ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2020 06:38 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
pretty soon you have a beachful of me-toos who'll come back and infect us all and start the damned thing all over again.

the upside is that it is reasonably easy to spot the fools. avoid them. keep them out of your home/personal spaces. talk to friends/co-workers, figure out if there are fools in their immediate circle. stay away from all of them. it kinda works.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2020 07:10 pm
I'm liking her these days

Quote:
Amy Klobuchar
@amyklobuchar
Prince tribute starting on CBS.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2020 10:55 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

MontereyJack wrote:
pretty soon you have a beachful of me-toos who'll come back and infect us all and start the damned thing all over again.

the upside is that it is reasonably easy to spot the fools. avoid them. keep them out of your home/personal spaces. talk to friends/co-workers, figure out if there are fools in their immediate circle. stay away from all of them. it kinda works.

The down side is that nations and societies and civilizations either sink or swim together.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 06:42 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
One guy out on a paddle board and someone sees him and says oh it's okay to come here, and pretty soon you have a beachful of me-toos who'll come back and infect us all and start the damned thing all over again. 81% of the country supports distancing and shelter in place. 81%, and 19% infectees-in-waiting.
Do you (or anyone else in your house) go grocery shopping?
Brand X

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 06:56 am
Yang takes action while the gov't stumbles and bumbles then takes care of the 1%

Anderson Cooper 360°
@AC360
Andrew Yang is involved in the launch of a new campaign aimed at providing $1,000 to 100,000 families receiving SNAP benefits.

Recipient Dominique Devezin, who lost her airport job, says she received her money within three days and was able to buy groceries and pay bills.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 06:59 am
@Brand X,
Yang has energy and seems to be one of the few capable of putting his words into action.
Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 07:01 am
@Leadfoot,
How moronic--people have to have groceries. No one has to go to the beach.
revelette3

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 07:06 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Billionaire Mike Bloomberg will help New York develop coronavirus test and trace program, Gov. Cuomo says
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 07:10 am
@revelette3,
Mike has idled a lot of his campaign promises, especially to his campaign workers since he came off the trail. I'll be glad if he keeps this one to Cuomo.
revelette3

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 07:10 am
@Setanta,
I am a little fanatic when it comes to things like this, but heard and read on the news about meat factories having to shut down because of CV 19. A scary thought when you want to buy chicken or steaks at the store. Thinking of farmworkers who are usually migrants having to work closely together in the fields and chicken farms. At least you can wash vegetables really well before feeding them to your family.
revelette3

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 07:12 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I am sure he will, it would badly reflect on his reputation and would affect his future business deals if he didn't, I would think. I haven't kept up, I don't really know what he has done since he dropped out.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 07:21 am
@revelette3,
https://qz.com/quartzy/1335585/the-us-has-enough-surplus-meat-and-cheese-for-billions-of-tacos/

TACO TUESDAY
The US is sitting on 2.6 billion tacos worth of meat and cheese
July 25, 2018

https://www.wsj.com/articles/meat-piles-up-as-production-grows-and-exports-slow-1532268000

2.5 Billion Pounds of Meat Piles Up in U.S. as Production Grows, Exports Slow
Profits, prices are threatened as record amounts of red meat and poultry fill U.S. warehouses

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2018/7/24/17606958/meat-cheese-surplus-visualized

The US has a 2.5 billion-pound surplus of meat. Let’s try to visualize that.

You thought the US cheese surplus was huge? Get a load of the excess meat.
revelette3

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 07:47 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Well, if they still have a surplus, they are acting like they don't.

Meat processing plants are closing due to covid-19 outbreaks. Beef shortfalls may follow.

In the piece:

Quote:
Ben Lilliston, the interim co-executive director of the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy, said the closure of these large meat processing facilities, and any resultant supply shortfalls, is what happens when a small number of multinational companies control the food supply.

“They have proprietary information about how much food is out there that no one else has,” he said. “In early March, there were a whole lot of stories about a surplus of meat. If they say it’s a shortage, maybe it is, but no one really knows.”
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 08:01 am
@revelette3,
Of course they don't. Supply drives price just like demand. This surplus is the result of manipulating supply.

Its the same thing as $0 per barrel oil. Once the storage if full and demand is not growing - oil becomes worth less.

Its the the DeBeers' model. Less than 1/4 of diamonds make it to market. But storing diamonds is an easier process than storing billions of pounds of meat.

I get some of it: its a balance between profit and producing something for more than it costs. This also shows up in drug prices, too. Economy of scale explains why you can buy the same prescription in Mexico cheaper than in the US: producers charge what the market will bear. Selling as many as you can even at cost or even a little below lowers the cost per unit and increase profit in markets where you can charge premium prices.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 08:36 am
@Leadfoot,
yes, and it has social distancinfgand one way aisles and masks.yes
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 09:55 am
@MontereyJack,
As well they should.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 10:59 am
@Setanta,
If you can protect yourself at the grocery store (the most ideal virus transmission scenario short of sex) then you can certainly do it at the beach (where sunlight instantly destroys the CV -19 virus.).
Now think about all those people who were holding that shopping cart handle before you, if you want to worry.

God what moronic sheep.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 11:01 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
God what moronic sheep.

That sums it up nicely.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 11:08 am
@Leadfoot,
There are moronic people everywhere, and the beach is no exception. Of course, I don't know what it's like where you're at, but here, the handles of the shopping carts are wiped down with disinfectant before being put back in the queue. Again, it's pretty damned moronic to ignore that people need to shop, and they don't need to go to the beach. You just need one clown at the beach to sneeze, and you're toast.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/77/Sneeze.JPG/220px-Sneeze.JPG
Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 11:14 am
What experts say: The sun’s UV light cannot kill the coronavirus, and concentrated UV light should not be used to kill the virus