coldjoint

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 11:38 am
@layman,
How about a song for the Democrats in November?
layman

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 11:42 am
@coldjoint,
Robert Cray, he ROCKS, eh!?
coldjoint

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 11:48 am
@layman,
Quote:
Robert Cray, he ROCKS, eh!?

Quite a guitar player, right up there with Clapton.
layman

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 11:52 am
@coldjoint,
Speaking of Clapton, and guitar players, he recorded an entire album consisting of nothing but Robert Johnson songs.

He said he would never be able to play like Johnson, but that he could do a passing approximation.

Keith Richards said basically the same thing. He said that for a long time he thought there were two guitars playing on Johnson's recordings.

I guess neither of them sold their souls to the Devil in return for guitar skills.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 11:58 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Joe Biden Kool Aid

The Jim Jones cliche has become so commonplace that I have difficulty recalling other expressions used prior to that event. "Brainwashed" I suppose.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 12:01 pm
@coldjoint,
My very first CD in the 80's was the Strong Persuader album, still have it. Saw him once live in 2008.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 12:02 pm
@hightor,
No argument from me about the cult like following attending Bernie Sanders. However there is more than one form of a tasty but poisoned Kool Aid drink, ant it is to that that I was (obviously I had thought) referring.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 12:06 pm
@Brand X,
Robert Cray doin a Chuck Berry tune:

maporsche

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 12:17 pm
@Lash,
Thank you!!
0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 12:19 pm
I give Burnie credit for being an accomplished con man. Almost in Trump's league, even.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 12:30 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

maporsche wrote:

Lash wrote:
WHICH SIDE ARE YOU ON??

I immediately start with "not yours" and adjust my position depending on the situation.

“Somebody online was mean to me, so poor children shouldn’t have healthcare!!”

You’re the worst America has to offer.

“If you’re against me, you hate poor children.”

You’d just be a bad joke if you didn’t take yourself so ******* seriously.
layman

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 12:36 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
You’d just be a bad joke if you didn’t take yourself so ******* seriously.

Leave poor Lash be, willya? I''m in charge of the bad jokes round this here joint, fool.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 12:45 pm
@layman,
Can ya BELIEVE that ****, I ask ya!?

The sorry-ass cheese-eaters round this here joint even downvote Chuck Berry and Robert Cray. Some people, I tells ya....
Lash

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 12:46 pm
@snood,
I have a pretty liberal sense of humor, but dying people isn’t funny to me.
Good for you tho. Laughing all the way down. Down to Chinatown.

layman

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 12:49 pm
@Lash,
Thanks a lot, Darlin. I think I just picked up the Kung Flu watchin that vid.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 12:51 pm
@layman,
It’s clearly preposterous and indicative of a LOW appreciation for classic blues. Inexcusable.
blatham

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 12:53 pm
An administration focused like a laser on the important responsibilities it has right now
Quote:
According to Der Spiegel, the G7 foreign ministers haven’t been able to agree on a joint statement because of Pompeo’s insistence it refer to #coronavirus as the “Wuhan virus”. Pompeo did not deny that this morning - said G7 don’t agree on everythinghttps://t.co/hizImEAtnK
—@julianborger

This Trump-mandated mis-use of language is inexplicable outside of some propagandist rationale. Trump had previously, from January, consistently used "the corona virus" even while lauding China's handling of the pandemic. But suddenly this new term was tossed out along with an abrupt change in references to China. So what's the perceived advantage?

1) It does add an xenophobic content which Trump is always willing to use in order to appeal to his base particularly. Threats (falsified or exaggerated) from some external enemy are perhaps the single most common propaganda device as Orwell portrayed - East Asia, Oceania, Eurasia.

2) It shifts attention away from the propagandizing regime to something other. "Don't look at us. Don't blame us."

It's that second use that best explains Trump's use (and that of his administration and supporters) of "chinese virus" or "wuhan virus" because attempting to escape blame/responsibility for everything going wrong about anything is Trump's first move. Always.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 12:54 pm
@Lash,
Well, truth be told, that sho nuff aint no classic blues. But I know one thing: that disease is highly contagious. And I didn't see a single face in that vid that wasn't obviously badly infected with it. Admittedly, I couldn't watch it all. I had to run for my malaria medicine.

I mean, like, even the buildings had it.
hightor

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 01:00 pm
Quote:
Bernie Sanders the only statesman in this country.

He's not practicing statecraft, he's engaging in politics.

Quote:
Here he is, saving lives.

Doctors, nurses, and first responders save lives. Chairing a roundtable discussion with health experts is not "saving lives".

But it is a good (constructive) way for a politician to stay in the limelight.
hightor

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 01:02 pm
@Brand X,
"...that still hot smokin' gun..."
0 Replies