layman

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 12:52 am
Quote:
Trump job approval hits new high

This marks only the third time in Fox News polling that fewer than half rate him negatively.

Looks like more and more independents are wising up, eh?
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 01:04 am
You were quoting him but could care less about his concern. Mmmokay...

layman

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 01:06 am
Kinda boring. I mean, like, who really cares about this type of model, anyway?

Quote:
On projections of coronavirus deaths, government uses unreliable model

To describe as stunning the collapse of a key model the government has used to alarm the nation about the catastrophic threat of the coronavirus would not do this development justice.

In a space of just six days starting April 2, two revisions (on Sunday and Wednesday) have utterly discredited the model produced by the University of Washington’s Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation.

Perusal of the new data, however, is staggering, as is what it says about government predictions we were hearing just days ago about the likelihood of 100,000 deaths, with as many as 240,000 a real possibility.

On Wednesday, the projected cumulative deaths were slashed to 60,145 (with the upper range again cut, to about 126,000). That is, in less than a week, the model proved to be off by more than 33 percent.

The government is relying on the models, we mean reliance for the purpose of making policy, including the policy of completely closing down American businesses and attempting to confine people to their homes.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/coronavirus-pandemic-projection-models-proving-unreliable/

Whatever type of model ya talk about, I think it's clear that models just can't be trusted, eh?
0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 01:09 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

You were quoting him but could care less about his concern. Mmmokay..

Unlike the fake news you rely on, I don't alter my reporting to conform to a predetermined narrative, eh?

I will, for example, (gladly) report Joe Biden's words verbatim, but I don't agree with a word the fool says.

On the other hand, the MSN can't quote Trump verbatim. That would contradict their "interpretation" of what he said, which is all they want to give you.

layman

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 01:22 am
@layman,
layman wrote:
Unlike the fake news you rely on, I don't alter my reporting to conform to a predetermined narrative, eh?

Now if I were acting in some type of official capacity, it would be different.

If, for example, I was translating russian for Trump at a meeting with Putin, and Putin said. "I have great respect for the United States," then I would probably tell Trump:

He just said "you're a pig-******* idiot."

That way I could help advance my own personal agenda (Nuke Russia Now).

Kinda like the MSM does, ya know?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 02:59 am
@layman,
Wow a backwoods Minnesota family physician. Just the "expert" I'd trust to know all about an unprecedented pandemic. How hard did fox have to work to dig him up?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 03:05 am
@layman,
Barr proves once again, he doesn't care about laws or justice. Trump put him in office because he made it clear he'd do anything to protect the pres, no matter how it bent reality and he's showing that that is exactly what he's going to do.
which is precisely why it is vital to drain the White House swamp in November.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 03:53 am
@layman,
No, you just contradict yourself. Your crush Trump keeps misinforming the public all the fuckin time. That includes you. No wonder why you're confused.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 06:17 am
https://theintercept.com/2020/04/09/nyc-coronavirus-deaths-race-economic-divide/

Who's dying the most and why?

excerpt:

THE DEATH RATE from Covid-19 for black and Latino New Yorkers is roughly twice that of white New Yorkers, according to the latest city data. The death rate among Latino New Yorkers is 22.8 for every 100,000 people. Among African Americans, it is 19.8. In contrast, 10.2 of every 100,000 white New Yorkers has died from the new coronavirus.

The numbers, which were released on Wednesday, are based on 63 percent of confirmed Covid-19 deaths in New York City. They are consistent with reporting from Louisiana, Illinois, Milwaukee, and Michigan, as well as preliminary national data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which show that black people are dying in greater numbers from the virus. They are also in line with long-established health disparities in New York City, where the poor and people of color tend to die earlier and suffer worse health outcomes.

The new numbers show the virus ravaging the city’s communities of color and spreading along the edges of New York’s vast economic divide. The five ZIP codes with the highest rates of positive tests for the coronavirus — in Corona, Cambria Heights, East Elmhurst, Queens Village, and Jackson Heights — have an average per capita income of $26,708, while residents in the five with the lowest rates — in Lower Manhattan, Tribeca, Battery Park City, and the east side of Midtown — had an average income of $118,166, according to an analysis of New York City data by The Intercept.
Lash

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 06:26 am
Condolences to Floridians
Gov should be recalled.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/09/coronavirus-doesnt-seem-to-threaten-kids-florida-gov-ron-desantis-says/
excerpt:
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis claimed the coronavirus “doesn’t seem to threaten” kids at an educational roundtable Thursday where he left open the possibility of reopening schools in May, according to reports.

The governor also erroneously told teachers and parents that nobody under the age of 25 has died from the virus in the United States, according to CNN.

“This particular pandemic is one where I don’t think nationwide there’s been a single fatality under 25. For whatever reason it just doesn’t seem to threaten, you know, kids,” DeSantis said, according to the outlet.

While adults do make up the majority of confirmed coronavirus cases, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, children and infants have been infected.

Children known to be infected with the bug have generally shown milder symptoms than adults, federal health officials say. But kids, like adults, can unwittingly carry and spread the disease.

As of Thursday, four patients in the US under 25 have died from the virus, according to the CDC.
layman

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 07:10 am
@Lash,
Quote:
The five ZIP codes with the highest rates of positive tests for the coronavirus — in Corona, Cambria Heights, East Elmhurst, Queens Village, and Jackson Heights — have an average per capita income of $26,708, while residents in the five with the lowest rates — in Lower Manhattan, Tribeca, Battery Park City, and the east side of Midtown — had an average income of $118,166, according to an analysis of New York City data by The Intercept.

What is this supposed to prove? That the virus checks a person's pocket book before it decides whether or not it will infect them?

Or maybe that some don't take "social distancing" as seriously as others?
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 07:12 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
There was nothing in my post even suggesting Blatham crease posting here.

It's not that complicated. You were admonishing him for criticizing the views of another member and equating that with attempting to "silence" opinions he disagrees with. So in effect, you were suggesting that this was unacceptable and shouldn't be done. Yet you do it all the time. As do the rest of us! No georgeob1, we won't stop criticizing statements made by other members. Suggesting they be ignored is not the same as claiming they shouldn't be made at all.
layman

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 07:25 am
@Lash,
Quote:
For whatever reason it just doesn’t seem to threaten, you know, kids,” DeSantis said, according to the outlet.

Children known to be infected with the bug have generally shown milder symptoms than adults, federal health officials say. But kids, like adults, can unwittingly carry and spread the disease.

As of Thursday, four patients in the US under 25 have died from the virus, according to the CDC.

The facts back up what he was saying. What's the problem?

Cars on the street "threaten" kids. Some kids get hit by one every day. Is that a reason to prevent kids from leaving the house? Or should we ban cars?

0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 07:33 am
Wrong, that's not the point at all.

Blather said "we" should ignore Lash.

This isn't the first time that he has undertaken to suggest that "all good people" should put person X or person Y on "ignore."

Maybe George would have been a little more precise if had said "ostracize" instead of "silence" but the outcome is effectively the same.
layman

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 08:01 am
@layman,
Blather wrote:
She can be ignored and the rest of us can get on with sharing knowledge and ideas.

Needless to say, for Blather the "rest of us" would not include those he has already suggested everyone should ignore.

For him the word "us" only applies to his ilk, i.e., cheese-eaters.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 08:19 am
@hightor,
Let me speak to this a bit more because there's something going on in george's argument that really is quite flabbergasting.

I'll grant george one point here - in my recommendation that members actively disregard certain voices, I'm doing something a bit different than merely making a critique of something said. I am labeling an individual as a troll and forwarding the ancient online maxim, "Don't feed the trolls - ignore them because either they are dishonest or because their posts consistently degrade the level of discourse". And let's note that I've never labeled george as this sort of participant even if our political ideas are usually in direct opposition.

Obviously, this isn't silencing anyone. It is actually not different from george (or some other) suggesting that my posts ought to be understood as propaganda, a charge george frequently makes.

But what is truly flabbergasting is that any conservative posting here will try to level against me the complaint that I am suppressing speech. Which is to say that I am in violation of JS Mill's compelling argument that liberty demands the airing of any doctrine no matter what it might be and even no matter how immoral it might be deemed by some.

First, I have no authority or power to do so.

Second, the context - an online discussion site - is no different than a group conversing in a bar or around a picnic table on a summer afternoon. The truly important and consequential context for Mill's argument is what we acknowledge as the profoundly important relevance of the First Amendment. Which is protection of speech from the powers inherent in leaders of a government.

That an American conservative might take me to task for violation of speech rights at precisely the moment when an American President is actively, every day of the week, using his actual and considerable state powers to do real damage to the reputation and the financial viability of any news institution or representative of such institutions or even of individuals outside of media who criticize him is so ******* upside down that it truly boggles one's mind.

blatham

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 08:24 am
Quote:
American Democracy May Be Dying

Authoritarian rule may be just around the corner.

If you aren’t terrified both by Covid-19 and by its economic consequences, you haven’t been paying attention.

Even though social distancing may be slowing the disease’s spread, tens of thousands more Americans will surely die in the months ahead (and official accounts surely understate the true death toll). And the economic lockdown necessary to achieve social distancing — as I’ve been saying, the economy is in the equivalent of a medically induced coma — has led to almost 17 million new claims for unemployment insurance over the past three weeks, again almost surely an understatement of true job losses.

Yet the scariest news of the past week didn’t involve either epidemiology or economics; it was the travesty of an election in Wisconsin, where the Supreme Court required that in-person voting proceed despite the health risks and the fact that many who requested absentee ballots never got them.

Why was this so scary? Because it shows that America as we know it may not survive much longer. The pandemic will eventually end; the economy will eventually recover. But democracy, once lost, may never come back. And we’re much closer to losing our democracy than many people realize.

To see how a modern democracy can die, look at events in Europe, especially Hungary, over the past decade.

What happened in Hungary, beginning in 2011, was that Fidesz, the nation’s white nationalist ruling party, took advantage of its position to rig the electoral system, effectively making its rule permanent. Then it further consolidated its control, using political power to reward friendly businesses while punishing critics, and moved to suppress independent news media.

Until recently, it seemed as if Viktor Orban, Hungary’s de facto dictator, might stop with soft authoritarianism, presiding over a regime that preserved some of the outward forms of democracy, neutralizing and punishing opposition without actually making criticism illegal. But now his government has used the coronavirus as an excuse to abandon even the pretense of constitutional government, giving Orban the power to rule by decree.

If you say that something similar can’t happen here, you’re hopelessly naïve. In fact, it’s already happening here, especially at the state level. Wisconsin, in particular, is well on its way toward becoming Hungary on Lake Michigan, as Republicans seek a permanent lock on power.

The story so far: Back in 2018, Wisconsin’s electorate voted strongly for Democratic control. Voters chose a Democratic governor, and gave 53 percent of their support to Democratic candidates for the State Assembly. But the state is so heavily gerrymandered that despite this popular-vote majority, Democrats got only 36 percent of the Assembly’s seats.

And far from trying to reach some accommodation with the governor-elect, Republicans moved to effectively emasculate him, drastically reducing the powers of his office.

Then came Tuesday’s election. In normal times most attention would have been focused on the Democratic primary — although that became a moot point when Bernie Sanders suspended his campaign. But a seat on the State Supreme Court was also at stake.

Yet Wisconsin, like most of the country, is under a stay-at-home order. So why did Republican legislators, eventually backed by the Republican appointees to the U.S. Supreme Court, insist on holding an election as if the situation were normal?

The answer is that the state shutdown had a much more severe impact on voting in Democratic-leaning urban areas, where a great majority of polling places were closed, than in rural or suburban areas. So the state G.O.P. was nakedly exploiting a pandemic to disenfranchise those likely to vote against it.

What we saw in Wisconsin, in short, was a state party doing whatever it takes to cling to power even if a majority of voters want it out — and a partisan bloc on the Supreme Court backing its efforts. Donald Trump, as usual, said the quiet part out loud: If we expand early voting and voting by mail, “you’d never have a Republican elected in this country again.”

Does anyone seriously doubt that something similar could happen, very soon, at a national level?

This November, it’s all too possible that Trump will eke out an Electoral College win thanks to widespread voter suppression. If he does — or even if he wins cleanly — everything we’ve seen suggests that he will use a second term to punish everyone he sees as a domestic enemy, and that his party will back him all the way. That is, America will do a full Hungary.

What if Trump loses? You know what he’ll do: He’ll claim that Joe Biden’s victory was based on voter fraud, that millions of illegal immigrants cast ballots or something like that. Would the Republican Party, and perhaps more important, Fox News, support his refusal to accept reality? What do you think?

So that’s why what just happened in Wisconsin scares me more than either disease or depression. For it shows that one of our two major parties simply doesn’t believe in democracy. Authoritarian rule may be just around the corner.
Paul Krugman
0 Replies

revelette3

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 08:26 am
@blatham,
You said it, blatham.

We all knew what you meant and context you meant it in, moreover like you said for George to have made that charge in a conversational like setting is just silly. (or I said in my own words) As for the President and his administration and their dictator ways, I just wrote a similar post in your thread.
blatham

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 08:37 am
Steven Colbert makes a revelatory observation: the emerging reality that shaking hands is not a good idea will work serious damage on secret societies.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2020 08:39 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
There was nothing in my post even suggesting Blatham crease posting here.

It's not that complicated. You were admonishing him for criticizing the views of another member and equating that with attempting to "silence" opinions he disagrees with. So in effect, you were suggesting that this was unacceptable and shouldn't be done. Yet you do it all the time. As do the rest of us! No georgeob1, we won't stop criticizing statements made by other members. Suggesting they be ignored is not the same as claiming they shouldn't be made at all.

Give it up, eh? The boy just fessed up, his own damn self:

Blather wrote:
I'll grant george one point here - in my recommendation that members actively disregard certain voices, I'm doing something a bit different than merely making a critique of something said.
0 Replies