oralloy

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 10:50 am
@layman,
Yep. The only response that progressives had to the 9/11 attacks was to smirk and say that America got what we deserved.
oralloy

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 10:51 am
https://cdn.creators.com/1054/275377/275377_image.jpg
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 10:54 am
@oralloy,
another wild-eyed right wing fantasy. never happened.
blatham

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 11:05 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
“There are two issues,” [Chomsky] said. “One is a kind of moral issue: do you vote against the greater evil if you don’t happen to like the other candidate? The answer to that is yes. If you have any moral understanding, you want to keep the greater evil out."

Winner of the No ****, Sherlock! award on that one.

There are a lot of fake Dems in that crowd whether Russian or domestic in origin. Most of the rest are just very stupid. As Chomsky points out, they aren't holding the moral high ground. Just the opposite.
oralloy

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 11:14 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
another wild-eyed right wing fantasy. never happened.

Wrong. On 9/11 progressives joined with Muslims in saying that America got what we deserved.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 11:16 am
https://grrrgraphics.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/joe_biden_train_toon.jpg
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 11:16 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
To paraphase, Bernie or Busters are immoral.

Once again demonstrating how ill-conceived the left's cannibalistic tribalism (aka identity politics) is, eh?

Now every lefty accuses the other of being "immoral" if they don't agree with them. Inevitable, of course.

The party is finished. Dead. By suicide.
hightor

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 11:17 am
@blatham,
Quote:
There are a lot of fake Dems in that crowd whether Russian or domestic in origin.

I think of the ones who parade their allegedly superior moral posture as the "neo-puritans", the ones who wouldn't deign to cast a vote for Trump's opponent for fear that their oh-so-precious political souls might be sullied.
layman

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 11:19 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

As Chomsky points out, they aren't holding the moral high ground. Just the opposite.

Yet another demonstration, eh? How blind can you be?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 11:20 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

maporsche wrote:
To paraphase, Bernie or Busters are immoral.

Once again demonstrating how ill-conceived the left's cannibalistic tribalism (aka identity politics) is, eh?

Now every lefty accuses the other of being "immoral" if they don't agree with them. Inevitable, of course.

The party is finished. Dead. By suicide.

I was paraphrasing Chomsky layman. Take it up with him.
blatham

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 11:25 am
@hightor,
Quote:
I think of the ones who parade their allegedly superior moral posture as the "neo-puritans", the ones who wouldn't deign to cast a vote for Trump's opponent for fear that their oh-so-precious political souls might be sullied.

Yes. It is about as intellectually and morally lazy as one can be. I think that's the attraction of absolutisms where ever they appear.

Quote:
Matthew Yglesias
@mattyglesias
4h
I prefer Bernie Sanders to Joe Biden! I have said this many times both on Twitter, in articles, and on podcasts!

That a segment of the Berniesphere refuses to believe this is true simply because I don’t share their pathological hatred of all non-Bernie figures is unfortunate.

Quote:
Sam Stein
@samstein
2h
I can see the case for Biden having real issues in a general. I can see the case for Bernie having real issues in the general. I've definitely encountered more Biden people willing to concede that he has issues in the general than Bernie people willing to concede that.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 11:29 am
I remember seeing a punk get his ass kicked by some bully without putting up any resistance whatsoever.

I asked him why he didn't fight back.

He calmly explained that he was far too moral to try to hurt anybody.

Then, he slammed his fist on the table and shouted: "BUT IF HE EVER TRIES THAT AGAIN , I'LL KILL HIM!!!"

"Morality," the last refuge of the cowardly cheese-eater, eh?
blatham

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 11:41 am
Let me add one important point to the discussion above.

The GOP and allies have two parallel election strategies:
- get their base riled up, active and out to the polls
- do whatever possible to create disaffection and hopelessness on the left so that activism and voting are degraded.

They are acutely aware they are at a disadvantage generally but particularly when Dems are enthusiastic. That's their target.

Jeet Heer speaks to this in a series of tweets. I'll paste the final two
Quote:
Jeet Heer
@HeerJeet
1h
Replying to
@HeerJeet
3. So: if this were a normal election, I'd worry about Biden. But 2020 is hardly normal. Trump is super-unpopular among Dems, including marginal voters. And while he's enjoyed a crisis bump, it's likely to fade after months of coronavirus & recession.
Jeet Heer
@HeerJeet
1h
4. Also: the real source of Biden's appeal, which might extend beyond partisan Dems, is that he's NOT exciting: he's running as a generic Dem, a return to normality, a Democratic Warren Harding. Given crisis situation, many voters fight that attractive.

oralloy

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 11:43 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
I was paraphrasing Chomsky layman. Take it up with him.

People here are already castigating Chomsky for acting like a progressive. Note the last few pages of this thread.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 12:00 pm
@layman,
Nietzsche wrote:
“I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.”

They make a "virtue" out of their utter weakness, sho nuff. If you're a helpless, whining "victim," who blames all of your lack of merit on the "immorality" of others then that proves, ipso facto, that you're a "good person."

It's sorry, really.
layman

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 12:03 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
the real source of Biden's appeal, which might extend beyond partisan Dems, is that he's NOT exciting: he's running as a generic Dem, a return to normality, a Democratic Warren Harding.

Yeah, the more timid, insipid, mediocre and, better yet, incompetent, the boy is, the more they like him, eh? He's one of THEM.

He's a "good person," cause he aint got no claws (in Nietzsche's words) and can't hurt them.

He can easily be punked around, and that gives them their chance to actually overwhelm his will, itstead of it just happening to them 24/7.
layman

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 12:17 pm
@layman,
Burnie is a filthy commie who would never get elected, but, that said, he's the only one with even a long-shot chance of beating Trump.

Why? Because he doesn't try to bullshit anybody, like Trump. He says what he believes, and he appears to be devoted to prevailing., like Trump. Therefore he generates some real enthusiasm amongst his supporters, like Trump
layman

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 12:31 pm
@layman,
I'll repost this because it's especially applicable to Biden.

layman wrote:

Quote:
What Are the Symptoms of Histrionic Personality Disorder?

A person with this disorder might:

Act very dramatically, as though performing before an audience, with exaggerated emotions and expressions, yet appears to lack sincerity.

constantly seek reassurance or approval

Not think before acting

Be excessively sensitive to criticism or disapproval

Be gullible and easily influenced by others

Sounds like most of the cheese-eaters I've run across, sho nuff.

I hate Trump! Therefore I'm moral. If you have any conception of morality at all, you will vote for me.

Newsflash, Joey: A platform of hate with only an ever-changing "agenda," depending on which way the wind seems to be blowing, aint gunna cut it. People want some integrity, and you aint got none. You have no sense of self. All you know is that you hate anyone who does.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 12:34 pm
@layman,
Nietsche" wrote:
Die schlechtesten Leser sind die, welche wie plündernde Soldaten verfahren: sie nehmen sich einiges, was sie brauchen können, heraus, beschmutzen und verwirren das übrige und lästern auf das Ganze.
The worst readers are those who behave like plundering troops: they take away a few things they can use, dirty and confound the remainder, and revile the whole. (Menschliches, Allzumenschliches - Ein Buch für freie Geister. §137 - Human, All Too Human: A Book for Free Spirits)
layman

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 12:56 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Yet another astute observation by Fred, eh, Walt?