Leadfoot

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2020 05:59 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
Are you ready to go? So go, no one around here will miss you.

Snappish!

Seriously, you were given some good advice about say'n stuff like that. There are some people out there who could be hurt, I just don’t happen to be one of ‘em.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2020 06:00 pm
@oralloy,
calling a lie a lie is the truth.
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2020 06:08 pm
@Leadfoot,
very nice of you to write off your fellow citizens. Why do you hate americans?
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2020 06:19 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
Why do you hate americans?

I don’t think you get me. No shame in that, not many do. But thank you for reminding me. I keep forgetting about that then go foolishly writing down my unfiltered thoughts on the interweb.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2020 07:04 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
calling a lie a lie is the truth.

Thus I am telling the truth when I denounce Mr. Obama's lies.

But what you are doing is calling the truth a lie. That is something entirely different.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2020 07:17 pm
Ya know, I've had the flu my whole damn life:

0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 12:01 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
Idiocy deserves to be shown up for what it is.

Yes it does. Keep posting. Laughing
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 12:47 am
All but a few here have been backing Biden and bitching at Burnie for not conceding the nomination. Like it matters, ya know?

I wonder how many of them actually believe that Biden could win an election? Are they that delusional? Do they really think he's presidential material?

A huge number of democrats won't vote for him. Not that they'd vote for Trump, they just won't vote at all. They don't want it on their conscience.
layman

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 12:59 am
@layman,
After the 2016 election a lot of democrats fessed up: They had selected a bad candidate.

Even so, they didn't seem to learn **** from their mistake, eh?
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 03:04 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
It will be interesting to revisit this topic in ninety days or so. It will probably fade as quickly as the LasVegas shooter or any other story. No one can focus on anything for that long anymore. Or we'll just get bored with the dead body count on the news, just like in the good ole days of Vietnam et al.

Those of us who will still be alive, you mean?

Yes the survivors will move one. They always do. Even after the Holocaust they did...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 05:02 am

Noam Chomsky talks about the end of the world.
Be a part of the solution.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 05:15 am
Ah yes, Noam Chomsky, a linguist. All of the claims he made about language acquisition and learning have been disproven, so he decided to go into politics. Yeah, I believe everything Chomsky says. Rolling Eyes
blatham

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 06:02 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
so he decided to go into politics.
Not entirely fair. The video below is from 1969.

Lash

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 06:19 am
@blatham,
Like samurai.

I now have some Firing Line episodes to watch during the Great Hibernation.

I used to love watching this show. Didn't he have some apprentice guy who he treated mercilessly? Black hair, glasses... aha! Michael Kinsey.
Setanta

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 06:39 am
@blatham,
When Chomsky was a "rising star" in linguistics at MIT in the late 50s and in the 60s, he made a series of statements about language acquisition, largely in refutation of B. F. Skinner's claim that language is a learned acquisition. It was his entrée into the ranks of recognized intellectuals. What it served to do, though, was to motivate linguists and human and animal behaviorists to challenge everything he said about language acquisition and learning. All of his ipse dixit claims were shot down in a period of about 15 years. This is not to say that he had nothing to offer in the field of linguistics, but it was the first glaring example of his penchant for slipping the clutch on his mouth, before his brain was in gear. One of his most glaring examples was in his praise of Pol Pot. I have little respect for him, and I certainly do not consider him an oracle on the future of mankind.

It's also hilarious to see Lash citing Chomsky.
Lash

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 06:57 am
@Setanta,
Stop stalking me, creep.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 07:01 am
You're a legend in your own mind.
layman

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 07:09 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
so he decided to go into politics.
Not entirely fair. The video below is from 1969.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DvmLMUfGss[/youtube]

Best part of this vid is at around the 9:00 mark where chomsky says:

"Sometimes I lose my temper, maybe not tonight"

Buckley: "Maybe not tonight because if you did I'd smash you in the Goddamn face."

Chomsky: "That's a good reason not to lose my temper."

Candyass ************.
blatham

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 07:12 am
@Setanta,
I can't speak with any authority as to his career in linguistics. I just wanted to make the point that his involvement with political issues goes back a long way. Of course, there weren't many working in universities during the 60s who weren't so involved.

Aside from that, I think rather better of the fellow than you. For example, his observations on how media institutions, like other key social institutions such as the church, tend to support existing power structures seem to me to be correct. Some find him strident and overly self-certain (as I find Glenn Greenwald) but there's no question that he has spent much of his adult life putting his shoulder to the wheel to the end of greater social equality and to tearing down nationalist mythologies and propagandist machinations. I think we're better for having had his imperfect contributions to political thought.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 07:14 am
@layman,
Unlikely scenario. Hillary supporters outnumbered trump supporters by quite a bit. It was only the poison pill the founding fathers left us in the form of the electoral college which got him in by the slimmest of margins. 60000 votes in swing stateso. Biden consistently wins head to head polls againbst trump. We haven't forgottens, 2020 will not be a replay okf 2016.