Lash

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 07:25 am
We have a man of this stature among us.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 08:16 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ET7FyA2XgAAUiSl?format=png&name=900x900

NYC is posting real-time updates on infection data. What I find interesting here is the two groups comprising just under 80%. Those are the ones who are most likely to be out and about and thus more susceptible.

Not difficult to grasp how these data relate to Trump's planned Easter Sunday economy "restart" idea.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 08:35 am
Quote:
We have a man of this stature among us.

A man who lowered tax rates on the wealthy, authorized the Bay of Pigs invasion, and never denounced the war in Vietnam. Okay.
Lash

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 08:46 am
@hightor,
I agree JFK was overrated, but at the end of his life, he was touting the dissolution of the CIA, universal healthcare (pretty vociferously), and he took on Civil Rights when it was virulently unpopular. That's heroism to me.

Abraham, Martin, John, and Bernie. Sounds perfect!

maporsche

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 08:50 am
Ok, let's stack Bernie's "accomplishments" up against Lincoln, MLK, & JFK....
Setanta

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 08:50 am
@hightor,
Don't forget the murder of Ngô Đình Nhu, less than a month before he was shot himself.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 08:52 am
Biden--our hero, gearing up for the fight for America with Donald Trump, growls and says, "
The Hill
@thehill
· 14h
Biden: I don't want to be in a political fight with Trump over coronavirus http://hill.cm/9jsA0l6

That's your man, huh? LOL!!!!
snood

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 08:53 am
@maporsche,
Quote:

Man, she’s as gone in the head as the Trump cultists.
maporsche

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 08:58 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

Quote:

Man, she’s as gone in the head as the Trump cultists.

Any day now, as Bernie approaches his 80th birthday, you're finally going to see him get something accomplished that would make him rise to the level of 3 of the most recognized leaders in American history....any day now...any....day.......
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 08:58 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Abraham, Martin, John, and Bernie.

I'm trying to figure out how that would sound in Dion's song. I was working on a lyric and then realized that what these popular heroes have in common is that they were all the victims of assassination. You might want to think it over before nominating Sanders for a place in that pantheon. If you know what I mean.
Lash

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 09:05 am

JFK making the argument for universal healthcare.
layman

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 09:14 am
Why does Burnie, the multii-millionaire, keep campaigning, you ask? Two words: Campaign funds.

Quote:
Bernie Campaign Funneled Millions to Company Connected To Bernie’s Wife

Democrat presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont faces numerous scandals or potential scandals regarding his family’s financial practices and the bookkeeping practices of his past campaigns. Sanders’ former congressional campaigns funneled money to Sanders’ wife and stepdaughter. Sanders’ 2016 presidential campaign fed millions of dollars to a makeshift political ad buying company run by Sanders’ wife’s friends.

The Vermont-focused nonprofit news organization VTDigger reported in July 2016: “The unassuming two-story, single family home…is the registered address for Old Towne Media LLC — the media buying company that purchased more than $82 million in TV ad time for Bernie Sanders’ Democratic presidential campaign,

Old Towne’s income from the Sanders campaign has not been disclosed, but the industry standard for ad buy commissions is 15 percent. Based on that formula, the firm could have made $12 million. Bernie’s campaign financials filed in June 2016 show a disbursement to Old Towne Media for $10,612,155.20. That’s right. More than $10 million.

The ad agency, established in 2014, has almost exclusively served the Sanders campaign, and the company keeps a low profile. It has no website and no listed phone number. A full list of principals isn’t publicly available. Old Towne Media has another connection to Sanders: The two principal buyers for the company worked in the past with his wife, Jane. Jane Sanders, Shelli Hutton-Hartig and Barbara Abar Bougie were media buyers during Bernie Sanders’ 2006 Senate race.”

Shelli Hutton-Hartig and Barbara Abar Bougie are reportedly Jane Sanders’ good friends., according to the Bennington Banner.

Jane Sanders collected over $90,000 from her husband Bernie’s House campaigns for her work as a consultant and ad placer from 2002-2004, while Bernie’s stepdaughter Carina Driscoll made $65,000.

To this day, speculation swirls about why Sanders willingly gave up at the end of the Democrat nominating fight and backed Hillary Clinton wholeheartedly at the party’s convention in Philadelphia. Pro-Bernie delegates stormed off the convention floor and laid siege to the media tent in Philadelphia, but their leader Sanders was not agitating alongside them — rather, Sanders ceremonially nominated Hillary Clinton himself.

https://nationalfile.com/bernie-campaign-funneled-millions-to-company-connected-to-bernies-wife/

I just picked this source because it was the first one that came up. There are plenty more out there reporting the same things, often local Vermont papers who know Burnie and his methods.

Burnie announced, long ago, that he would withdraw and endorse Biden EVEN IF Biden did not have the votes necessary to win the nomination. If Biden had more delegates, Burnie said he would concede anyway.

Burnie doesn't want the job. He just wants to campaign. He and his family just want to get their filthy mitts on all that campaign money that chumps pump in.

Saint Bernie knows how to play chumps, ya gotta give him that.
Lash

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 09:15 am
@hightor,
Yeah. I think we have a few more good years before adding the stanza.

As I said--we have a man of that stature among us, working for us now. I'm glad to be able to appreciate him now.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 09:19 am
@Lash,
Quote:
That's your man, huh?

He's not anyone's "man"; he's the likely Democratic candidate to face Trump in November.

He's criticized the administration for its slow response and the president for his misstatements. What some people fail to see is that Trump, for all his faults (like being the worst president in modern history), is the elected leader of the USA and the country is in the midst of a serious crisis. Trading insults and name-calling like people do on A2K and other online forums is not the kind of "leadership" the country needs and Biden knows that. Sanders knows that. Trump doesn't know that.

It's an important distinction. Let Trump continue to make an ass of himself, and deny the Republicans the chance to use "disloyalty", "undermining our nation", and "disrespect for the office" as parts of a counterattack. I think that's a better strategy for Biden — or any other presumptive candidate trying to unseat an incumbent during a national emergency.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 09:21 am
@Lash,
Quote:
JFK making the argument for universal healthcare.

Truman beat him to it. More names to add to the song!
Lash

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 09:21 am
@layman,
Actually, he's raising funds for coronavirus relief, but don't get bogged down in the truth.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/03/21/not-done-yet-bernie-sanders-campaign-mobilizes-donors-coronavirus-relief-and-raises

WARNING!! TRIGGER WARNING FOR SNOOD, THE HILLARY CULTIST! hahahaha!!!

'Not Done Yet': Bernie Sanders Campaign Mobilizes Donors for Coronavirus Relief and Raises $2 Million
"The Bernie Sanders campaign puts its fundraising prowess to another purpose."

excerpt:

Sen. Bernie Sanders' for the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination campaign's prodigious fundraising operation raised $2 million for charities helping those most affected by the coronavirus outbreak crisis in the last 48 hours in a move that supporters said exemplified the message of solidarity the Vermont lawmaker has run on.

"Bernie Sanders supporters have contributed more than $2 million in 2 days to charities helping people whose lives have been impacted by the coronavirus," tweeted political strategist Tim Tagaris. "Not done yet."

The campaign mobilized staff and volunteers to text and call to raise money for five charities: Meals on Wheels, No Kid Hungry, Restaurant Workers’ Community Foundation COVID-19 Emergency Relief Fund, One Fair Wage Emergency Fund, and the National Domestic Workers Alliance.

Robin Curran, the campaign's digital fundraising director, said in a statement that the money raised showed the importance of Sanders' "Not me, us" slogan.

"What we've seen in the last two days is the definition of 'fighting for someone you don't know,'" said Curran. "The people supporting this campaign have made more than 50,000 donations to help those most impacted by coronavirus because they understand that now more than ever it is important that we are in this together."

According to the campaign, there will be more efforts to raise money for the least fortunate affected by the crisis in the coming days.

Sanders has taken a leadership role on handling the crisis both in Washington and nationally. The senator has led online forums on the crisis and addressed the nation via virtual "fireside chats."

As Common Dreams reported Friday, Sanders' remaining rival for the Democratic nomination, former Vice President Joe Biden, has not been seen in days.

On Friday night, during a roundtable on the outbreak, Sanders said that the crisis can only be solved by innovative thinking and extreme measures.

"In this extraordinary moment in American and world history, we have got to think outside the box in a way that we have never done," said Sanders. "This is an unprecedented moment and we have got to think in an unprecedented way."
Lash

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 09:22 am
@hightor,
Truman was not half bad!
0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 09:30 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Sen. Bernie Sanders' for the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination campaign's prodigious fundraising operation raised $2 million for charities

Oh, I see now. The magic word "charity" is thrown in so one cannot even imagine that Burnie ripped off a chunk, eh?

I wonder what the "costs" of Burnie employing his fund raising talents for "charity" were, eh?

Got any figures on that?
Lash

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 09:41 am
@layman,
Dude. He has 2 million regular donors--I'm one of them. He sends out emails asking us to donate for this reason or that.

He's got access to a mammoth fundraising machine.

Sometimes we donate because we're pissed at something stupid Clinton says or the DNC does.

We stay pissed.

They're a river of revenue for Bernie. When he runs against Trump, I'm sure we'll be pissed on a daily basis.

We don't need middlemen.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 09:48 am
@layman,
Burnie certainly knows well that the campaign promises he makes could never, in a million years, be fulfilled. So why does he even make such proposals?

Suppose you're a parent with several kids, facing costs of $300,000+ (each) to put them through college. Now suppose Burnie promises you that it will all be FREE! A prudent parent would certainly see that a $1,000 contribution to Burnie would yield a tremendous cost/benefit ratio, eh?

Successful con games always rely on the gullibility of the chump being played, but they never work without one added element: i.e., the greed of the chump.