Lash

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 04:23 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Clearly, Trump and his allies know that their best chance of winning is to suppress turnout. That is what the Attorney General, William Barr, believes based on his gross exaggeration of the risk of voter fraud. So, too, many Republican governors and state legislators who are making it increasingly difficult for Americans to vote. And—let’s not forget—Trump himself. In the 2016 election, one arm of the Trump campaign was dedicated to convincing people—black folks and young people particularly—not to bother voting. This was in tandem with the efforts of Republican secretaries of state and other elected officials to enact draconian voter-registration requirements and redraw electoral maps, making it more difficult for people to vote. Or, if they did manage to cast ballots, to insure that their voices would be drowned out. These efforts persist, and, in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic, they have escalated, as the Attorney General floats a phony argument that foreign governments might manipulate mailed ballots, and the Republican National

Committee, following the lead of the President, is working to limit voting by mail because it believes mail ballots would extend the franchise to the “wrong” people. Add to this Trump’s attacks on the U.S. Postal Service, which recently saw the installation of one of his ideologues as its head; as the President knows, a working postal service is necessary to facilitate mailed ballots.
NYer

Just so we understand what Lash is currently up to.

Blatham is lying in your face.

Please vote for the resuscitation of this morbidly obese, morally bankrupt country.
#VoteGreen
To hell with the profiteers—and the thievin’ corrupt assholes in the DNC and RNC trying to goad you into a vote.

Screw them.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 04:45 pm
#VoteGreen

or Vote Putin
or Mickey Mouse

Either one. Same result, really.
blatham

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 04:59 pm
Quote:
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
27m
YOU DON’T BURN CHURCHES IN AMERICA!

Clearly a history buff, this guy. snap crackle pop

I guess he meant White people churches. Which is like way different.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 05:06 pm
It is some of the most bizarre behavior I've ever witnessed. The rationale is inexplicable. No one believes nor trusts her. The readership here is minuscule. It's a lot of effort for no gain, only further failure. Why?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 05:07 pm
Yeah, when the white trash bombed the 16th Street Baptist church on Sunday, September 15th, 1963, in Birmingham, Alabama, they didn't mean to burn it, just to bomb it a little. Those little girls were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/15/16th_Street_Baptist_Church_bombing_girls.jpg
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2020 04:53 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

#VoteGreen

or Vote Putin
or Mickey Mouse

Either one. Same result, really.

https://cdn0.iconfinder.com/data/icons/sport-balls/512/gold_medal.png
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2020 05:28 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Progressives saw that Russia trash for what it was immediately.

Indeed, true progressives like Sanders and AOC understand the grave threat posed by alien manipulation of US democratic debates, elections and institutions. That may be because they truly care, or perhaps they don't have their nose sucked up deep into Putin's lower intestine, unlike some other pretend progressives. Or simply because they are not completely stupid.

There was a joke during sovietic times that went like this:

God created three great virtues: intelligence, honesty, and communism. But since nobody is perfect, it is unfortunately impossible for one person to hold on to these three virtues at the same time... So, if you are communist and intelligent, you're often dishonest; if you are honest and communist, you're not very smart; and if you are intelligent and honest, well then you can't be communist.

Replace "communist" by "Russian tool" and you can see my dilema: I'm not sure whether people like you are dishonest or stupid, but it's one or the other.
snood

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2020 05:35 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:

Indeed, true progressives like Sanders and AOC understand the grave threat posed by alien manipulation of US democratic debates, elections and institutions. That may be because they truly care, or perhaps they don't have their nose sucked up deep into Putin's lower intestine, unlike some other pretend progressives. Or simply because they are not completely stupid.

God created three great virtues: intelligence, honesty, and communism. But since nobody is perfect, it is unfortunately impossible for one person to hold on to these three virtues at the same time... So, if you are communist and intelligent, you're often dishonest; if you are honest and communist, you're not
very smart; and if you are intelligent and honest, well then you can't be communist.

Replace "communist" by "Russian tool" and you can see my dilema: I'm not sure whether people like you are dishonest or stupid, but it's one or the other.

Wow. Bravo!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2020 07:42 am
If any actual progressive wanders onto the progressive thread: interesting news!!!

The magnificent Nina Turner announced today that she is going to have a podcast soon. I wish she wouldn’t rely so heavily on this phrase she coined during her incredible advocacy for Bernie “Hello Somebody”, but that’s the title of the podcast.

Sister will be slinging some truth and having some searing truthtellers on to talk real issues, real solutions, and hopefully, our path to the change we desire.

Might want to check out ‘The Hill Rising’ with Krystal Ball and Saagar Enjeti. She’s liberal, he’s Conservative and they address news that is covered and also avoided by the MSM.

Also ‘Useful Idiots’ with Katie Halper and the BRILLIANT Matt Taibbi.

Aaron Mate on Pushback

Rumble — Michael Moore

Moderate Rebels with Max Blumenthal

0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2020 11:27 am
@Olivier5,
That's perfect!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2020 12:05 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:

God created three great virtues: intelligence, honesty, and communism. But since nobody is perfect, it is unfortunately impossible for one person to hold on to these three virtues at the same time... So, if you are communist and intelligent, you're often dishonest; if you are honest and communist, you're not very smart; and if you are intelligent and honest, well then you can't be communist.

Never heard that joke before, but you can bet I will be using it in another forum before long.

Great story. And adaptable. I've already got some ideas for how to adapt it to today's world.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2020 02:59 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Why thanks. It's just an old refuznik joke.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2020 05:17 pm
@Olivier5,
There's a wonderful treasure of those jokes, I remember them though specifically they're buried in the dust of my memories. I used to teach English to refugees from Russia, Romania and Bulgaria and I heard so many of them. I wish I had written at least some of them down.

One I can remember was from a Bulgarian who told me about the wonderful cabbages that were grown in Bulgaria, but that to eat one I would have to go to Russia.
Real Music

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2020 08:45 pm
@Lash,
1. Bernie Sanders First to Sign Pledge to Rally Behind Democratic Nominee.
https://able2know.org/topic/509256-1

1. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez says she will get behind Joe Biden, a moderate, if he becomes the nominee.

2. AOC urges people to unite behind whoever becomes democratic nominee,
says defeating Trump 'More Important Than All of Us'

https://able2know.org/topic/546265-1
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2020 09:04 pm
Before the Death of Manuel Ellis, a Witness Told the Police: ‘Stop Hitting Him’

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/05/us/manuel-ellis-tacoma-video-unrest.html

The mayor of Tacoma, Wash., called for the firing and prosecution of officers involved in the arrest of Mr. Ellis after video clips of the encounter emerged.

By Mike Baker

June 5, 2020
Updated 6:00 p.m. ET

TACOMA, Wash. — A woman who witnessed the arrest of Manuel Ellis, a black man who died during the police encounter in Tacoma, Wash., has come forward to dispute the account provided by the police, saying officers themselves had initiated a confrontation so violent that she yelled at them to “stop hitting him.”

Sara McDowell, who was in a car behind the officers, said Friday in an interview that she saw Mr. Ellis approach the police car late on the night of March 3 for what she initially thought was a friendly conversation. But that suddenly changed, she said, when an officer threw open the car door and knocked Mr. Ellis to the ground.

The police have provided a different account, saying that Mr. Ellis initiated the confrontation when he picked up a police officer and threw him to the ground, prompting officers to move in to restrain him.

Ms. McDowell, who recorded parts of the encounter on video, said that the violence of the police response had appeared to her to be unprovoked.

In brief video clips captured by Ms. McDowell, the officers can be seen punching Mr. Ellis, 33, while he was on the ground. On one of the video clips, her voice can be heard calling out to them: “Stop. Oh my God, stop hitting him. Just arrest him.”

“I was terrified for his life, honestly,” Ms. McDowell said. “The way that they attacked him didn’t make sense to me. I went home and was sick to my stomach.”

Mr. Ellis died in the minutes following his arrest after pleading, “I can’t breathe” — an eerie echo of some of the final words from other black men who have died in police custody, including Eric Garner and George Floyd.

Ms. McDowell said she did not realize until this week that Mr. Ellis had died in the aftermath of what she saw.

The Pierce County Sheriff’s Department, which has been investigating the death, had no immediate comment on Ms. McDowell’s account or on the two videos she posted of the arrest.

The county medical examiner’s office reported this week that Mr. Ellis died from respiratory arrest, hypoxia and physical restraint and categorized the death as a homicide. The report listed methamphetamine intoxication and heart disease as contributing factors.

After Ms. McDowell’s videos were posted online on Thursday, Tacoma’s mayor, Victoria Woodards, released a video message late that night saying she was enraged by what she saw and was directing the city manager to fire all of the officers involved.

“The officers who committed this crime should be fired and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law,” Ms. Woodards said.

While the videos show only two officers arresting Mr. Ellis, the Tacoma Police Department has identified four officers involved in the arrest: Christopher Burbank, 34; Matthew Collins, 37; Masyih Ford, 28; and Timothy Rankine, 31. Two of the officers are white, while one is black and one is Asian, according to the Police Department.

After the death, the officers had been placed on leave but then returned to work because no policy violations were found. They were placed on leave again this week.

On the night of his death, Mr. Ellis had been jubilant after playing drums at a church service, family and friends said. Marcia Carter, his mother, said he called her late that night as he returned home and told her that he was feeling good.

“I’m just coming from church, Mom, feeling real good,” Ms. Carter recalled him saying. “I’m ready to give my life to Christ. I want to live it right. I want to raise my kids. I want to be around in their lives. I want to do the right thing.”

Family members said he later went out to get a snack from a convenience store.

Detective Ed Troyer of the Pierce County Sheriff’s Department said earlier that before the arrest, Mr. Ellis was bothering people in vehicles, approached the officers and then violently attacked one of them when they stepped out of the vehicle, throwing one officer to the ground.

The first video captured by Ms. McDowell begins in the middle of the encounter, showing two officers taking Mr. Ellis to the ground on the road in front of some garbage cans. With Mr. Ellis on his back, one of the officers got down on his knees and began punching Mr. Ellis.

In a later clip, as Ms. McDowell drove past the scene, video showed the officers asking Mr. Ellis to put his hands behind his back. The officers appeared to have Mr. Ellis subdued and on his side.

Detective Troyer said earlier this week that Mr. Ellis at one point called out, “I can’t breathe,” and the officers called for medical support and propped Mr. Ellis on his side. He has said that Mr. Ellis was breathing when medics arrived but that though personnel worked on him for more than half an hour, he did not survive.

The officers were not wearing body cameras, and Ms. Woodards said Thursday that she would push to get funding for body cameras.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2020 09:07 pm
@Lash,
(Sanders): I agree with US intel on Russian hack.

At a CNN town hall, (Sen. Bernie Sanders) said the evidence presented is very clear
that Russia played a "harmful and unacceptable" role in the 2016 US election.

coldjoint

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2020 09:12 pm
@Real Music,
Quote:
(Sanders): I agree with US intel on Russian hack.

Bernie took a ride on the narrative train. Unremarkable.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2020 09:21 pm
1. We have Coldjoint's input about Bernie's video.

2. Now let's see what Coldjoint's twin Lash has to say about Bernie's video.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2020 09:45 pm
@Real Music,
Quote:
1. We have Coldjoint's input about Bernie's video.

Yes, you do.
Quote:
2. Now let's see what Coldjoint's twin Lash has to say about Bernie's video.

Is this a soap opera? I confess. I pushed Lash down the stairs and she had a miscarriage. But she was also sleeping with my brother. So I was pissed. Now you know.

Not as ridiculous as your post, but I tried.
Olivier5

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2020 02:39 am
@bobsal u1553115,
A guy was arrested in Moscow yesterday. He was going around the streets yelling "Brejnev is an idiot!" They charged him with disclosure of classified information.