maporsche

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 07:17 am
@Brand X,
Pelosi wasn’t wrong. The squad is 4 votes. If their ideas as so great that they get more of America on board, then welcome to a seat at the table.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 07:17 am
@Brand X,
Brand X wrote:

So you didn't hear what Pelosi said about her and The Squad?

Jeez, man are you referring to a year ago, when she referred to the squad as only a small part of the caucus? Her and AOC publicly buried the hatchet a dozen times since then. Not buried enough for you, I guess.
blatham

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 07:31 am
@snood,
Indeed, I see these two women as similar in many more respects than how they differ. AOC clearly has the common sense to learn from Pelosi the necessary lessons on productive leadership.

Edit: should add, her biggest problem will be an American problem - misogyny.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 07:37 am
Wonder if Tulsi Gabbard will continue her heroic and principled quest for a job at Fox.
snood

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 07:55 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Wonder if Tulsi Gabbard will continue her heroic and principled quest for a job at Fox.

Lol
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 08:19 am
Paul Waldman and Greg Sargent who write the WP's Plumline Blog don't work out of the WP offices but rather have always worked at home.
Quote:
Paul Waldman
@paulwaldman1
57m
Sitting here in my home office like "You people are amateurs. I've been 'social distancing' for years" while I prepare for a staff meeting with my dogs and touch my face like a boss
0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 08:44 am
Like, whooda thunk, eh?:

Quote:
Mainstream media ignore report of Joe Biden's brother facing fraud allegations

A new report revealed legal problems and allegations of possible fraud involving Joe Biden's brother, James, on Monday – but anyone who relies on the mainstream media would have no idea.

CNN and MSNBC completely ignored the story on air through Tuesday afternoon. ABC, NBC and CBS skipped the story on their evening and morning newscasts, too.

James Biden reportedly convinced Americore that he could use his political clout to deliver a significant influx of cash in the form of an investment from the Middle East and even convinced the company to take on financial burdens including a six-figure loan to James that he has yet to repay.

James Biden is the latest member of the Biden family whose business ventures have surfaced as Joe Biden progresses towards possibly becoming the Democratic presidential nominee.

Media manipulation is often best illustrated by what is NOT reported.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 08:56 am
@blatham,
If Biden wins, a backslash against leftists and their agenda is in the cards for the democratic party.
blatham

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 09:09 am
@Olivier5,
From where you get this idea, not to mention to hold it with certainty, I do not know. It makes no sense electorally. It makes no sense organizationally.

I gather you are presuming that the gravitational pull of big corporate money will inexorably draw any Dem administration to the right. No question that force will be in play as it always is. But assuming that a Sanders administration would have the actual, real world capacity to successfully fend off this force better than a Biden administration (as it will be constructed now) strikes me as naive.

Further, though the presidency is very important, what is also critical now is advances down ballot at the state level. Dems made a LOT of progress here in the midterms because of passionate Dem voter turnout - which is perhaps the most salient aspect of this primary season. Biden is not damaging that trend at all, he's improving it.

And in any case, what the Dem party will do ought to be, for the most part, established by a consensus of Dem voters. The left must do a better job of making their case.
blatham

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 09:17 am
Quote:
Matthew Yglesias
@mattyglesias
45m
Biden needs to make major concessions to the left to unify the party. Should consider:

— large minimum wage increase
— major expansion of government run health programs
— multi-trillion investment in zero carbon energy
— ban right to work laws

Matt is far from alone in this view and he is by no means a Sanders man. The role for progessives now is to continue to work towards their goals within the parameters of the Dem coalition. The dream of 'revolution' in some sudden and immediate sense has proved too unpopular.
layman

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 09:19 am
Burnie has announced that he will concede the nomination to Biden if Joe gets more votes than him, even if Biden doesn't have the necessary majority.

And why not? At that point he will have achieved what he set out to do, i.e., raise a lot of campaign contributions which he can rip off to enhance his status as a multi-millionaire.

He doesn't really even want the job. That would entail work.

Anyone ever notice that Burnie bears an uncanny resemblance to the old Red Skelton character, "Freddy the Freeloader?"

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQ-aAOjLnkqCVpUFSUim3fEaI5IEiS5M_JKy09F4ZDxMQ0G6Oqr

0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 09:22 am
Quote:
Jonathan Cohn
@CitizenCohn
27m
Over the weekend, at Sanders rallies in Michigan, I asked supporters whether they’d vote for Biden if he were nominee. Nearly all said yes.

Many made clear they would do so with disdain and a few had to think about it. But they said they wanted Trump out of the White House.

I'm hardly surprised. Most people aren't stupid enough to conclude that the DNC or the "Dem establishment" are the real enemies here - even if trolls have pushed this notion. Those trolls will continue the campaign because they are trolls. But they are insignificant as an actual portion of the voting base.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 09:54 am
@blatham,
Quote:
assuming that a Sanders administration would have the actual, real world capacity to successfully fend off this force better than a Biden administration (as it will be constructed now) strikes me as naive.

What strikes me as naive is to assume Biden will even try.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 10:06 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
There are a lot (a LOT) of scumbags in the GOP but this guy rates very high on the scumbag meter
@AriFleischer wrote:
· Feb 4
Bye-bye Biden. He's not coming back from this. SC won't rescue him. His candidacy had been like a paper draw. It's dissolving before our eyes. https://twitter.com/merica/status/1224819734014779392

Iowa was a bit early for such a prediction. But New Hampshire has a very solid history of the eventual nominee always being in the top two. If Biden does win the nomination, this will upend quite a bit of history.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 10:07 am
@layman,
layman wrote:
Once again proving that the Democrats didn't learn a damn thing from the 2016 shellacking. AOC? Smart? Heh.
The cheese-eaters just cannot even contemplate the possibly that their extremist ideology is not universally accepted.

It is the nature of a party that faces an extended period out of power to resort to weirdo extremism. The Republicans are going to hold the White House for at least the next 17 years, so the leftist freak show is just getting started.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 10:10 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Michael Moore is one the smartest political minds in America. You'd see it if you had a clue.

Come on now. Michael Moore is a buffoon who spouts blatant falsehoods to the cheers of other buffoons. He is no one to take seriously.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 10:11 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
maporsche wrote:
I think the "what misogyny?" line of thinking has been thoroughly debunked by now.

Well, maybe for some people; maybe even for most people. But some people are blind to their own misogyny, and that kind of bunk is hard to "de".

You guys are being silly. Falsely accusing everyone of misogyny is just as goofy as falsely accusing everyone of racism.
oralloy

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 10:13 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
That's not very realistic I'm afraid. These ideas just got beaten in the ballot box.

When Mr. Trump defeats Mr. Biden in November, I advise the Democrats to conclude that their loss was because Biden was not a leftist extremist.

Then I advise the Democrats to push hard in 2024 to nominate the weirdest left-wing extremist that they can find.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
0 Replies

revelette3

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 10:20 am
@blatham,
Quote:
Matthew Yglesias
@mattyglesias
45m
Biden needs to make major concessions to the left to unify the party. Should consider:

— large minimum wage increase
— major expansion of government run health programs
— multi-trillion investment in zero carbon energy
— ban right to work laws

I can easily get on board with any and all those items listed.

Quote:
Matt is far from alone in this view and he is by no means a Sanders man. The role for progessives now is to continue to work towards their goals within the parameters of the Dem coalition. The dream of 'revolution' in some sudden and immediate sense has proved too unpopular.

True
0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 10:35 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
You guys are being silly. Falsely accusing everyone of misogyny is just as goofy as falsely accusing everyone of racism.

https://media.timesfreepress.com/img/photos/2016/11/30/161201fpmccoy8203805787.jpg
0 Replies