layman

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 05:36 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
implicating Chinese people.

No, it does not, it identifies where the virus comes from. I know racism and oppression are all you got. People are bright enough not to blame anything on the Chinese people. Maybe you are not.

Yes it does. If he wanted to identify where the virus came from he could have used a more locational term like "China virus." Saying "Chinese" implies Chinese people.

Don't be a racist.

Stop oppressing people.

You just proved CJ's point for him. Good work!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 06:53 pm
@McGentrix,
OK. First, thanks for that link! I'd actually kind of forgotten Annenberg and that's a mistake. They do top notch work there. Jamieson and Cappella's "Echo Chamber - Rush Limbaugh and the Conservative Media Establishment" is a wonderfully detailed examination of its subject.

The piece you linked is an example of fact checking done right. I have no quibble with the corrections to statements by Biden and others that are addressed.

But I'm not sure your case is helped much if you are defending Trump. As the piece notes, if Dems had not intervened and if Trump had gotten his way with budgetary measures, the agencies protecting us from runaway pandemics would have been stripped far more than has happened.

I'll quote just one bit that's relevant to the overall picture:
Quote:
But the lack of someone in the White House to coordinate the response to a widespread disease outbreak in the U.S. is something numerous experts and groups at the time had cautioned against.

In a November 2019 report, the Center for Strategic & International Studies recommended restoring the global health security position on the NSC as one of seven key changes to better protect the American public from global health threats.

“It remains unclear who would be in charge at the White House in the case of a grave pandemic threat or cross-border biological crisis,” the report reads, noting that such leadership is “critical in navigating challenging political issues like quarantines and travel bans and in communicating to and reassuring the American public.”

“The authorities currently in place at HHS are insufficient to address these critical, complex, and often urgent interagency demands,” the report continues. “In addition to coordinating the interagency process, a global health security and biodefense directorate at the NSC can reform fragmented programs and ensure higher efficiencies, strengthened accountability, and better spending of scarce resources.”

We reached out to the White House press office, but we haven’t received any information on the NSC staffing.

I hope everyone takes the time to read your link. It really is very good.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 07:14 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:
He is talking to Blatham about his claim. 4 posts back.

Yeah, and I'm talking about the same thing.

Here's what McGentrix said when I quoted a bit of the story from Vox that blatham referred to:

"So, you are under the impression that the CDC has one person in China? And that one person leaving means that the entire CDC in China became useless?"

Yeah, that was the point of the story — again, from the article in Vox by Sean Collins:

"As part of that collaboration, China has allowed the US to embed a public health official in its CDC.
Until July 2019, that embed was Dr. Linda Quick, an epidemiologist."

Seems plain as day. The FactCheck article was about misrepresentations in accounts of CDC funding but the CDC embed in China was not mentioned and there's no reason to believe that the program is still functional since no replacement was named.

The bottom line is, the story in the Vox piece is not invalidated by the FactCheck article.
coldjoint

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 07:26 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
The bottom line is, the story in the Vox piece is not invalidated by the FactCheck article.

Calm down, you are going to pull something.
snood

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 07:44 pm
@coldjoint,
He really should calm way down. It’s a waste of energy trying to reason with you.
coldjoint

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 07:47 pm
@snood,
Quote:
It’s a waste of energy trying to reason with you.

He was not trying to reason with me. He was telling me I made a mistake. Where did you see an attempt at reasoning?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 08:03 pm
@hightor,
Correct.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 12:47 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Correct.

But it's not.
Quote:

In a statement to Reuters, the U.S. CDC said the elimination of the adviser position did not hinder Washington’s ability to get information and “had absolutely nothing to do with CDC not learning of cases in China earlier.”

The agency said its decision not to have a resident adviser “started well before last summer and was due to China’s excellent technical capability and maturity of the program.”

The CDC said it has assigned two of its Chinese employees as “mentors” to help with the training program. The agency did not respond to questions about the mentors’ specific role or expertise.

“CDC has had a 30-year partnership with China CDC and close collaboration,” the statement said. “We had the right staff to engage China and ability to provide technical assistance were it requested.”

One disease expert told Reuters he was skeptical that the U.S. resident adviser would have been able to get earlier or better information to the Trump administration, given the Chinese government’s suppression of information.

“In the end, based on circumstances in China, it probably wouldn’t have had made a big difference,” Scott McNabb, who was a CDC epidemiologist for 20 years and is now a research professor at Emory University. “The problem was how the Chinese handled it. What should have changed was the Chinese should have acknowledged it earlier and didn’t.”

One person was not going to be some miracle worker single handedly saving the world. It's nothing but another Liberal crutch to support their ever weakening grasp on the reality of four more years of Trump.

Also, the CDC has 3 American and 11 Local experts working in China. Not just one person.
hightor

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 02:19 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
“It was heartbreaking to watch,” said Bao-Ping Zhu, a Chinese American who served in that role, which was funded by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, between 2007 and 2011. “If someone had been there, public health officials and governments across the world could have moved much faster.”

(...)

The CDC would not make Quick, who still works for the agency, available for comment.

(...)

The CDC team, aside from Quick, was housed at U.S. Embassy facilities. No American CDC staffer besides Quick was embedded with China’s disease control agency, the sources said.

(...)

Nevertheless, the infectious disease experts who spoke with Reuters said, the United States could use people like Quick with contacts on the ground, especially if fears of a second wave of infections materializes.

Thomas R. Frieden, a former director of the CDC, said that if the U.S. resident adviser had still been in China, “it is possible that we would know more today about how this coronavirus is spreading and what works best to stop it.”

(...)

“The message from the administration was, ‘Don’t work with China, they’re our rival,’” Frieden said.

Looks like the people who still work there want to keep their jobs and the people who've left are free to speak the truth. Sounds like the CDC is engaging in damage control.
layman

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 03:41 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Thomas R. Frieden, a former director of the CDC, said that if the U.S. resident adviser had still been in China, “it is possible that we would know more today about how this coronavirus is spreading and what works best to stop it.”

Possible, eh? What the hell does that mean?

Would China, who was withholding information and putting out false "information" to the entire world, go to this one *special* person and given her, and her alone, the facts and the truth?

Well, it's "possible," I suppose.

It's also "possible" that Trump could have nuked the entire city where this kung flu started and saved both China and the entire world a lot of grief. Trump just didn't do enough, I tells ya!
layman

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 04:05 am
@layman,
Last week I called up Fox News, and told them I had a scoop about Biden. They put me through to a reporter.

I told that fool: "It's possible that Joe Biden has been sexually molesting chubby little 3 year-old boys for his entire adult life. And you can quote me on that!"

For some damn reason, they wouldn't even pass on my revelation to the country, which deserves to know.

Their loss. I have a whole list of despicable things that Biden may possibly have done, and I'm not gunna tell them.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 04:10 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Quote:
blatham wrote:
Correct.

But it's not.

My comment was in response to hightor's statement that Linda Quick was not mentioned in the Annenberg article. She is not.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 04:11 am
@layman,
Quote:

You know what it means, as you were able to come up with an example. Rolling Eyes
Quote:
It's also "possible" that Trump could have nuked the entire city where this kung flu started and saved both China and the entire world a lot of grief.

Frieden's statement represents the opinion of someone who directed the CDC and suggests that we lost an opportunity when the embedded epidemiologist's position was cut. So I take it with a greater degree of seriousness than I do the fanciful scenario which you just made up and isn't based on any direct experience. A possibility is distinct from an event which can be shown to have occurred. So what?

blatham

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 04:17 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Looks like the people who still work there want to keep their jobs and the people who've left are free to speak the truth. Sounds like the CDC is engaging in damage control.

That's my reading as well.

But as I noted earlier on, McG is not much helped by the Annenberg fact check piece if he is trying to offer support for Trump because, as that piece itself notes, Trump has tried on multiple occasions to reduce funding and personnel for pandemic prevention/mangement. Should we give him a gold star for failing?

Or if the intention was to suggest Vox is an unreliable source based on the piece from them I quoted, it looks like the only thing they got wrong was to use "defunding" a position where they ought to have used "eliminating" the position. That's not an important distinction.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 04:23 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Frieden's statement represents the opinion of someone who directed the CDC and suggests that we lost an opportunity.

"Suggests?" To whom? I notice he didn't use any kinda word like "probable," eh?

If it's not impossible, then it's possible. So that "suggests" to me that Joe Biden fucks farm animals.
blatham

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 04:40 am
As we all likely know now, a man who took drugs Trump recommended (and Fauci warned against) died from them. His wife, who also took them is in ICU. This is her statement;
Quote:
"Trump kept saying it was basically pretty much a cure."
NBC: "What would be your message to the American public?"
Woman: "Oh my God. Don't take anything. Don't believe anything. Don’t believe anything that the President says & his people...call your doctor." https://twitter.com/nbcnews/status/1242212084647104514
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 04:44 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ET3XMLmXYAEQAfq?format=jpg&name=medium

hightor

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 04:49 am
@layman,
Quote:
So that "suggests" to me that Joe Biden fucks farm animals.

Then you simply show yourself have an overly active and rather lewd imagination.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 05:20 am
David Fahrenthold notes the present status of Trump's biggest revenue generators

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ET1d6P1XQAATOgt?format=jpg&name=large

And we note Trump's recent talk about the cure being worse than the disease.

0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 07:05 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:

You know what it means, as you were able to come up with an example. Rolling Eyes
Quote:
It's also "possible" that Trump could have nuked the entire city where this kung flu started and saved both China and the entire world a lot of grief.

Frieden's statement represents the opinion of someone who directed the CDC and suggests that we lost an opportunity when the embedded epidemiologist's position was cut. So I take it with a greater degree of seriousness than I do the fanciful scenario which you just made up and isn't based on any direct experience. A possibility is distinct from an event which can be shown to have occurred. So what?

Are we making appeals to authority? Cayse I quoted a dude with 20 years experience as an epidemiologist.
Quote:
“In the end, based on circumstances in China, it probably wouldn’t have had made a big difference,” Scott McNabb, who was a CDC epidemiologist for 20 years and is now a research professor at Emory University. “The problem was how the Chinese handled it. What should have changed was the Chinese should have acknowledged it earlier and didn’t.”