300 million federal grant program known as Title X that funds Planned Parenthood and other local family planning clinics.

And in May, a leaked Health and Human Services proposal revealed that the Trump administration intends to undo a provision in the federal health law that requires nearly all employers to include coverage of all forms of contraception in their employee health plans. If the proposal takes effect, it would make it easy for employers to opt out of coverage of contraception for religious or moral reasons.

More than 55 million women gained access to free contraception and preventive services under the ACA starting in 2013, according to the National Women’s Law Center.
Those actions and the uncertain future of the Affordable Care Act have stripped Planned Parenthood and many other women’s health clinics of any certainty about their financial future, causing some to put off any plans for expansion.

Back to States

Despite setbacks in Iowa and other states, Planned Parenthood’s Wells says women’s health advocates have been buoyed by their successes in several GOP states — and by the overall number of women’s health initiatives this year. She attributes the unprecedented level of state activity in support of her group and its goals to a national groundswell of activism that started with the Women’s March on Washington early this year, and the momentum in state capitols that has been sustained since.

But other women’s health advocates worry that just as many states, emboldened by the Trump administration’s apparent green light on defunding women’s health, will move quickly to cripple Planned Parenthood clinics in their states.

“People should be very concerned about what states are doing around Medicaid and women’s health now that the new administration has reversed Obama-era protections,” said Mara Gandal-Powers, senior counsel with the National Women’s Law Center.

A recent poll by the Kaiser Family Foundation found that three-quarters of the American public, and a majority of Republicans, favor continuing federal funding of Planned Parenthood for non-abortion services.

At least 38 million U.S. women of reproductive age need contraceptive services because they are sexually active and do not want to become pregnant, according to Guttmacher. In 2014, more than half of them needed subsidized services because they were unable to purchase contraception on their own. Thirty-nine percent of those received care at federally funded clinics, including Planned Parenthood, or from private practice doctors serving Medicaid enrollees.

For state Medicaid programs, preventing unintended pregnancies makes financial sense. Every dollar spent on publicly funded family services yields $4 in Medicaid savings, because unintended births are avoided, according to the National Partnership for Women and Families. Total public expenditures on unintended pregnancies in the U.S. were an estimated $21 billion in 2010, nearly a third of which was state money.

The potential demise of the Affordable Care Act, with its expansion of Medicaid and required coverage of birth control for all women at no cost, represents by far the biggest potential loss to women’s health.

More than 55 million women gained access to free contraception and preventive services under the ACA starting in 2013, according to the National Women’s Law Center.

“Things got better under the ACA. It reset the baseline,” Gandal-Powers said. “That’s why we’re seeing such vocal and active pushback against what is happening in women’s health now.”

This story was produced by Stateline, an initiative of The Pew Charitable Trusts. You can view the original report on its website.
0 Replies