McGentrix

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 07:11 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ET3XMLmXYAEQAfq?format=jpg&name=medium

Don't let Max see this. There is no real science there.
oralloy

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 07:42 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
(Reuters) - The highly contagious novel coronavirus that has exploded into a global pandemic can remain viable and infectious in droplets in the air for hours and on surfaces up to days, according to a new study that should offer guidance to help people avoid contracting the respiratory illness called COVID-19.

Scientists from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), part of the U.S. National Institutes of Health, attempted to mimic the virus deposited from an infected person onto everyday surfaces in a household or hospital setting, such as through coughing or touching objects.

They used a device to dispense an aerosol that duplicated the microscopic droplets created in a cough or a sneeze.

The scientists then investigated how long the virus remained infectious on these surfaces, according to the study that appeared online in the New England Journal of Medicine on Tuesday.

The tests show that when the virus is carried by the droplets released when someone coughs or sneezes, it remains viable, or able to still infect people, in aerosols for at least three hours.

On plastic and stainless steel, viable virus could be detected after three days. On cardboard, the virus was not viable after 24 hours. On copper, it took 4 hours for the virus to become inactivated.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-study/coronavirus-can-persist-in-air-for-hours-and-on-surfaces-for-days-study-idUSKBN2143QP
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 07:44 am
@McGentrix,
And he's talking about probables as well. I still believe that having a medical scientist embedded in the Chinese CDC may have helped us in finding out the seriousness and extent of the virus earlier — this is admittedly speculation. What we can definitely say is that not having a scientist in that position closed the door on that possibility.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 07:45 am
I'm afraid I'll blow up my electronics. How do you safely sanitize your phone and computer keyboard?
Brand X

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 07:52 am
The company I work for receives a lot of payments via checks which is sketchy, but how many millions are exchanging cash....and the CDC says the virus can stay active on surfaces for 17 days, previously though only 72 hours.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 07:58 am
Matt Stoller
@matthewstoller
·
3m
It's fascinating that Jim Cramer is on CNBC pushing Nancy Pelosi to the left, basically pushing her to guarantee that 150 million workers will be kept on on payroll. She won't.
Matt Stoller
@matthewstoller
·
5m
Nancy Pelosi is on CNBC saying that everyone "wants [the stock market] to thrive."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 07:58 am
@Lash,
Someone who's infected used/uses it? Shocked
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 08:17 am
A week ago, my brother and I were discussing this possibility for storage of deceased (hospitals have little capacity)
Quote:
Madrid Using Ice Rink As Makeshift Morgue As COVID-19 Deaths Surge
TPM
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 08:17 am
@Lash,
Never lose an opportunity to try to get in a dig, Walter, no matter how lame it is. Nice job.

No, and I didn't shake hands with anybody either, but I wash my hands constantly with anti-bacterial soap.

Gee, I hope you know the proper procedures to stay uninfected, poophead.
blatham

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 08:25 am
Quote:
WHO warns United States could become next epicenter of global coronavirus crisis, citing ‘very large acceleration’ in infections
WP
hightor

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 08:42 am
@blatham,
Quote:
A team of ear, nose and throat doctors said that losing your sense of smell may be a hidden symptom of the coronavirus. The British doctors warned that adults experiencing recent loss of their sense of smell could be unknown carriers of the virus and urged them to consider self-isolation.

This could spark a revival of posies. For the purpose of detection rather than masking foul odors.
oralloy

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 09:16 am
@hightor,
Reviving the popularity of posies is a depressing thing to think about during a pandemic. Sad
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 09:17 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
I'm afraid I'll blow up my electronics. How do you safely sanitize your phone and computer keyboard?

If I lived in a city I'd be really wary of pressing elevator buttons.

I don't know the answer to your question. I'm just adding a random thought.
blatham

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 09:22 am
@hightor,
Quote:
This could spark a revival of posies.
Hopefully no concurrent revival of Victorian poetry. That might make me infect myself on purpose.
Lash

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 09:26 am
@oralloy,
hahaha. That's sort of what I did too. I can google this.

I need to deepen sanitizing forever. I've never sanitized my phone (though I've wiped if off plenty) or my keyboards--or my car sprockets.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 09:29 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Gee, I hope you know the proper procedures to stay uninfected, poophead.
Virology was part of my postgraduate degree, and my university courses were open for the department of Nursing Science as well. I've worked with quite few HIV-infected persons.
I suppose, this was the reason why I became the hygiene management person in my charity (certified, of course).

But all that's a couple years ago, so I really might have to get an update.
revelette3

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 09:34 am
@blatham,
Funny you should say that. I have been reading George Bryon, his life and poetry for two days. He was a lot deeper than what I always thought.

It is hard to read about historical figures, you never know if your source was biased in one way or another.
Brand X

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 11:47 am
Bernie Sanders
@SenSanders
·
2h
It is insane and unacceptable that the Trump Administration has given the Gilead pharmaceutical corporation a seven-year monopoly on a potential coronavirus treatment.

We will not tolerate profiteering. Any treatment or vaccine must be made free for all.
Lash

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 11:50 am
@Brand X,
It's like a spiraling nightmare. Who could dare have any part in that scenario?

I hope no one misses the allusion to Gilead...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 11:57 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Obviously. Please get on that.