Lash

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 09:12 am
@bobsal u1553115,
This was exactly as general as I needed to be.
If you can’t keep up with the conversation, take a nap.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 09:14 am
@Lash,
They haven't gotten it yet, that's why they're still trying so hard. I got it together, you need to pay attention.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 09:54 am
@Lash,
Of course you trust many people out right: those who tell you what you want to hear. Any source is A-okay for you as long as it craps on Clinton for instance. You have no filter whatsoever there.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 09:58 am
@Olivier5,
And that's the truth.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 10:05 am
@Olivier5,
I’ve made up my mind about Clinton. It’s a non-issue if they just stfu. Haven’t you received enough input about anyone in your government to have reached an opinion about them? Or you have no opinions? Or all your opinions are positive?

You’re no different from me and everybody else in that respect.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 10:08 am
@Lash,
Quote:
I’ve made up my mind about Clinton.It’s a non-issue if they just stfu.

So you need to control their free speech. You get the last word. How Green of you.
Lash

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 10:10 am
@bobsal u1553115,
You need to control mine?
They speak, I speak.
Take a nap, dotard.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 10:23 am
@Lash,
Trying to shut down my freedom speech? How Green of you! And name calling too. I guess you only changed some of your spots. Don't the Greens offer anything on anger management?
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 10:51 am
@Lash,
Both are racial issues but they are not connected.

Blacks and other non white persons in our country who qualify to vote, vote democrat for the most part when they are allowed to vote. All our parties and elected officials need to get informed and organize an agenda to reform our racial injustice. It needs to start from the bottom up. People need to start paying to attention to their local elections and who is running for what and what they stand for or don't stand for. Those are things that are important. Also we need more democrats in the house, senate and the white house to support laws and guidance to states in regards to racial injustice. The justice department needs to do what it can do as well. But from what I read, most of the practical changes have to be from the state and local level.
hightor

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 12:01 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
...the Crime Bill and three strikes law and the de-humanizing rhetoric about black people in this country has effectively made it open season on black Americans.

Racism has long been part of white culture and blaming it on the '94 crime bill — and Biden no doubt — is lazy, ignorant, and duplicitous. Are you going to blame racism at European soccer games on Biden as well? Was the '94 crime the inspiration of the racism of Gobineau?Are you going to blame Biden for the institution of slavery? Was the '94 crime bill responsible for apartheid in South Africa? Did Biden inspire the South to import slaves from the West Indies? Racism has a long history — and you know it. It's been open season on non-whites for a long, long time.
Quote:
(...)

"It is fair to say that the trajectory of increased incarceration had already begun before the 1994 crime bill," Kara Gotsch, director of strategic initiatives at the Sentencing Project, told CNN Tuesday before noting that the way Congress and the President "influence state policy is through money."

The 1994 crime bill tried to do just that in offering grants for new prisons to states who imposed truth-in-sentencing (TIS) policies, which impose mandatory minimums for time served.

Initially, the crime bill required states to pass laws mandating violent offenders serve at least 85% of their sentence before those states could receive TIS grant funds.

Even still, the influence of these federal funds shouldn't be overstated. The data is murky on how much the federal grants influenced how states make decisions on sentencing policy.

For example, a study from the Urban Institute found that out of the 16 states that changed their TIS laws following the 1994 crime bill and that qualified for federal TIS funding, "the changes were often influenced more by ongoing state reform processes rather than the federal incentive grant program."

The study says that states were already imposing their own minimum sentencing laws before the 1994 crime bill, and at most the bill "may have contributed to modest changes in sentencing structure" for a small number of states.

"The impact was as much rhetorical," said Bertram "as it was a bill that increased the number of people in prison."

source

Olivier5

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 12:32 pm
@Lash,
The point is you trust dozens of people without checking nothing... You are very gullible when it comes to your own biases. You swallow Russians punk news hook line and sinker. So you are being naive when you say:

Quote:
I think I do what I think most people do—take in info, seek to verify, check bias. I don’t trust anybody outright.

You are a tool, Lash, in both senses of the word: an idiot, and a useful idiot for somebody. You just remain blissfully unaware of it.

Remember the German refrain: First they came for the Jews, and since I wasn't a Jew I didn't say anything... You know how it ends, right? Maybe one day, one of these Trump goons will kneel on your neck, and you too will barely be able to say "I can't breathe... I can't breathe" for a few seconds before you die. Ever think of that?

It's not too late to stop them. Yet.
blatham

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 01:53 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Racism has long been part of white culture and blaming it on the '94 crime bill — and Biden no doubt — is lazy, ignorant, and duplicitous. Are you going to blame racism at European soccer games on Biden as well? Was the '94 crime the inspiration of the racism of Gobineau?Are you going to blame Biden for the institution of slavery? Was the '94 crime bill responsible for apartheid in South Africa? Did Biden inspire the South to import slaves from the West Indies? Racism has a long history — and you know it. It's been open season on non-whites for a long, long time.

Joe Biden, in cahoots with the DNC and the Deep State funded and organized the slave trade. But the liberal media will never tell you that.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 02:37 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Joe Biden, in cahoots with the DNC and the Deep State funded and organized

effort to exploit Black people for political gain and then toss them aside like they have done since the Sixties.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 03:28 pm
@revelette1,
They most definitely are connected.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 03:32 pm
@hightor,
He did much more than any one person alive today in the public sphere with the possible exception of Clinton. Don’t take my word for it. Michelle Alexander researched The New Jim Crow and she knows more about it than you—though I doubt you’d agree.

Lash

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 03:39 pm
@Olivier5,
You make a lot of assumptions and ascribe them to me. Progressives saw that Russia trash for what it was immediately. As did I. I didn’t have to hear any other opinions about it, but I waited to see if there was proof—I would have had to accept proof and know I was wrong.

There was no proof. I wasn’t wrong.

I wasn’t invested in being right; I just thought I was, and maintained that opinion, waiting to see if something changed my mind.

Progressives still feel the same way I do. Russia didn’t do anything that changed the outcome of the election.
blatham

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 04:04 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
He did much more than any one person alive today in the public sphere with the possible exception of Clinton. Don’t take my word for it. Michelle Alexander researched The New Jim Crow and she knows more about it than you—though I doubt you’d agree.

I gather you're speaking of the "tough on crime" bill passed about 25 years ago? You're aware that both Biden and Sanders voted for that bill, I assume.
blatham

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 04:16 pm
Quote:
Clearly, Trump and his allies know that their best chance of winning is to suppress turnout. That is what the Attorney General, William Barr, believes based on his gross exaggeration of the risk of voter fraud. So, too, many Republican governors and state legislators who are making it increasingly difficult for Americans to vote. And—let’s not forget—Trump himself. In the 2016 election, one arm of the Trump campaign was dedicated to convincing people—black folks and young people particularly—not to bother voting. This was in tandem with the efforts of Republican secretaries of state and other elected officials to enact draconian voter-registration requirements and redraw electoral maps, making it more difficult for people to vote. Or, if they did manage to cast ballots, to insure that their voices would be drowned out. These efforts persist, and, in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic, they have escalated, as the Attorney General floats a phony argument that foreign governments might manipulate mailed ballots, and the Republican National Committee, following the lead of the President, is working to limit voting by mail because it believes mail ballots would extend the franchise to the “wrong” people. Add to this Trump’s attacks on the U.S. Postal Service, which recently saw the installation of one of his ideologues as its head; as the President knows, a working postal service is necessary to facilitate mailed ballots.
NYer

Just so we understand what Lash is currently up to.
Lash

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 04:18 pm
@blatham,
1. Biden wrote it and agitated for it.
2. Bernie Sanders isn’t my daddy, and if he was, Daddy’s wrong.
3. Biden added all sorts of racist **** to that racist legislation.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 04:20 pm
NY yesterday had zero deaths from covid. And Florida had it highest number of deaths so far on the same day.
0 Replies