Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2020 07:13 am
@blatham,
Quote:
Usha Reddi, the mayor of Manhattan, Kansas, went to the meeting hoping that the commissioners would declare an emergency, which they ultimately did. But what she heard from the chairman, Republican Marvin Rodriguez, was this: “I’m paraphrasing, but he said we don’t have a problem here because Italy has a lot of Chinese people, and we don’t have that problem here.”

Reached by phone, Rodriguez told The Star Editorial Board, “I didn’t necessarily say it like that.” So how did he say it? “Italy has a problem with its health department, first. It’s health for everybody. I have a friend in the Navy, and he said in that area” of Northern Italy where that country’s first cases were reported, “there’s a garment industry and a lot of Chinese. If we were like Italy, we’d have it already.”

We do have it already. But, does he understand why it’s dangerous to Asian Americans to talk like that, and that there has been an increase in reported attacks?

“Well, they say it came out of China,” he answered, “and I’m not putting it past the Chinese government in communist China.” Meaning, to export a virus on purpose? “Normally, this kind of thing spreads slowly,” he answered, so “I put two and two together. I’ve been around a long time, girl.”

He also said that his only public policy goal in saying all of this was to try to discourage panic. “We’re hurting a lot of people in Manhattan” by overreacting, he said. “Places are being shut down for no reason at all.”

All of the above not only encourages racist attacks but also encourages the public to ignore the life-saving advice of public health officials to take proper precautions to avoid transmitting the virus.
[...]
That the coronavirus has no nationality should be obvious. It’s no more the fault of the Chinese people, or of their government, than it was the fault of Kansans that the “Spanish flu” of a century ago seems to have started in Kansas. Very close to home for Mr. Rodriguez, in fact, among World War I soldiers at Camp Funston, part of Fort Riley in Geary and Riley counties.
Kansas City Star
blatham

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2020 07:15 am
Quote:
Jonathan Martin
@jmartNYT
· 12h
Folks, the total number of unemployment claims *nationally* was 281,000 last week

Pennsylvania lawmakers were told today on a call with a state official that 180,000 Pennsylvanians applied for unemployment just in the last few days
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2020 07:17 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
I’m not putting it past the Chinese government in communist China.” Meaning, to export a virus on purpose? “Normally, this kind of thing spreads slowly,” he answered, so I put two and two together.

Yes. Simple arithmetic. Some people are very talented that way.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2020 07:48 am
Fox in a nutshell

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ETjkB5DWoAAPFf2?format=jpg&name=900x900
snood

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2020 07:49 am
@blatham,
Unbelievable
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2020 08:02 am
@blatham,
That had been reported earlier by the NYT (and other media) as well.

Senator Richard Burr Sold a Fortune in Stocks as G.O.P. Played Down Coronavirus Threat
Quote:
WASHINGTON — Senator Richard M. Burr sold hundreds of thousands of dollars’ worth of stock in major companies last month, as President Trump and others in his party were still playing down the threat presented by the coronavirus outbreak and before the stock market’s precipitous plunge.

The stocks were sold in mid-February, days after Mr. Burr, Republican of North Carolina and the chairman of the Intelligence Committee, wrote an opinion article for Fox News suggesting that the United States was “better prepared than ever before” to confront the virus. At least three other senators sold major stock holdings around the same time, disclosure records show.

Two weeks after Mr. Burr sold his stocks, he spoke at the Capitol Hill Club in Washington to a nonpartisan group called the Tar Heel Club, warning that the virus could soon cause a major disruption in the United States.

The gathering, which drew fewer than 100 people, included representatives from the North Carolina governor’s office, as well as staff members from other congressional offices in the state.

“There’s one thing that I can tell you about this: It is much more aggressive in its transmission than anything we have seen in recent history,” Mr. Burr said, according to a recording obtained by NPR, which reported on his remarks on Thursday. “It’s probably more akin to the 1918 pandemic.”

He added: “Every company should be cognizant of the fact that you may have to alter your travel. You may have to look at your employees and judge whether the trip they’re making to Europe is essential or whether it can be done on video conference.”

Mr. Burr has long pushed for the United States to better prepare for the threat presented by pandemics, including sponsoring legislation that Congress passed in 2006 called the Pandemic and All-Hazards Preparedness Act.
[...]
It is apparently not the first time Mr. Burr has acted decisively to shield his assets from financial turmoil after hearing from government officials. In 2009, he recounted in a speech how after he heard Treasury Secretary Henry M. Paulson discuss a major company’s difficulty moving money between banks, he called his wife and instructed her to withdraw as much cash as possible from their own accounts out of fear there would be a run on funds.

Three other senators also sold major holdings around the time Mr. Burr did, according to the disclosure records: Dianne Feinstein, Democrat of California, who is also a member of the Intelligence Committee; James M. Inhofe, Republican of Oklahoma; and Kelly Loeffler, Republican of Georgia.
layman

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2020 08:13 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Actor Peter Fonda: Barron Trump should be 'ripped' from Melania, placed in 'cage with pedophiles

Actor Peter Fonda delivered a profane Twitter rant against President Trump’s immigration policies Wednesday morning, saying the president’s 12-year-old son Barron should be taken from his mother and placed in a “cage with pedophiles.

“We should rip Barron Trump from his mother’s arms and put him in a cage with pedophiles and see if his mother will stand up against the giant a—hole she is married to,” he wrote in all caps.

He also encouraged followers to dig up the names of Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents, “surround their homes” in protest and harass their children at school.

“We should hack the system, get the addresses of the ICE agents [Customs and Border Protection] agents and surround their homes in protest. We should find out what schools their children go to and surround the schools in protest. These agents are doing this cuz they want to do it. They like doing this,” he added.

“We don’t have to take the agents kids, we only need to surround their schools and scare the s—t out of them and worry the f—k out of the agents from CBE ICE and regular border patrol agents. We need to scare the f—k out of them! Need to make their children worry now.”

The actor has not yet issued an apology.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jun/20/actor-peter-fonda-barron-trump-should-be-ripped-me/

As any cheese-eater would tell you, this is simply an expression of completely justified hate of a brutal tyrant, accompanied by a suggestion of appropriate action, eh?

Fonda put his real name on that ****, eh, Hi? You can too!

0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2020 08:14 am
@Walter Hinteler,
(?) Blatham was not pointing out that the inside trading scandal was being reported on Fox because he thought Fox was the only one reporting it. He was highlighting the way that Fox only mentioned one name - the Democrat - in the headline.
Brand X

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2020 08:24 am
Michael Tracey
@mtracey
·
55m
Bernie is not running any more. Stop deceiving people. Especially given widespread financial mismanagement in the campaign (many stories to come) it's immoral to continue soliciting donations for that failed enterprise
Quote Tweet

Mike Prysner
@MikePrysner
· 10h
Bernie is still running in the Democratic Primary. If people rally behind him, in the midst of a national crisis that highlights the need for him over Trump/Biden—in an election that could very well be delayed causing momentum to shift in his favor—he still has a chance.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2020 08:25 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

You must be drunk writing because you did NOT speak of Bernie in that paragraph. You spoke of his surrogates, or his insufferable supporters who "flocked to his message online." But you did not mention his actions or his policies. And that's telling of a person who bases his opinion on hearsay and public perception rather than on facts.

My last response to you today. Your misrepresentation of my posts is disgusting me and cannot be blamed on alcohol this early in the day.

My first paragraph.
https://able2know.org/topic/468987-832#post-6975997

Quote:
I knew all I needed to know about Bernie Sanders when I learned of his policies, his campaign, the people he chose for his staff, the surrogates he allowed to speak for him, the endorsements he took, his methods and strategy, and his animosity towards the Democratic Party and to the voters who failed to be hoodwinked by his fairy tales.

I bolded the reference to Bernie Sanders himself in the first sentence. I then bolded and underlined all the references to Bernie Sanders throughout the rest of the paragraph.

I'm speaking only of his policies, his actions, his choices, his campaign, his strategy, his methods, his animosity, his endorsements.

Have a good day. Stay safe and stay inside if you can.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2020 09:08 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
He was highlighting the way that Fox only mentioned one name - the Democrat - in the headline.
I got that. Thus the different headline for my quoted NYT-report
layman

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2020 09:09 am
I'm thinking about starting a new third party myself. My candidates will be Peter Fonda, Pres., and Maxine Waters, VP.

I think I'll call it the "Haters against Trump" party.

I'm not gunna do it for the politics of it all.

It's the billions in immediate cash campaign donations that I'm looking forward to, ya know?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2020 09:33 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Reuters report: Republican senators dumped stock before coronavirus market crash
Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Two Republican senators faced calls to resign on Friday over media reports that they sold substantial amounts of stock ahead of the global coronavirus-induced market meltdown after receiving private briefings on the outbreak.
[...]
Tucker Carlson, a conservative Fox News commentator, told his viewers on Thursday night: “Maybe there is an honest explanation for what (Burr) did. If there is, he should share it with the rest of us immediately. Otherwise, he must resign from the Senate and face prosecution for insider trading.”
... ... ...
Olivier5

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2020 09:36 am
@maporsche,
You mentioned no specific action or policy, and you are obsessed by his supporters.

Take it easy too. Now is not the time to feel sick about them silly progressive policies, such as giving priority to public health.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2020 09:41 am
@Walter Hinteler,
One has to wonder if they didn't downplay the whole thing just so they could sell off before the crowd...
revelette3

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2020 09:56 am
@Olivier5,
When Sander first started to run for the presidency back in 2015 he did so by inferring the established democrats, long time democrats, are beholden to special interest groups. Right away he brought a divide in the democrat effort to place a Democrat in the WH over a Republican which benefited Republicans. While mentioning the problems and some of his solutions, some of which were agreeable, some not every democrat liked, he always had to get in something about "establishment Democrats." When his supporters started to flock to his rallies, they came away with that attitude of basically bad democrats vs. pure democrats.

Thus the long division started and only gotten worse as time went on. The election of 2018 should have alerted some of those purist folks that not all Democrats were on board with the whole Bernie thing as the candidates who did the best were so-called moderates. Although Bernie shares some of the blame for the divisive tactics of his Bernie bros and purist test, the whole movement in the way they carried out the movement is what was divisive.

Like others have said, Bernie deserves a lot of credit for forcing democrats in congress to remember who we are and fight to go more to the left than we had been in previous years.

Edit: by the way, there is more than one way to skin a cat. Just because we don't agree with Bernie's plans which are way too much put all together doesn't mean we don't care about health care and it is a cheap shot on your part to infer otherwise.
revelette3

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2020 10:05 am
@Olivier5,
No, it was just more covering for Trump who seemed to take the whole coronavirus personally. He worried about his election more than the virus itself and the GOP at first went along with it, until it started to spread all over the globe. At least that is what I think.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2020 10:16 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Reuters report: Republican senators dumped stock before coronavirus market crash
Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Two Republican senators faced calls to resign on Friday over media reports that they sold substantial amounts of stock ahead of the global coronavirus-induced market meltdown after receiving private briefings on the outbreak.
[...]
Tucker Carlson, a conservative Fox News commentator, told his viewers on Thursday night: “Maybe there is an honest explanation for what (Burr) did. If there is, he should share it with the rest of us immediately. Otherwise, he must resign from the Senate and face prosecution for insider trading.”
... ... ...

Well, that kinda shoots down the misguided notion, recently expressed in this forum, that Fox reports selectively and selectively condemns members of only one party, eh, Walt?

Too bad the rest can't say the same.

Fox initially reported on only one (republican) senator. When it was later discovered that Finestein, and other republicans, had acted similarly, they "updated" their reporting.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2020 10:16 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Quote:
[...]
... ... ...

Well, that kinda shoots down the misguided notion, recently expressed in this forum, that Fox reports selectively and selectively condemns members of one party, eh?

Too bad the rest can't say the same.
layman

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2020 10:37 am
@layman,
For the record, I tried twice to delete this unintentional double post, but it wouldn't let me.
0 Replies