MontereyJack

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2020 06:29 pm
@oralloy,
My nieces don't. You're clearly out of touch with the fact that college students today take Ubers and feel no need to drive.l
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2020 09:13 pm
@blatham,
So, third post re Fox and whether it might change due to virus pandemic
Quote:
Fox Business Benches Trish Regan After Outcry Over Coronavirus Comments
The host of “Trish Regan Primetime” told viewers this week that concerns about the coronavirus were “yet another attempt to impeach the president.”

The Fox Business anchor Trish Regan, whose on-air dismissal of the coronavirus as “another attempt to impeach the president” left her cable network facing a firestorm of criticism this week, has been removed from her prime-time slot for the foreseeable future, the network said on Friday.

Ms. Regan’s 8 p.m. program, “Trish Regan Primetime,” is “on hiatus until further notice,” Fox Business said in a statement. The network declined to say if Ms. Regan would continue to appear on its other programs, saying that its coverage plans for the coronavirus crisis remained in flux.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/business/media/trish-regan-fox-hiatus.html

Something is happening. I'll keep us posted.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2020 10:14 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
College students have drivers licenses

Many don't. I didn't. Several other folks I attended classes with, had no license.

Once more oralloy, you do not know what is going on in the world.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 02:29 am
@Brand X,
It's interesting — the Republican governor postponed it for so long that it's likely the votes won't even be counted — June 20th. Now they have to hope the
DNC will adjust the rules for them.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 03:23 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
I also thought Hillary was, so maybe I'm just too optimistic?

You call it "wishful thinking" when I do it.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 04:51 am
Here's an exchange I had on February 4, following the Iowa caucuses five weeks ago. The results were described on these pages as a "debacle".
Quote:
Quote:
It shows how this snafu is going to really take a toll on the Democrats.

I think this snafu will be forgotten in a week.
Quote:

It completely illegitimizes the entire Democratic primary process to this point.

I don't think so — the Iowa caucus wasn't that highly regarded anyway. Once the actual primaries start everyone will see how unimportant the software glitch really was. The Sanders twitiverse might try to make an issue of it but paper and photographic backups should calm and reassure the rational voters.

I'll add that it wasn't even covfefe-19 that pushed the story out of the headlines, just the normal progression of news events. It's interesting to view these things in perspective.
blatham

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 05:25 am
@hightor,
Quote:
covfefe-19

My name is blatham and I approve this appellation.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 05:37 am
Buzzfeed has a good breakdown on the question, "might Trump cancel/delay the election?" HERE
revelette3

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 06:23 am
@blatham,
If I was Trump I would be hurrying to get tested; instead of worrying about the election. Three people so far have tested positive from that Mar-a-Lago event. This disease is no respecter of persons. Since Trump has been exposed to all these people, he should isolate himself just like anybody else.

I'm thinking the election should be postponed, all election events.
hightor

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 06:28 am
Although the Trumpenproletariat will never realize it, the country is damn fortunate to have a Democratic House under the lead of Pelosi right now. Can you imagine the relief bill the House Republicans would have drawn up? Bail outs for the oil, cruise, and hotel industries would have been prioritized. Other measures would have been delayed until past the point of effectiveness.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 06:30 am
On the face of it, this story looks like a ‘feel good’, but this story is more evidence of the private emergencies that happen constantly to the lowest paid among us that never get news time or emergency responses.

These well-meaning bandaids don’t provide the kind of help Americans need and deserve.

https://www.complex.com/sports/2020/03/nba-players-owners-pledge-arena-workers-coronavirus-nba-suspension

(Still sent a tweet of gratitude to 19 year old Zion)❤️✌🏽🔥🌹
blatham

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 06:47 am
@Lash,
The charitable impulse is what marks the best of us. The absence of this impulse is what marks the worst.
Lash

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 06:57 am
@blatham,
The assertion that allowing a lot of poorer families to die off is merely the lack of charitable instinct is the primary divide between progressives and Centrists.

It is murder. It is intentional. Trillions can be 'found' by the bureaucratic class who've countermanded our government to serve the desires of their billionaire paymasters, but no MedicareForAll for you, they say. "I'll veto M4A," Biden says.

This country is no longer organized for survival for a wide swath of working families.

I don't want people to win the lottery and luck up through the benevolence of a disgustingly wealthy oligarch, spending pocket money for PR (and I definitely do not place Zion in that group). The economy and our healthcare institutions should serve the populace humanely, without miracles.

Lash

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 06:59 am
Why save people from coronavirus and let them die of cancer, hypertension, and diabetes next month?

Dead is dead.
Olivier5

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 07:02 am
@hightor,
Yes, the virus and Super Tuesday pushed it under the media rug but it remains a liability that the Trump campaign might exploit later.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 07:07 am
@Lash,
It depends on how well the mitigation is working, northern Italy has been deciding who's going to live and who's going to die for over a week because medical facilities/equipment supplies were overwhelmed. The scary thing is their healthcare system is as modern as ours. So there is a point where all systems will fail if the curve isn't flattened enough.
Lash

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 07:12 am
@Brand X,
I'm worried that some 'American complication' is going to be uncovered. Italians are much healthier than we are. We're full of poisons and chemicals that their government rejects.

Hope I'm wrong, but I expect our mortality percentages may be higher than theirs due to this, our substandard healthcare, and the gross inability of most Americans to access our substandard healthcare system.

I hope those flying high with enough money to have been able to have regular doctor visits and maintain a reasonable standard of care know that the people teaching their children, driving them around, preparing and serving their food---have not enjoyed that lifestyle.

Bon appetit!!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 07:18 am
maporsche

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 07:55 am
@Lash,
I loved that movie when I was 18 and it came out.

If only Chuck Palahniuk had known how poorly it would have aged when things like the internet really took off and online gaming and twitter/facebook became things.

The odds of a violent revolution happening in America are far less than Bernie winning this primary.

Why actually try to fight someone or, you know, actually VOTE when I can just talk tough online and put a rose next to my twitter name. #action

I was also dumb enough to believe Tyler Durden was the good guy of that story.
hightor

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 08:53 am
Quote:
It is murder. It is intentional. Trillions can be 'found' by the bureaucratic class who've countermanded our government to serve the desires of their billionaire paymasters, but no MedicareForAll for you, they say.

It's no more intentional murder than the ingrained habits of an unhealthy lifestyle and a lousy diet constitute suicide. There is no "bureaucratic class".
Quote:
"I'll veto M4A," Biden says.

So what? It's not the only prospective arrow in the quiver. It represents too big a change to be instituted all at once, but thanks to the effects of the progressive tendency within the Democratic Party single payer and other alternative approaches to health insurance are now pretty widely embraced and would be reflected in the reforms to the ACA which would be among the first acts of a new administration.

It will be interesting to see how USAmerican's views on healthcare are affected by the experience of the pandemic. It might represent a real opportunity to improve access to coverage for the presently uninsured.