hightor

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2020 05:39 am
Quote:
The average American has more Injun blood than that.

Nope. There is no way to categorize the "average American" as having a certain percentage of genes which reflect particular races or ethnicities. USAmericans have this penchant for claiming their heritage in a fractional manner based on the national origins of their forebears and making meaningless claims: "I'm one quarter English" or "I'm one thirty-second Choctaw". It's dumb, but it's part of the "American Way", which everyone seems to think is something to be admired. Singling out Sen. Warren in this regard is a cheap shot. (Which, in election season, is also part of the "American Way". )
Setanta

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2020 06:08 am
One hundred percent of my ancestors were homo sapiens sapiens, so there. (I sometimes wonder if this is true of everyone posting here.)
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2020 07:24 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
(I sometimes wonder if this is true of everyone posting here.)

I'm a work in progress, Set, I'm trying hard to get there.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2020 07:25 am
Message from Senator Klobuchar:

Quote:
Amy is teaming up with Stacey Abrams, the founder and chair of Fair Fight Action, in a new video calling on Americans to support voting by mail and other measures like early voting and recruiting and training poll workers. These measures will make casting a ballot safer during the pandemic.

Voters in Wisconsin were recently forced to choose between their right to vote and their health. It is irresponsible and dangerous to refuse to make changes to the voting process, as many Republicans including President Trump are doing, when there are simple, achievable ways to make voting safer. Will you watch Amy and Stacey’s video and then share it with your friends to spread awareness about the additional measures that will allow all voters to safely cast ballots on Election Day?

Amy recently introduced a bill with Senator Ron Wyden that would allow all Americans to vote by mail and would create a 20-day in-person voting period to prevent crowding at polling places. These measures would ensure that Americans can protect their health while also exercising their constitutional right to vote.

People should not have to choose between voting and their health and safety. That's why it's critical that every American has the ability to vote by mail or to safely vote in person.

Watch the video

0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2020 08:21 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
The average American has more Injun blood than that.

Nope. There is no way to categorize the "average American" as having a certain percentage of genes which reflect particular races or ethnicities.

Yeah, right, eh?

Quote:
A 2014 study by Harvard University and 23andMe found that European Americans tested overall for 0.18 percent Native American ancestry, while Ms. Warren’s results show she has anywhere from 0.09 percent to 1.5 percent.

“This means that the DNA test shows that Warren is actually LESS NATIVE AMERICAN than the average American of European ancestry,” said Cornell Law School professor William A. Jacobson on his right-tilting Legal Insurrection blog.

The 2014 report, which appeared in the American Journal of Human Genetics, involved DNA testing of 160,000 people and was billed as “the largest study of its kind so far.”

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/oct/15/warren-may-be-less-native-american-average/
layman

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2020 08:39 am
@layman,
The fraud who tested Pocahontas was apparently unaware of this extensive study, so he threw a bunch of stats from central and south america where Spaniards had been raping native women for centuries before Jamestown got started. He freely admitted that his analysis could merely be showing that there was a Spaniard in the woodpile somewhere along her ancestors' line, ya know?

Quote:
Ms. Warren released her DNA results and an analysis by Stanford geneticist Carlos Bustamante, who told the Boston Globe that “the results strongly support he evidence of an unadmixed Native American ancestor” dating back six to 10 generations.

At the same time, the article noted that genetic data from Native Americans is sparse, and that Mr. Bustamante filled in with samples from Mexico, Peru and Colombia
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2020 08:57 am
@layman,
Washington Times. Right.

Elizabeth Warren may be less Native American than average U.S. white person

DNA test shows Native ancestry ranges from 0.09 to 1.5 percent; European Americans average 0.18 percent

Right off the bat - the headline does not say what you imply. And the first sentence puts her right in the middle.

The big question is: What percentage of "european Americans" have Native American blood? 5%, 50%, 100%? If its less than 50% she definitely has more NA genes than thae average EA.

More important question: did you even read that article???

"The 2014 report, which appeared in the American Journal of Human Genetics, involved DNA testing of 160,000 people and was billed as “the largest study of its kind so far.”"

Which gets us to the more import, more salient question: SO WHAT?

She could have 50% Klingon DNA and SO WHAT???? If this is the best you got SO WHAT???
layman

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2020 09:04 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Washington Times. Right.

Heh, typical lefty tactic, eh? Dismiss any facts reported by any party who is not part of the fake news crew. This study was first mentioned in the NYT [ https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/25/science/23andme-genetic-ethnicity-study.html ]. Are you claiming Harvard never did this study, that it?

Nice try, cheese-eater.

Quote:
The big question is: What percentage of "european Americans" have Native American blood? 5%, 50%, 100%? If its less than 50% she definitely has more NA genes than thae average EA.

What!? In this context "average" refers to the mean, not the mode. Learn up on some stats, boy.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2020 09:35 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
What!? In this context "average" refers to the mean, not the mode. Learn up on some stats, boy.

I should have added that the median is not referred to either. But geneticists have answered your stupid question, either way:

Quote:
Almost every American has a sliver of Native American ancestry

It should be noted that these are averages across populations that say nothing about any individual.

Latinos as expected had significantly more Native American ancestry with the average Latino genome being 18 percent Native American, 65.1 percent European and 6.2 percent African.

https://geneticliteracyproject.org/2018/10/16/claims-that-us-is-a-genetic-melting-pot-appear-overblown-if-youre-white/

That's why her publicist used Colombians to calculate her "percentage" of "Native American" DNA. They don't call them "redskins" in Columbia, Mexico, or Peru.

No matter how hard you cheese-eaters try to spin it, the stone-cold fact remains: Pocahontas aint no injun.
layman

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2020 09:51 am
@layman,
Quote:
The title of Carl Zimmer’s New York Times article on the research “White? Black? A Murky Distinction Grows Still Murkier,” seems to suggest that the genetic data show that racial divides have significantly blurred as populations have mixed

Think about your family tree back nine generations ago, which would mostly be in the 1700s. You have 512 slots in your family tree nine generations ago (two to the ninth power). The 23andMe numbers suggest that for the average white American, 1 of your 512 ancestors nine generations ago was black and 1 of 512 was Native American....That doesn’t seem very murky to me.

Course it aint murky. No self-respecting American would have any truck with an injun. A "half-breed" was shunned by true Americans. They never liked terrorists.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2020 10:08 am
@layman,
BullShit.

Quote:
Almost every American has a sliver of Native American ancestry

What does that even mean? I've had DNA testing and so has my wife - not a drop. And we both had a large family "history" of NA ancestors with names places and dates. She did have a surprise we both just find so funny and wonderfull - she has 3% SW African Bantu! She has more African blood than YOU do! And I have 4% European and ME Jewish DNA. My family claimed more than that.

Families get it WRONG. And science doesn't.

Try reading this from a reputable source:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2014/12/genetic-study-reveals-surprising-ancestry-many-americans

"At least 3.5% of European Americans carry African ancestry, though the averages vary significantly by state. In South Carolina and Louisiana, about 12% of European Americans have at least 1% African ancestry. In Louisiana, too, about 8% of European Americans carry at least 1% Native American ancestry."

Not even close to 10%, let alone "most". Besides, what you quoted was self admitedly speculation. It "assumes" and it makes an 'ass' out of 'u'r point.

Both her and my paternal lines got here original from Scotland to Baltimore in the 1740's. Both Maternal lines from Ireland at around the same time though mine was Scotch Irish with Dutch/Belgium showing up between the Civil War and the WWI. And somehow along the way faux NA stories got woven into the story.

My ancestors were Revolutionary war vets with monuments to them, founded Union Carbide, donated $120 million to the state university of N Carolina in 1900, were Governors of three states, Senators, Congressmen of four, a winner of a Congressional Medal of Honor for his fatal participation in the Andersonville raid (the great train chase) - we are a highly documented family and still stories about non existent NA's made it into the family story.

Abraham Lincoln imprisoned my four time great grand father, Governor of Kentucky (pro-Union, but pro-slavery) when ol' Abe suspended Habeas Corpus.
layman

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2020 10:10 am
Quote:
Living conditions on the reservations have been cited as "comparable to Third World," (May 5 2004, Gallup Independent)....Typically, Tribal and Federal governments are the largest employers on the reservations. Many households are overcrowded and earn only social security, disability or veteran's income. The scarcity of jobs and lack of economic opportunity mean that, depending on the reservation, four to eight out of ten adults on reservations are unemployed.

There is a housing crisis in Indian country. Despite the Indian Housing Authority's (IHAs) recent efforts, the need for adequate housing on reservations remains acute. One legislator deplored the fact that “there are 90,000 homeless or underhoused Indian families, and that 30% of Indian housing is overcrowded and less than 50% of it is connected to a public sewer.

http://www.nativepartnership.org/site/PageServer?pagename=naa_livingconditions

Yet these heathens insist on living there, eh? What's that tell ya?

layman

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2020 10:14 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Abraham Lincoln imprisoned my four time great grand father,

No surprise there, eh?

Did he run around falsely claiming to be part injun, like you did? You seem to know a lot about your own family history, which would completely debunk your claim about "family lore," eh?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2020 10:18 am
@layman,
It tells me you don't know. And that's a pity.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2020 10:19 am
@layman,
If you cant figure out who and what I'm talking about after all the clues I've given, you aren't very clever.

It tells me you can't respond to the facts I presented to you. it shows me all you know is ad hominem.

I'm done talking to you. The thumbs down is on until you respond to the issues.
layman

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2020 10:26 am
@layman,
Quote:
A "half-breed" was shunned by true Americans. They never liked terrorists.

Quote:
“Chief Openchancanough and his warriors attacked the new settlements near Jamestown - Kecoughtan, Henrico, and Charles City - on Good Friday 1622. They came into the villages under the guise of peace and even pretended to sit down to eat with the white settlers; then, at a prearranged signal the Indians launched the attack. In the surprise raid, 350 settlers were slaughtered, including women and children; this was one-third of the English population in Virginia….after the conflict, they did not feel bound to try to be friends with the Indians and were more open to just taking their land.”

http://66.188.129.72:5980/History/AmericanIndian/euro_english2.htm

I mean, like, they showed their true colors right from the git-go, eh?
layman

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2020 10:40 am
@layman,
Quote:
Historians estimate that Opechancanough spent between one and three years planning the attack in 1622, despite maintaining overall friendly relations with the English. On the morning of March 22, 1622, the Indians who had visited the colonists and stayed overnight joined others who entered the James River settlements, some using boats to cross rivers, to launch well-coordinated surprise attacks. The Indians entered the settlements unarmed and when the time came to attack they used the colonists’ own tools and weapons to kill the 347 English men, women, and children that lost their lives that day. Colonist Edward Waterhouse recounted that the Powhatan were “so sudden in their cruel execution that few or none discerned the weapon or blow that brought them to destruction."

http://www.virtualjamestown.org/Opechancanough.html

Kinda like Hitler, circa 1934, eh?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2020 10:42 am
@layman,
layman wrote:
Did anyone invade Germany in 1934? Shocked

Or do you refer to the artist group "Kölner Progressive", which was closed by the Nazis?
layman

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2020 10:45 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

layman wrote:
Did anyone invade Germany in 1934? Shocked

To history's eternal regret, no.

Are you really trying to claim that the English "invaded" anybody?

Now, if you're just trying to suggest that they should have invaded, then I agree. Just like someone should have made a pre-emptive attack on Hitler, ya know?

Murdering, cunning liars, need to be eliminated, that's for sure.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2020 10:49 am
@layman,
layman wrote:
Are you really trying to claim that the English "invaded" anybody?
They "moved into" what is now the USA. Or am I mistaken?