blatham

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 08:40 am
@revelette3,
You're a kind and gentle soul. I am too but whereas you come by these qualities naturally I manage the thing only through a pandemic-level supply of weed.
layman

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 08:46 am
as Ambrose Bierce might have wrote:

Troll. noun. An idiotic person who doesn't agree with you and has the audacity to say so.
layman

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 08:56 am
@blatham,
Quote:
I am labeling an individual as a troll

Exactly. It has nothing to do with the content of what's being said, just the person saying it.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 10:53 am
Ryan Grim
@ryangrim
·
15m
On the Medicare at 60 plan: After the 2008 crisis a ton of people 50 and over were unable to ever effectively get back into the workforce in the way they were before due to age discrimination. That’s likely to happen again, and they’ll need health care. 60 isn’t low enough.
hightor

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 11:10 am
@blatham,
Quote:
I'll grant george one point here - in my recommendation that members actively disregard certain voices, I'm doing something a bit different than merely making a critique of something said.

Right. But my point was that he was telling you that you shouldn't do that either. He doesn't get to decide what people are allowed to say or suggest and that includes suggesting someone be ignored. And this crap:
georgeob1 wrote:
Isn't the constant approval of the small circle of rather slavish claques who attend your posts sufficient?

"Slavish"??? Yeah, every morning I steel myself for yet another day of mandatory approval of posts by blatham...or else.
hightor

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 11:16 am
@Brand X,
Quote:
60 isn’t low enough.

Of course it isn't. But it's a start. And when people see that it's not enough, they'll clamor for more reform. The fear and reluctance to embrace a sudden shift to fully socialized medical coverage is part of the reason Sanders couldn't break out beyond the 30%.
McGentrix

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 11:16 am
@Brand X,
Brand X wrote:

Ryan Grim
@ryangrim
·
15m
On the Medicare at 60 plan: After the 2008 crisis a ton of people 50 and over were unable to ever effectively get back into the workforce in the way they were before due to age discrimination. That’s likely to happen again, and they’ll need health care. 60 isn’t low enough.

I remember a time when this account was more than a twitterbot.

Anyone else remember those days?
coldjoint

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 11:18 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
I remember a time when this account was more than a twitterbot.

Good one. Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 11:25 am
I’ve been mistaken this whole time about what trolling is.

I thought it was showing up in threads dedicated to certain topics or groups and bombarding it with off-topic posts constantly, disrupting the discussion.

Imagine my surprise.
revelette3

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 11:35 am
@blatham,
I hope not too much, apparently, COVID and weed don't mix too well. Or just regular cigarettes for that matter. Maybe if you put marijuana in brownies it would be better. Not to mention smells better. Plus from what I read, baking relieves stress.

https://www.thealternativedaily.com/reasons-to-eat-marijuana-and-how/

So, have a brownie.

Thanks.
hightor

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 11:50 am
@Lash,
Quote:
In Internet slang, a troll is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses and normalizing tangential discussion, whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.
(...)
Application of the term troll is subjective. Some readers may characterize a post as trolling, while others may regard the same post as a legitimate contribution to the discussion, even if controversial. Like any pejorative term, it can be used as an ad hominem attack, suggesting a negative motivation.

wikipedia

It's not simply off-topic disruption in your case.
Brand X

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 12:01 pm
@hightor,
The point is it needs to be in line with the aftermath of this employment crush, it has nothing to do with incremental movement in order to get people used to the idea. it's a fix that's needed right now. It's no time for a 'start' attitude.
Below viewing threshold (view)
layman

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 12:06 pm
@layman,
Blather wrote:
...smear the Democratic Party and try to convince others to vote elsewhere. That's always been her game

Assuming that's true, that would make her a "troll," eh?

You and your cheese-eating homeys slander Trump and the Reps 24/7, trying to convince "others to vole elsewhere," but you're not a troll?

How does that work, exactly?
0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 12:19 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
Application of the term troll is subjective. Some readers may characterize a post as trolling, while others may regard the same post as a legitimate contribution to the discussion, even if controversial. Like any pejorative term, it can be used as an ad hominem attack, suggesting a negative motivation.

wikipedia[/quote]

You don't need to educate Blather on the topic of ad hominem attacks, eh? He's already an expert who devotes himself to that kind of sophistry.

0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 12:22 pm
@Brand X,
We've always needed fixes right now. Look at the climate crisis. The crap that's getting pushed through, hidden in the bowels of these multi-trillion dollar relief bills, will simply insure the continuation of the steady embrace of authoritarianism. Trump's already said that he won't put up with any "oversight".
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 12:49 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
An ad hominem attack made by people who are so shallow and insecure that they can’t tolerate different opinions.

That's your subjective response. "Everyone who disagrees with me is intolerant" — that's just a self-serving formula often employed by shallow and insecure people who find themselves in situations where their ideas are rejected and where they have no persuasive effect. "I'm right; the world's wrong."

Quote:
You can’t bear that someone has the right to disagree.

I can bear anyone's right to disagree, but I reserve the right to judge the informative value, logical consistency, and intellectual quality of anyone's statements, whether I agree with them or not.

Quote:
I laugh at you. Are you gonna cry now? Smh.

I don't know what you're talking about.
layman

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 02:33 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
"Everyone who disagrees with me is intolerant" — that's just a self-serving formula often employed by shallow and insecure people....

Speak for yourself and your fellow-traveling cheese-eaters, eh? I didn't see Lash calling for everyone to ignore anyone, ya know?
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 02:50 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
That's your subjective response. "Everyone who disagrees with me is intolerant" — that's just a self-serving formula often employed by shallow and insecure people who find themselves in situations where their ideas are rejected and where they have no persuasive effect. "I'm right; the world's wrong."

Sounds more like AOC.
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 03:09 pm
@coldjoint,
or like coldjoint.
0 Replies