layman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 02:52 pm
@revelette3,
It's VOTER SUPPRESSION, I tells ya!

Quote:
As of Sunday, 1,268,587 absentee ballots had been requested for the election — far more than election officials are equipped to handle. That is almost six times as many as were cast in Wisconsin’s 2016 presidential primary,

In addition to the avalanche of ballots arriving by mail, polling places may also be overwhelmed on Tuesday due to a dire shortage of poll workers. As of last Tuesday, almost 60 percent of municipalities in Wisconsin did not have enough poll workers, and more than 100 did not have any.

That's cool with Burnie, though. The election results will certainly be delayed. The longer he can stave off certain defeat, the more campaign funds he can raise to rip off, eh?

Lash, don't take it personally, Hunnychile. It aint you, at least not just you. I seem to have a penchant for pissing off EVERYBODY, eh?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 03:17 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
If Sanders was elected, I would expect him to shy away from interventionism
So he might order the killing of Osama, launch drone strikes, involve himself in Syria, etc?

And how about non military influence that will unhappily result in innocents dying? Would that be fine or absolutely ruled out?

My initial point you may recall was that absolutist answers or policies are simplistic and easy. So we'll end off here.
layman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 03:20 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
My initial point you may recall was that absolutist answers or policies are simplistic and easy.

The more simple, the more better, I always say!

Well, for simpletons, anyway.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 03:37 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
... absolutist answers or policies are simplistic and easy.

Unlike some around this here joint, at least you choose to opine about a topic where you have extensive experience and expertise, eh?
0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 03:41 pm
Well, so far, so good. In the first post I said that Ackroyd completely outclassed the poor girl. I guess that was deemed to be wildly misogynistic, or some ****, eh?
0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 03:50 pm
I know the cheese-eaters will be greatly offended, cause Woody kinda talks in the vernacular tense, but what the hell.

Long about time for another Woody Guthrie tune, I figure. Them kinda times is comin back, I spect.

Brand X

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 04:18 pm
John Nichols
@NicholsUprising
·
9m
BREAKING: By a 4-2 vote, the conservative majority on the Wisconsin Supreme Court has blocked
@GovEvers
' order to shut down Tuesday's election.

It’s chaos now as a responsible effort to #PostponeWisconsin has been overturned.
Lash

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 04:24 pm
@Brand X,
Unbelievable. Voter suppression. They literally have to risk their lives to vote.
layman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 05:08 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Unbelievable. Voter suppression. They literally have to risk their lives to vote.

That's a good thing for Burnie, though. His voters are younger (less at risk) and no doubt more courageous than the average Biden voter.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 05:34 pm
Quote:
Dem lawmaker wants Trump prosecuted at international court for 'crimes against humanity'

A Democratic state representative in Ohio said she "can't take it anymore" and vowed to refer President Trump to the International Criminal Court for "crimes against humanity" over Trump's promotion of a drug that has not been conclusively proven to fight the coronavirus.

Hahahahahahaha!

This **** is getting too stupid for words. One can only laugh.. No need, or cause, for comment or need to explain the joke, eh?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 05:35 pm
@layman,
Glad to see you promoting Woody Guthrie's music. 70 years ago he was so progressive that today, he'd still scare YOU out of a year's growth. Do by all means feel free to post more Woody. And listen to him yourself.
. As his boy Arlo said a few years ago when he was the guest artist at the Boston Pops 4th of July concert, whenhe was young his dad took him aside one day and made him promise when he sang Woody's "This Land is Your land" he'd always include the verse they always leave out which is something like,
As I was walking that ribbon of highway,
I saw before me a sign said "Private Property"
But on the other side it didn't say nothin'
That side was made for you and me.
This land is your land, this land is my land.....

You rock, Woody Guthrie
layman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 05:58 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Glad to see you promoting Woody Guthrie's music. Do by all means feel free to post more Woody.

The cheese-eaters here even downvote poor ole Woody, eh? I mean, like, can ya BELIEVE that ****, I ask ya!?
layman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 06:06 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

70 years ago he was so progressive that today, he'd still scare YOU out of a year's growth.

Not really, Woody was a great voice for the working man, but he was never no damn commie. Sure, Pete Seeger and that commie-ass crew falsely announced that Woody was a commie, but he had always refused to join that party.

It's true that he did play those chumps for a paycheck now and again, but.......

Woody was Bobby Dylan's idol and they tried to make the same false claim about him.

Nice try, commie-boys.

There's a story about Woody that I like to re-tell here:

https://able2know.org/topic/269506-2#post-5902796
layman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 07:36 pm
The 10th Amendment (last one in the original bill of rights) says:

Quote:
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Unfortunately, since the days of FDR, this amendment has been steadily watered-down to the point where it's like lookin in a toilet bowl. All the Supreme Court's doin, of course, by activist liberal justices.

But, especially if Trump appoints another justice to the SC, it may get resuscitated. In the meantime, he's doin his best to turn the tide by abolishing many of the millions of "regulations" created by unelected bureaucrats in bloated federal agencies.

Sure, the cheese-eaters will bitch incessantly, but them's the breaks, eh?
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 11:00 pm
@layman,
SCOTUS under the 5-4 control of activist conservatives has repeatedly watered down the peoples' rights, which is why trump has never gotten near 50% support and why the country wants him voted out in nov.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 11:02 pm
@layman,
not Woody. You.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 11:14 pm
@layman,
Yes, really. You clearly have no idea who all woody sang for and wrote for and worked for.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 11:37 pm
@MontereyJack,
He got lucky enough to wind up on KFED, a very progressive, liberal radio station in Los Angeles - so it's more than okay to mention that here.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2020 12:40 am
@blatham,
Quote:
we'll end off here.

You can opt out of the conversation at any time. It's better than recycle the 'white man's burden'.

Hitchens was a very smart, articulate guy who could easily justify a war of choice that killed half a million people, at the least. He could easily do so because he was smart. And you like smart. It's shinny and seductive.

However, they say that "to be smart is to know what to do, but to be wise is to know when not to do it".

Wisen up.
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2020 03:49 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
a war of choice that killed half a million people

And a war against our own brothers, sisters and countrymen at that.
The mind boggles.
0 Replies