revelette3

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 11:55 am
@oralloy,
Because he has such a one-track mind, with only his agenda, I can't see him coming up with other solutions and/or compromising. If he did get all his huge agenda passed, I wouldn't want it passed. The country would go broke plus it is just too huge for one man to think up by himself and put into action with his government.
revelette3

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 11:59 am
@oralloy,
I am not sure you would be safe voting by mail. From what I read, it gets passed by someone sneezing or coughing on surfaces that others pick up or put their hands or another part of their body on that they might have sneezed or coughed on. What if your mail person has it and does not isolate themselves or wear an effective mask to keep those wet particles (forgot the name for that) from coming to a surface for others to pick up? Apparently, it doesn't flow through the air from what I read.

Makes you think twice about handling anything delivered or on the shelves...you know the same way you get regular colds is the same you get this virus.
hightor

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 12:20 pm
@Lash,
If you actually had read my comment you'd have seen that I didn't reject the concept of universal health care. I said there were many ways of putting it into practice. And while we're working on that there are other things we can do as well, such as encouraging healthy behavior on the part of individuals and discouraging the promotion of unhealthy practices by corporations seeking to maximize profits.
Quote:
That’s like the Welfare Queen argument against Food Stamps.

Not an apt comparison at all. And I don't think Ronald Reagan ever attacked the sugar lobby.
Quote:
People deserve healthcare!

That's a weak, emotional argument. It would be better to offer practical and affordable proposals that have some chance of being enacted.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 12:43 pm
https://grrrgraphics.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/bernie_the_communist-1536x1115.jpg
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 01:44 pm
https://i0.wp.com/www.powerlineblog.com/ed-assets/2020/03/Screen-Shot-2020-02-29-at-10.33.24-AM.png?resize=600%2C447&ssl=1
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 02:08 pm
The Coronavirus Is Coming for Trump’s Presidency

Will a nationalist president be undone by his underreaction to a foreign threat?
coldjoint

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 02:21 pm
@blatham,
An opinion piece on Trump from the NYT is meaningless.
blatham

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 02:23 pm
Trump has created a big problem for himself. The cancellation of large events and the promotion of an awareness regarding social distance isn't to stop the spread of the virus but to slow it down so that the system is less susceptible to becoming overwhelmed. But by his administration's pretense that there's no big problem (even that there is a hoax in place) will increase the probability of exactly that happening. Because he is so intent on short term PR goals, he's just setting himself up (and everyone else) for a greater disaster.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 02:30 pm
Matt Stoller
@matthewstoller
·
3m
This is perfect. Biden accidentally lets slip Kamala is endorsing him, showing both that he is experiencing cognitive decline and that his newest endorser knows it. This is what the Democratic establishment and Democratic voters want.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 02:36 pm
I’m working in a Petri dish, but the district is just advocating hand washing and staying home when sick. Of course, per usual, teachers are buying disinfectant for door knobs and desk tops because that’s what teachers do.

We are not prepared.

Teachers who’ve had to burn off sick days due to giving birth are already asking other teachers to give them a few sick days so they don’t miss a paycheck...
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 02:41 pm
@Lash,
So those teachers are sick? How can you get sick days from another person?
hightor

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 02:44 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
An opinion piece on Trump from the NYT is meaningless.

Your opinion of an opinion piece on Trump from the NYT is meaningless. Unlike you, the NYT columnist backs up his observations with examples and lays out a logically consistent argument. If you object to the way he presents his case and chooses his facts you should develop a coherent counter-argument and share it with us. But you can't.
Lash

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 02:44 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
We can donate sick days. The teachers aren’t sick yet, but they have newborns and small children in day care — and we know they WILL get sick. Kind teachers without small children at home are donating their sick days.

It’s really a wonderful thing — those days can be cashed in when you quit, retire, or leave the district.
blatham

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 02:46 pm
The FDA adminstrator announced today that there have been 5,861 corona virus tests done in the US so far.

Here in British Columbia alone, more than 2,000 have been done.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 02:53 pm
The first time I saw this happen was in a California school district. A woman was having a long battle with cancer, and a friend sent out a district-wide request for long-timers to donate days. The response was overwhelming. There are good people in the world, but teachers shouldn’t have to give up money they’ve earned to supplement the healthcare we should all get.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 02:53 pm
@hightor,
Quote:

Your opinion of an opinion piece on Trump from the NYT is meaningless.

That is your opinion and I do not see it as more valuable than mine. There is no doubt the NYT is extremely biased. End of story.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 03:01 pm
@Lash,
Very different to the situation here: you can only get (full paid) sick days when you are sick, for up to six months for the same illness. (If longer, you get a reduced "salary" from the health insurgence.)

Staying at home because of ill children is regulated here differently: each parent may take ten working days off per year to care for the sick child - this is how the legal entitlement is defined. Single parents are entitled to the total number, i.e. 20 days. If there are two children, the number of sick days is doubled. If there are more than two children, however, there is an upper limit: this is 25 days per parent and 50 days for single parents.
Depending on the collective labour agreement of your job, you get five days or more fully paid. - Those insured in the mandatory health insurance can get child care sick pay (70% of your salary) for up to six weeks.
Lash

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 03:04 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/08/17/opinions/teachers-sick-days-broken-system-durana/index.html

It’s a cesspool of murder in America, Walter.

On July 24, Florida high school teacher Robert Goodman posted a picture of himself during chemo treatment. Having run short on sick days, Goodman appealed to fellow school employees, who donated enough days for him to take a semester off and complete treatment.

Goodman's is one in a slew of stories about teachers and workers donating sick time or parental leave, a trend lauded earlier this summer by Good Morning America. But while it's heartwarming to see the extent to which teachers support each other, part of the reason that's true is that teachers have become so acutely economically vulnerable. As his students start school this week without him, lack of paid leave -- for personal sickness like Goodman's, the birth or adoption of a child, or to care for a loved one -- shows just how vulnerable teachers are, and how inhumane the system has become.
Lash

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 03:07 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
We have states where you cannot have unions. “Right to Work” is the law.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 03:12 pm
@Lash,
Parental leave is different to sick days here (you get three years paid parental leave in addition to the mandatory paid maternity leave after childbirth).