Olivier5

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 04:03 am
@Lash,
Don't stop at quoting random strangers from other platforms, invite them to a2k...

If you are interested in what random guys say, there was a discussion the other day in my place about who is worse: Trump, or Mussolini?
hightor

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 04:13 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Sometimes it’s good to lose one’s cool and show an emotion.

Yes. In private.
Quote:
Let’s hope Biden can show a bit of rage...

Spare us. Please.

Honestly, we don't need a "thespian-in-chief". Nothing looks worse than impotent rage on display.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.0GMdl9nzJcfESReF3SrJZAHaEK%26pid%3DApi&f=1
Olivier5

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 04:20 am
@hightor,
Why in private? What is the rationale here? That emotions are bad or untoward?
hightor

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 04:38 am
@Olivier5,
The display of emotion by leaders for public consumption is just another form of "virtue signalling" and contributes nothing of value to the national discussion. When people are angry and upset the last thing they need to see is their elected leader losing it. If you want to see hysteria on display go to the theater. I like leaders who exhibit thoughtfulness and calm during times of national turmoil. Manipulative fascists have historically engaged in histrionic display and it is form of manipulation which has no place in a democracy.
snood

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 04:59 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

You just lost me. It's your problem, not nine. No need to make a big deal about it either.

Considering the level of your contribution here, that’s no loss. Bye, Felicia.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 05:22 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
That is purely blatant racist bias speaking.

Progressives falsely accuse people of racism because they have no facts or logic to defend their demented ideology.

https://cdn.creators.com/1054/259422/259422_image.jpg
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 05:23 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:
Mr.Floyd might be alive if, among other things, the late Obama administration had friggin done its job and stepped up to the plate with regard to the murder of Eric Garner (July 2014) via chokehold while saying "I can't breathe!" as eventually terminated officer Daniel Panteleo ended Mr.Garner's life.

Injuries incurred while resisting arrest are hardly murder.

I'm not sure what you expected Mr. Obama to do. He didn't have the power to alter reality and change the fact that no murder occurred.

Perhaps if progressives didn't fritter away the statute of limitations insisting on charges that couldn't be proven, they could have gotten manslaughter charges.

But even that would have been a stretch. It is unlikely that a jury would convict a police officer for injuries that were clearly the result of resisting arrest.

Sturgis wrote:
Nobody else involved in Mr.Garner's murder was ever charger and even Panataleo held his job, with pay, until the Police Commissioner finally gave him the axe. (Panataleo, with a costly police misconduct history prior to that, is suing to be reinstated)

He is right to sue. He should get his job back, with full back pay.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 05:24 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:
This is at a time when most Americans who had a problem about the Garner murder still believed its was a "few bad apples".

Injuries sustained while resisting arrest are hardly murder.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 05:25 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
We won the election.

No you didn't. These denials of reality are pretty silly.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 05:26 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
These are nice words, but strangely subdued. Obama was way too cool with it, if you ask me.

What was Mr. Obama supposed to do, throw a temper tantrum?

If Eric Garner had not resisted arrest, he would not have sustained any injuries.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 05:31 am
@hightor,
I'm not talking about virtue signaling, which is a form of hypocrisy, but of the power of sincere emotions to change minds.

The risk of mutilating your emotions out of your discourse is to sound like a computer, to appear heartless, aloof, or technocratic. That's usually ineffective.
oralloy

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 05:32 am
@Olivier5,
I disagree. Facts and logic are superior. That was one of the good things about Mr. Obama's presidency.
oralloy

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 05:34 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
As I write this, I am experiencing some political intrigue at work - on a tiny scale , of course - but having to do with being perceived as too angry. As one of only three blacks in a huge department, and the only black male, I have to carefully choose my battles if I want to keep working there. I don’t fancy myself as any Obama, but my situation struck me as ironic when I read your post.

Good luck navigating that nonsense. The way lesser humans form such expectations of others can be pretty tedious to deal with.

I choose to disregard people's expectations of me. But I acknowledge that the backlash when I don't pander to their petty biases is tiresome sometimes. I can see why you and Mr. Obama both would rather manipulate such creeps than deal with their backlash.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 05:53 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
...but of the power of sincere emotions to change minds.

It's the emotion generated in the listener by the insightful words of the speaker that changes minds, not the level of emotivity conveyed, which can always be abused and exploited by speakers who have a talent for drama.

Quote:
The risk of mutilating your emotions out of your discourse is to sound like a computer, to appear heartless, aloof, or technocratic.
Dealing with your emotional responses is not the same as "mutilating" them, whatever that even means. Contemplate injustice in private, get angry, swear, cry, then pull yourself together. Don't carry your emotions around ready to display them for effect. There's no reason for a well-crafted rational response to appear heartless or artificial. I don't think Lincoln was jumping around and gesticulating like the Fuhrer when he gave his Gettysburg address, yet the emotions are clearly conveyed.

Olivier5

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 05:56 am
@oralloy,
Facts and logic will never tell you where to go next. Emotions are what motivates us to act. Without them, we’d be thinking legumes.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 06:00 am
@hightor,
Quote:
yet the emotions are clearly conveyed.

And that’s all I am asking for. Don’t erase emotions from political discourse. Use them, rather; channel them, express them, see what they tell you.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 06:15 am
@Olivier5,
I disagree. I always act on facts and logic, and disregard emotions.

The Vulcans had it right.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 06:16 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

You lost me after “dung”.

You should have stuck with it, Olivier, because Snood made some excellent points there for people taking the tack you are here.

Obama was walking a tight rope the entire time he was in the office...a tight rope no other president had ever had to walk. (Maybe JFK because of the Catholic issue.)

Go back an re-read that commentary...and think about what was said.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 06:26 am
@Olivier5,
Subdied? Rational, Presidential. It was also a different time. A lot of people thought two things then: bad apple cops and they felt Garner was a thug.

Change takes a tipping moment. We hadn't gotten to that tipping moment.
blatham

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 07:17 am
The New Yorker
@NewYorker
42m
“Trump has got to be defeated and, in a variety of ways, I intend to play an active role in that process.” An interview with Bernie Sanders.link
0 Replies