layman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 12:04 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

YOU are missing the point. We are a CONSTITUTIONAL representative democracy. The Bill of Rights are the first ten amendments to the constitution.

Heh, you're hopeless. There's little point in addressing you. You don't seem to comprehend even the most elementary concepts.

You are right about one thing though, to wit:

Quote:
"Mob rule" really just means "majority rule",

Which is, of course, what Jefferson said.

layman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 12:05 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
You would be smart to confine yourself to making claims on topics you actually know something about.

You realize you are telling him he should not post.

Good point, CJ. I didn't exactly say that, but.....
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 12:16 pm
@layman,
and, to repeat, majority rule is how we decide things, which according to you must mean we've been doing things by mob rule since the constitution was adopted by moob rule and all our laws were adopted by mob rule, right?
coldjoint

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 12:23 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
moob rule

I rest my case.
layman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 12:25 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

and, to repeat, majority rule is how we decide things, which according to you must mean we've been doing things by mob rule since the constitution was adopted by moob rule and all our laws were adopted by mob rule, right?

You don't have to double-down on stupid, Jack. You can cut your losses at some point, ya know?

Abe Lincoln wrote:
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 12:42 pm
@layman,
that's good advice for you. mob rule is a pejorative term for the way this country in fact has always run its government and a bogus dis on that fact. And yes the constitution is a check on whatever we are that is a republic and whatever we are that is a democracy. That's always the way liberals act, I'm not sure I can say the same about conservatives.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 12:48 pm
@coldjoint,
if your case rests on typos, it's pretty weak, not to say nonexistent. I well remember your repeated usage of "viscous" when you presumably meant "vicious",
0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 01:12 pm
Speaking of political philsophy, and all, has anyone ever heard of Max Stirner? He was a ******* Kraut who lived back in the day. Walt can tell me if I'm wrong, but I believe that name translates to "Max Headroom."

Marx and Engels spent the better part of a 400-500 page book trying to refute Stirner, but they failed.

Stirner wrote:
What is supposed to be my concern? First and foremost, the Good Cause, then God's cause, the cause of mankind, of truth, of freedom, of humanity, of justice; further, the cause of my people, my prince, my fatherland; finally, even the cause of Mind, and a thousand other causes...

All Things Are Nothing To Me. My concern is neither the divine nor the human, not the true, good, just, free, etc., but solely what is mine, and it is not a general one, but is -- unique, as I am unique. Nothing is more to me than myself!

The boy had a point, eh? Just ask any so-called "politician," ya know?

Stirner, after getting good and drunk, used to go out in the alley and howl at the moon at night. He was, he said, pissed off because he couldn't control the moon.
RABEL222

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 01:14 pm
@coldjoint,
No, just another of your stupid idiot posts.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 01:36 pm
@layman,
Stirner deciphered the nature of the cheese-eater, actually:

Max Stirner wrote:
Sacred things exist only for the egoist who does not acknowledge himself, the involuntary egoist [...] in short, for the egoist who would like not to be an egoist, and abases himself (combats his egoism), but at the same time abases himself only for the sake of being exalted and therefore of gratifying his egoism.

Because he would like to cease to be an egoist, he looks about in heaven and earth for higher beings to serve and sacrifice himself to; but, however much he shakes and disciplines himself, in the end he does all for his own sake [...]

[on] this account I call him the involuntary egoist. [...] As you are each instant, you are your own creature in this very 'creature' you do not wish to lose yourself, the creator. You are yourself a higher being than you are, and surpass yourself. [...] [J]ust this, as an involuntary egoist, you fail to recognize; and therefore the 'higher essence' is to you – an alien essence. [...] Alienness is a criterion of the "sacred".
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 01:38 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Lincoln, in 1862, wrote:
If I could save the Union without freeing any slave, I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves, I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone, I would also do that.

To his credit, Lincoln was morally opposed to slavery, but that had nothing to do with his reasons for fighting the civil war. Furthermore, as noted above, he also did not believe that the races were equal or should be treated equally.

Never understood why people don’t get that. Lincoln knew that slavery was already a dying institution. I don’t understand why he didn’t see that his stupid war would prolong racial division, not end it.

Sure glad the USSR didn’t have an Abe Lincoln to 'preserve the Union'.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 01:43 pm
@layman,
A little biographical info on Stirner, who didn't like no damn commies, if you're interested:

Quote:
Max Stirner, was a German philosopher who is often seen as one of the forerunners of nihilism, existentialism, psychoanalytic theory, postmodernism, and individualist anarchism[6][7]. Stirner's main work, The Ego and Its Own, literally known as The Unique And Its Property, or, more colloquially, The Individual and His Property[8][9], was first published in 1845 in Leipzig and has since appeared in numerous editions and translations.

Stirner participated in discussions with a group of young philosophers called Die Freien (The Free Ones) and whom historians have subsequently categorized as the Young Hegelians. Some of the best known names in 19th century literature and philosophy were involved with this group, including Karl Marx, Friedrich Engels, Bruno Bauer and Arnold Ruge.

While some of the Young Hegelians were eager subscribers to Hegel's dialectical method and attempted to apply dialectical approaches to Hegel's conclusions, the left-wing members of the group broke with Hegel. Feuerbach and Bauer led this charge.

Frequently the debates would take place at Hippel's, a wine bar in Friedrichstraße, attended by among others Marx and Engels, who were both adherents of Feuerbach at the time.

The Ego and Its Own, which in part is a polemic against Feuerbach and Bauer, but also against communists such as Wilhelm Weitling and the anarchist Pierre-Joseph Proudhon. He resigned from his teaching position in anticipation of controversy from this work's publication in October 1844.

Later, Marx and Engels wrote a major criticism of Stirner's work. The number of pages Marx and Engels devote to attacking Stirner in the unexpurgated text of The German Ideology exceeds the total of Stirner's written works.

Marx's lengthy ferocious polemic against Stirner has since been considered an important turning point in Marx's intellectual development from idealism to materialism.

It has been argued that historical materialism was Marx's method of reconciling communism with a Stirnerite rejection of morality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Stirner
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 02:03 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
So, no moral obligations for other nations to intervene when 6 million Jews are systematically murdered?
You've avoided the question.

No, I just showed to you how it was mostly theoretical. you won’t find many examples in history of nations sacrificing blood and treasure just to help their neighbor. Of course one can justify an interventionist war out of moral principles. It’s been done often, as you know.... But it does not mean it is sincere. And even when it is, it by no mean implies that one nation intervening in another will be able to act only based on moral principles, in a war abroad, over the course of a long conflict and/or occupation.

In history, war and foreign policy, altruism is like an endangered species: often mentioned, rarely seen, quickly shot at when it shows up.
layman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 02:05 pm
@Olivier5,
For once, you're right, Ollie. Trump agrees with you, too, eh?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 02:25 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
No, I just showed to you how it was mostly theoretical. you won’t find many examples in history of nations sacrificing blood and treasure just to help their neighbor.
Your claim isn't one with which I'm unfamiliar and even which I have not made myself. But note how you've hedged with "mostly" and "many".

Would you go on to posit that a Sanders administration would be equally amoral?
Olivier5

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 02:28 pm
@blatham,
If Sanders was elected, I would expect him to shy away from interventionism, yes. Out of wisdom, like Obama.
layman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 02:32 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

If Sanders was elected, I would expect him to shy away from interventionism, yes. Out of wisdom, like Obama.

Yeah, Burnie would probably focus on intervening domestically and try to effect a "regime change," here at home, eh? From thriving capitalism to miserable, impoverished commieism, ya know?

All while ripping off as much as he could possibly steal for himself, of course.

Burnie would "cooperate" with all foreign countries and give them what they want, at our expense. If they had cash on the barrelhead to pay, anyway.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 02:39 pm
@layman,
Bernie could make your country more human, if perhaps less rich.
0 Replies

revelette3

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 02:41 pm
What The Heck Is Going On With Wisconsin’s Primary?
Lash

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 02:43 pm
@revelette3,
Wisconsin’s governor realizes it’s against medical advice to vote during the hot days of a pandemic.
0 Replies