blatham

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 03:12 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Like Bush, you mean?

Very little to do with economics. Far more to do with the capture of the Supreme Court by an extremist right wing ideology and the growth of a separate right wing media universe dedicated to forwarding the GOP's electoral chances.

But that's all I'll say due to an abundance of humility.
Brand X

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 03:17 am
@Olivier5,
Caitlin Johnstone ⏳
@caitoz
·
19h
'Elections are like the unplugged video game controller you hand your little brother so you don’t let him have a turn playing. The goal was never to “win”; it was to get more people to wake up to the fact that they’ve been handed an unplugged controller'
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 03:20 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
the capture of the Supreme Court by an extremist right wing ideology

You know you're hearing a progressive talk when "upholding the Constitution" is described as an extremist ideology.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 03:54 am
The buzz about Biden probably (up from possibly) selecting Kamala (pronounced ‘CAH -meh - lah’ )Harris as his VEEP is stronger than ever. But I better not mention it because someone of great wisdom and also expertise at A2K etiquette has advised me it’s not relevant on this thread or even on this forum. So never mind.
blatham

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 03:57 am
@snood,
OK. Advisory noted: no mention of increased buzz re Kamala Harris as Biden choice for BP.
Everyone got that?
No mention of KH as JB nominee.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 04:05 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Note that Warren didn't fly either, so here goes your advice.

Sanders and Warren are ideologically similar but not politically equivalent.
Quote:
And now of course you have buyer's remorse and you wish that Sanders' ideas would somehow stick, right after you gave them the boot in the ballot box...

No, Olivier, I don't have "buyer's remorse." I never thought Sanders could win and I didn't believe, if by some miracle he got in, that he'd be able to accomplish much — if any — of his agenda. I do think that the ideas that the progressive tendency within the Democratic Party brought to the table will begin to be enacted in an incremental fashion over the next few election cycles — if Trump is defeated.
Quote:
It's a missed opportunity.

A missed opportunity to lose to Trump? The changes Sanders proposes would require the overwhelming support of the electorate and a complete takeover of the House and Senate. There is not the remotest indication that such an electoral result is possible.
Quote:
Washington will remain fucked up for the foreseeable future.

Of course it will. Just like every other nation state. But it will be fucked up in more manageable ways.
Quote:
Even if Biden wins, it's not going to change much.

Re-entering the Paris Accord, preventing more conservative justices from being seated, and not having to see Republican politicians bowing and scraping to the MAGAsaurus would be more than enough. And it would be great to see KH as JB's VP.
blatham

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 04:13 am
@hightor,
Last sentence just killed me.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 04:21 am
You guys are the best.😂
Lash

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 04:58 am
Biden has deteriorated to such a degree that Carville and Clyburn are publicly pushing for the DNC to step in, stop the nominating process, stop plans for Biden to stand up and answer questions in a debate.

Biden will be chewed up by trump.
Biden is completely incapable of performing any job—most certainly that of president.
The DNC closed polling places around colleges and in poorer neighborhoods.

A good portion of voters will never vote for Biden.
Biden will not be elected.

It is suspected that the democrat establishment is well aware that Biden will barely get to the convention—if his handlers can keep him out of the media spotlight until then. It is further expected that the DNC will pull a bait and switch at the convention.

The DNC missed an incredible opportunity to get behind the guy who had the popular people-centric plans and generated excitement—to do the things they do for candidates they support. They could’ve won—could’ve found millions of new donors—could’ve invigorated new blood toward their principles (if those principles were Bernie’s)

Instead, their internal division is permanent. They lost the best of their party—the progressive voters, activists.

A new party is emerging. I may not live to see it strong enough to begin winning, but it will replace the D party. The Ds will go on to join Rs, where they belong.

Trump will win. Thanks, Democrats!

oralloy

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 05:07 am
@Lash,
So it goes.

Trump was going to win no matter who the Democrats nominate. But at least now progressives can argue that Trump's victory was because the Democrats didn't nominate a leftist extremist, and will push the Democrats to nominate a total whacko in 2024.

If a new party replaces the Democrats, I hope that new party argues their values instead of conducting witch hunts against people who disagree with them.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 05:11 am
Krystal breaks down #NeverBiden ethos

https://youtu.be/SGhCxQLd6nk
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 05:23 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Sanders and Warren are ideologically similar but not politically equivalent.

Why yes. Wareen followed your advice (so to speak) of pitching her campaign as "we're going to begin to get rid of the economic system that gave us Trump", and we saw where that led her.

Quote:
I do think that the ideas that the progressive tendency within the Democratic Party brought to the table will begin to be enacted in an incremental fashion over the next few election cycles — if Trump is defeated.

Let's hope you're right... No need to insult the future after all.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 05:31 am
@Lash,
The trouble is that more people voted against Sanders. Damn those pesky voters!
Quote:
The DNC closed polling places around colleges and in poorer neighborhoods.

The DNC doesn't have that sort of power, even though you and Baldimo, rather touchingly, seem to see it as some grand malevolent force.
Quote:
A good portion of voters will never vote for Biden.

Yes. They're called "Trump supporters".
Quote:
It is further expected that the DNC will pull a bait and switch at the convention

Speaking of bait and switch I notice you moved from "suspected" to "expected" with breathtaking alacrity. I look forward to seeing the Biden hologram in the Oval Office!
Quote:

The DNC missed an incredible opportunity to get behind the guy who had the popular people-centric plans and generated excitement—to do the things they do for candidates they support.

A guy who loses to Biden???
Quote:
They lost the best of their party—the progressive voters, activists.

It was a terrible sacrifice but if they lost you it was worth it.
Quote:
A new party is emerging.

Yeah, the Corona Party. Stay tuned.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 05:39 am
@snood,
You guys don't need much to keep you happy, I'll give you that... You will have to excuse me for expressing some gloom during your merriment. On my side of the pound the Twitter feed looks more like this:
#coronavirus
#COVID19
#CoronavirusPandemic
#Covid_19
#CoronaVirusUpdate
#pandemia
blatham

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 05:46 am
@Lash,
Golly. How surprising you'd write something like that. Quite unlike you. I don't think anyone predicted such a thing.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 05:46 am
@Lash,
Millions of people voted for Trump knowing what he is and millions will vote for Biden knowing what he is, and knowing that Trump can illustrate that Biden smells just as bad as he does. It's not really about policies or who is most electable, it will be about removing Trump, and that's why I will be voting for the Dem nominee.

0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 05:48 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
You guys don't need much to keep you happy, I'll give you that... You will have to excuse me for expressing some gloom during your merriment. On my side of the pound the Twitter feed looks more like this:
#coronavirus
#COVID19
#CoronavirusPandemic
#Covid_19
#CoronaVirusUpdate
#pandemia

Well, I had a brief thought of writing about the virus spread but I've been having such a delightful time here that I just never got around to it.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 05:57 am
I just want to point out another neoliberal DNC shill who deserves to be chopped into disgusting little bits with any of the new DeWalt brushless power saws

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ES56b5QWkAAkaG3?format=jpg&name=large

hightor

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 05:59 am
@Olivier5,
You left out #COVFEFE-19.

I can't help wondering if Trump's suspension of flights from the European Union is an attempt to weaken the EU economically. Why is the UK exempt? He originally planned to ban freight imports as well.

I couldn't have imagined the financial fallout that we've witnessed over the past two weeks.

You know, we could have been better prepared for this event. But, for once, I'm not blaming politicians, other than criticizing the current administration for cutting emergency response funds. We could be better prepared for all sorts of events that haven't shown up yet. But it's not in our DNA. We're not good at long range planning and proactive measures. (It would mean higher taxes.) Our specialty is reacting to what's in our current field of vision. It usually works. This time it will be costly.
blatham

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 06:12 am
I have to admit I'm sleeping a lot right now. Not like one big long sleep but a relatively long one at night and as many smaller sleeps as I can manage through the day. I think if I increase sleeps like this then the chances increase that after one of them, this nightmare will have disappeared.
0 Replies