blatham

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 06:20 am
If you tilt your head just so, and cup your hands behind your ears, you can begin to make out what dem voters are thinking
Quote:
Democrats smell blood in Texas after sky-high primary turnout

The party is targeting another half-dozen House seats in the Lone Star State.
Politico
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 07:04 am
David Corn
@DavidCornDC
· 19h
.@berniesanders is giving @JoeBiden questions in advance of the Sunday debate so Biden knows what he has to address to get Bernie and his voters on his side. This is a very smart and mature statement. Good for him!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 07:12 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
I can't help wondering if Trump's suspension of flights from the European Union is an attempt to weaken the EU economically. Why is the UK exempt? He originally planned to ban freight imports as well.
I posted that on the other thread

Walter Hinteler wrote:

Ireland and Britain aren’t part of Trump’s coronavirus travel ban. This is why.
Quote:
In a speech Wednesday, President Trump announced a ban on travelers from Europe. This led to a lot of initial confusion over what Trump meant by “Europe,” and whether trade in goods was banned too (Trump said it was, but the White House quickly clarified that this was not the case). Trump also said that the United Kingdom would be exempted from the ban, prompting a lot of speculation as to what exactly was going on. It turns out that the ban — and the exception for the United Kingdom — is not quite as arbitrary as it sounds. Trump’s ban extends to countries in what’s known as the “Schengen area,” a region that includes most states that are members of the European Union (as well as Norway, Iceland and Switzerland). The Schengen area does not include the U.K. nor Ireland.
[...]
Trump, in his speech, blamed Europe [sic!] for not being careful enough in introducing restrictions, saying that viral clusters in the United States have been “seeded by travel from Europe.” The rationale for the ban appears to be that border-free travel will allow the contagion to spread throughout the Schengen area, and then jump to other countries such as the United States.

Why then are some Schengen states restricting travel from other Schengen states, and why is Trump imposing a general ban on foreign nationals who have been in the Schengen area? One plausible explanation might be that travel bans send a highly visible signal to voters that the government is doing something to stop the spread. That might be particularly politically important in the United States, where the government has not yet been able to test citizens for the novel coronavirus in significant numbers, let alone introduce significant targeted measures to halt the spread of the virus that causes the disease covid-19.

Though many Schengen area states are likely to be very angry at Trump’s decision, the willingness of some of their fellow Schengen members to impose similar restrictions will make it hard for them to respond in an unified way. It will be particularly interesting to see whether states such as Austria and Hungary denounce the U.S. ban or seek an exemption on the basis that they are imposing restrictions, and whether Ireland will refer to the ban on its fellow E.U. member states in the prime minister’s meeting with Trump on Thursday.

What really makes me wonder is that Trump obviously doesn't care about the infection rate and the minimal testing in the UK (even most of those returning from Italy/South Tyrol aren't tested). (> Number of people being tested falls amid growing anger at 'complacent' government response)

So it was IMO (at least when started) an open attempt to weaken the EU economically.
hightor

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 07:29 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Thank you!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 08:31 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Great piece, Walter. But it is the anti-immigrant aspect noted in the second last graph that caught my attention. It was reported yesterday that Stephen Miller (along with Kushner) wrote the speech. Miller also worked on Trump's wackadoodle inauguration speech and is leading the US response at the southern border. He has well reported ties to white supremacist group/white nationalist groups. It seems he was instrumental in Trump's declaration of a "national emergency" last year re the southern border (of course, no national emergency has yet been declared re the coronoavirus).

So do you guys see this as a continuation of the Brexit, Bannon, Farage, Boris, Miller ideology? (And I suppose we ought to include Putin in there as well)

Edit: as I noted last week, Trump et al were demagoguing those arriving via the southern border but not the northern border even while infections in Canada were greater than south of the US border. My supposition is that these guys have the belief that this specific type of propaganda brings out a response in their targeted audience which directs anger that can be politically beneficial and which directs attention elsewhere than upon their own failures in this mess.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 08:57 am
@blatham,
1 Blame the Chinese,
2 Blame the EU
3 Blame the Democrats

That should make America great again.
blatham

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 09:15 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Right on! I'm tired of it. I'm going to start paying them back for what they done. I'm going to go to China and start a corner store!!
0 Replies

layman

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 09:16 am
Jimmy Accosta, one of CNN's grandstanding resident blowhards, had this to say:

Quote:
Acosta then said Trump is "going to come across to a lot of Americans as smacking of xenophobia" too because he said the coronavirus came from a foreign source.

Nice try, Jimmy-boy:

Quote:
Town Hall senior writer Julio Rosas captured the clip of Acosta and shared in on Twitter, where many users accused the CNN reporter of hypocrisy. Some critics were quick to point out that Acosta and CNN have both frequently reported that the coronavirus started in Wuhan, China.

And they try to say that Trump is trying to make a political thing out of the virus, eh?

0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 09:22 am
Disneyland is still open. We're going to find out real soon just how greedy that corporation is - if we didn't already know.
blatham

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 09:25 am
On monday, basketball player Rudy Gobert touched a bunch if microphones, joking with media about the virus. Yesterday he tested positive.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 09:43 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
1 Blame the Chinese,

The virus originated there.
Quote:
2 Blame the EU

They did nothing about travel, now look at the infected in Europe. Blame needs to be put where it belongs. You people have so much trouble placing blame where it belongs. That is one of the reasons Islam is shitting all over you.
Quote:
3 Blame the Democrats

They are trying to blame Trump whose early travel restrictions made a huge difference in the number of cases in the US. Same old for the party of excuses.
Lash

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 10:11 am
@hightor,
OIC.

When the Republicans close polling places, it’s malevolent. When the democrats do it, it didn’t happen.

Remember that.
Lash

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 10:13 am
@hightor,
No, they didn’t lose me. I’m an independent. I just voted in their primary a few times like a lot of liberal independents.

They are losing lifelong Democrats.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 10:25 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:
Quote:
2 Blame the EU

They did nothing about travel, now look at the infected in Europe. Blame needs to be put where it belongs. You people have so much trouble placing blame where it belongs.
The US president restricted travel from the Schengen zone, which does not include Britain or Ireland,but includes non-EU countries.
The ban does not apply to American citizens or legal permanent residents of the US and their close family members who travel from the Schengen countries to the USA.

Immunity by nationality?

0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 10:31 am
@Lash,
Returning to your republican beginnings?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 10:43 am
@Lash,
Quote:
I’m an independent.
Same registration as Sean Hannity. How can we not respect such iron-willed independence of mind.
hightor

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 10:43 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Remember that.

Remember what? You said the "DNC", not the state governments which actually have the authority in the matter.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 10:50 am
Quote:
Josh Marshall
@joshtpm
· 23m
Trump claims (falsely) all Americans returning to country are being tested:"We have heavily tested. If an American coming back or anybody coming back, we have a tremendous testing set up where people coming in have to be tested ... if it shows positive ... We have to quarantine."

This is not true. This is disinformation of the worst sort. At a time of real crisis.
blatham

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 10:54 am
Sen. Tom Cotton release this morning: "We will emerge stronger from this challenge, we will hold accountable those who inflicted it on the world."
Nuke the pangolins!

Of course, this psychotic dipshit is echoing an utterly insane conspiracy theory (bio-warfare from China).
coldjoint

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 10:54 am
@blatham,
Quote:
This is not true.

You can say that. I see no proof. You saying so means nothing.
0 Replies