Lash

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 10:56 am
https://peoplesparty.org/our-plan/
layman

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 11:05 am
@Lash,
It wouldn't surprise me if a 3rd party does ultimately emerge from the Democrat fiasco goin down.

Maybe they'll call themselves the Proletarian Party, eh?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 11:07 am
@Lash,
If this new party argues for their issues instead of abusing the law to conduct witch hunts against people who disagree with them, it would be great if they replaced the Democratic Party in our two-party system.
0 Replies

revelette3

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 11:16 am
Trump will corrupt everything in sight to beat Biden. Here’s what’s next.
layman

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 11:18 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

The role for progessives now is to continue to work towards their goals within the parameters of the Dem coalition.

Dragging the entire party further and further to the left might be a good strategy in banana republics or with the feebs in Europe.

But it will never be a winning proposition in the good old US of A.

Homey don't play dat.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 11:24 am
@revelette3,
Quote:
Trump will corrupt everything in sight to beat Biden. Here’s what’s next.

The WP lies as much, or more, than the NYT. Neither paper is credible when it comes to politics. Their coverage and opinions are meant to increase the hate for Trump and the Americans that support him. That is not what journalists are supposed to do. They are both tabloid news and belong displayed in the check- out line in the supermarket.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 11:29 am
@Lash,

Quote:
In 1944, FDR proposed an Economic Bill of Rights guaranteeing employment, food, clothing, leisure, a living wage, housing, health care, social security, [and] education...

I don't think that's quite enough free **** to get my vote. Could ya like maybe throw in a Mercedes Benz?
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 12:18 pm
Ryan Nobles
@ryanobles
· 1h
NEW: A source with direct knowledge of @BernieSanders plans tells @CNN at his 1p press event, Sanders is expected to say he is staying in the race and looks forward to a debate w/ @JoeBiden.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 01:03 pm
@Brand X,
From the transcript of Sanders’s speech about staying in the race, questions he plans to ask Biden
Quote:
On Sunday, I very much look forward to the debate in Arizona with my friend, Joe Biden. And let me be very frank as to the questions that I will be asking Joe.

Joe, what are you going to do for the 500,000 people who will go bankrupt in our country because of medically related debt? And what are you going to do for the working people of this country and small businesspeople who are paying on average 20 percent of their incomes for health care?

Joe, what are you going to do to end the absurdity of the United States of America being the only major country on earth where health care is not a human right? Are you really going to veto a Medicare for all bill, if it is passed in Congress?

Joe, how are you going to respond to the scientists who tell us we have seven or eight years remaining to transform our energy system before irreparable harm takes place to this planet because of the ravages of climate change?

Joe, at a time when most young people need a higher education to make it into the middle class, what are you going to do to make sure that all of our people can go to college or trade school, regardless of their income? And what are you going to do about the millions of people who are struggling with outrageous levels of student debt?

Joe, at a time when we have more people in jail than communist China, a nation four times our size, what are you going to do to end mass incarceration and a racist criminal justice system? And what are you going to do to end the terror that millions of undocumented people experience right now because of our broken and inhumane immigration system?

Joe, what are you going to do about the fact that we have the highest rate of childhood poverty of almost any major country on Earth and are living with the fact that 500,000 people tonight are homeless and 18 million families are spending half of their income to put a roof over their heads?

Joe, importantly, what are you going to do to end the absurdity of billionaires buying elections and the three wealthiest people in America owning more wealth than the bottom half of our people?
Olivier5

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 01:22 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
They’re frightened, they’re demoralized, there’s a malaise. People can’t take one more day of this. The coronavirus has driven home just how much danger we’re in with this individual in the White House. Asking people to do two things—get rid of Trump, and get rid of the economic system that gave us Trump—was too much to do. People are like, “Please just get rid of Trump. Please.”

--- Michael Moore on MSNBC.
oralloy

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 01:28 pm
@Olivier5,
Like I said, Michael Moore is a buffoon who spouts blatant falsehoods. He is no one to take seriously.
hightor

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 02:08 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
If Biden wins, a backslash against leftists and their agenda is in the cards for the democratic party.

If anything, the party will begin to work on translating Sanders's uncompromising, unyielding ideological purity into a more pragmatic scheme to improve health care coverage, address the climate crisis, find a solution to the college debt problem, and a host of other things. But the first order of business is to evict Trump and begin to undo the considerable damage he's done to our political institutions. As Michael Moore seems to have recently discovered,
Quote:
Getting rid of Trump and the system at the same time is probably too much to ask.

Rank and file Democrats understood this from the beginning and didn't see a realistic way for Sanders to put his policies in place. But we'll see these issues emerging as standard fare for Democratic lawmakers if Biden manages to win and bring the House and Senate along. That's always been the history of progressivism in this country. The ideas which first sound far-fetched become more and more acceptable over the next few election cycles.
maporsche

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 02:09 pm
@Olivier5,
I don't agree.
Look at Biden's platform (which will be modified to reflect the Democratic platform which will be created for the convention); it's ALREADY been modified heavily by leftists and it will be modified even more before June/July.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 02:24 pm
Quote:
(...)

Strictly speaking, the Democratic race isn’t over. But even if he fights to the convention, it’s hard to see how Sanders could win a majority. All signs point to a decisive victory for Biden.

What comes next? A world where Biden wins the nomination and then the presidency — which is well in the realm of possibility — feels like one where the Democratic establishment has successfully marginalized the progressive left, where supporters of Sanders have no future in electoral politics. Some of those supporters might even drop off the map in apathy and despair.

There is another possibility, though. It’s not as viscerally thrilling as an outright win — few things are. But if the goal is to move America to the left — to craft and pass policies that help ordinary people — then a Biden candidacy isn’t the end of the game. He represents an opportunity. You can see what this might look like in Virginia, where the Democratic majority in the General Assembly just finished its legislative session.

(...)

nyt/bouie
coldjoint

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 03:26 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Michael Moore. He is no one to take seriously.

Unless he is staring at your dessert.
oralloy

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 03:40 pm
@coldjoint,
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 03:44 pm
@hightor,
nyt/bouie wrote:
Strictly speaking, the Democratic race isn't over. But even if he fights to the convention, it's hard to see how Sanders could win a majority. All signs point to a decisive victory for Biden.

I suspect that Mr. Sanders means to ensure that he is the only possible fallback choice if Mr. Biden's mind completely fails a few months from now.
snood

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 03:49 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

nyt/bouie wrote:
Strictly speaking, the Democratic race isn't over. But even if he fights to the convention, it's hard to see how Sanders could win a majority. All signs point to a decisive victory for Biden.

I suspect that Mr. Sanders means to ensure that he is the only possible fallback choice if Mr. Biden's mind completely fails a few months from now.

I suppose you think Trump’s mind is sharp as a tack.
oralloy

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 04:04 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
I suppose you think Trump's mind is sharp as a tack.

I've not given it any consideration. All I care about is that he prevents progressives from violating everyone's civil liberties.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 05:09 pm
@hightor,
The exact quote is:
Quote:
Asking people to do two things—get rid of Trump, and get rid of the economic system that gave us Trump—was too much to do.