hightor

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 09:18 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Why don’t you want poor people to have healthcare?

Where I live, poor people have pretty good, affordable healthcare. What gives you the idea that I oppose it?
maporsche

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 09:25 am
@hightor,
It's the standard attack from all the Bernie-or-busters.

They pretend, like children, that Biden doesn't have a plan to give all poor people good affordable healthcare.

It's make believe, just like most all of Bernie's proposals.

Voters last Tuesday saw right through the bullshit though and overwhelmingly told us who's plan they support.

Their rebuttal to this is just as predictable...can you guess what it may be? They feel so smart after they say it too. It cute.

Too bad they just don’t care enough about poor people and healthcare to SHOW UP AT THE VOTING BOOTH.
blatham

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 09:32 am
Jesus. If you're on twitter and want to get an idea of what's likely about to happen with this virus over the next months, see this extended series of tweets. It's scary. https://twitter.com/LizSpecht/status/1236095187522215936

I really don't know how this administration is going to behave under such conditions if these projections are accurate. It would be tough for any administration (and will be for governments worldwide) but for this one... god knows. I've mentioned the possibility before of Trump moving to "postpone" the election. Don't discount this possibility.
blatham

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 09:39 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
It's the standard attack from all the Bernie-or-busters.
Yes, it is. And of course it's an either/or fallacy. Either Sanders or no insurance for the poor. Either Sanders or polluted drinking water. Etc. Which is not to mention the presumption that Sanders could solve such issues.
maporsche

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 09:53 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Which is not to mention the presumption that Sanders could solve such issues.

Which is quite the large presumption in and of itself, given the political environment and given his track record on building coalitions that would be required here.
Lash

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 09:55 am
@hightor,
You’re the spokesperson for poor people in your area, and they all have good healthcare. LOL. You’re a liar.
hightor

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 10:09 am
@Lash,
It was done under the provisions of Medicaid expansion in the ACA. Our former governor refused to implement it but it was among the first acts of our current governor, Janet Mills.
Quote:
LOL.

I don't consider it a laughing matter.

Interestingly, while the poor are covered there's a huge problem among the self-employed. A friend who's a fisherman dropped his coverage in 2020 because he was paying $34,000 a year.
Quote:
You’re a liar.

I love you too!
blatham

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 10:10 am
Quote:
Kevin M. Kruse
@KevinMKruse
If a giant meteor were heading straight for us, the emergency response would start with 20 minutes of NASA officials talking about how handsome and manly the president looked.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 10:12 am
@maporsche,
Yes. Tough at best for anyone.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 10:38 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Interestingly, while the poor are covered there's a huge problem among the self-employed. A friend who's a fisherman dropped his coverage in 2020 because he was paying $34,000 a year.

The system that produced this must change. Now. It’s killing people. It’s an emergency. The only way to save people is to adopt universal healthcare.
RABEL222

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 10:52 am
@Lash,
True. But as was pointed out to you Bernie isent going to do it because he will not be able to build a colition. He is neither republican nor democrat and in today's world one has to be one or the other to get anything done.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 10:53 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Are you able to articulate what Fox News has to do with my post?

Progressives start babbling about Fox News whenever someone out-thinks them.

It's sort of a default mode when their brains hit a critical error and stop functioning.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 10:55 am
@Lash,
Quote:
The only way to save people is to adopt universal healthcare.
There are many ways of putting this idea into practice though, and there are also indirect ways of improving people's health. For instance, nutritional education should be part of every school curriculum. Obesity and diabetes, conditions which plague the poor, are directly connected to sugar intake. And excess sugar consumption is encouraged by the soft drink industry. Regulations could improve the labeling of these products and they could be heavily taxed; the revenue could help subsidize the cost of insulin. Parents who feed this crap to their kids need to understand the damage they are doing.
Lash

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 11:01 am
@hightor,
Great. That’s like the Welfare Queen argument against Food Stamps. I’d expect that from Ronald Reagan.

People deserve healthcare! Period! We shouldn’t die because we don’t have enough money to get care.
revelette3

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 11:30 am
@Lash,
Or change the laws so that States can't control the medicare extension program. I never understood that decision. If states can control that why can't they control all of Medicare and just make older people do without? Many of the best things about Obamacare got struck down or Trump came along and marked them out with EO.

Right now with the Pandemic going on is not the time to a big upheaval in the government.

Why does everything have to be so all or nothing? Why can't whoever wins, (hopefully with a majority in both the Senate and the House) work on solutions to fix what got messed up and what needed improving with the ACA? It is something almost all the country wants now as opposed to 2008. Medicare for All, as it is planned right now, is not something more than the country wants nor can we afford it no matter how we manipulate the government budget--regardless of pr0-Sanders analysis to the contrary; most expert agree we can't afford Bernie's Medicare for All plus all his other programs combined.

Perhaps in the years to come, it will be the right time to make it all government health insurance care.

Just trying to be reasonable.
revelette3

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 11:37 am
@blatham,
Well given the numbers, I think at least the primary will be over like in the next week or so. (I hope) Perhaps by the time the general comes around, with any luck at all, the Pandemic will have died down. Just thinking about the crowds and people gathered together during the election events during this time, you can see the sense in not wanting those gatherings to happen.
oralloy

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 11:43 am
@revelette3,
I don't know. I think the Sanders/Biden battle may drag out.

I early-voted last Tuesday though because I figured the pandemic might be reaching Michigan next Tuesday. And I'm going to absentee vote the rest of the year.
revelette3

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 11:49 am
@oralloy,
Perhaps voting by mail or by computer better yet, would be the safest thing to do. A lot would go wrong with voting tabulating, but at least people wouldn't be exposed to the virus as much.
oralloy

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 11:50 am
@revelette3,
revelette3 wrote:
Medicare for All, as it is planned right now, is not something more than the country wants nor can we afford it no matter how we manipulate the government budget--regardless of pr0-Sanders analysis to the contrary; most expert agree we can't afford Bernie's Medicare for All plus all his other programs combined.

Have you asked any Magic Money Tree proponents about that?

Anyway, even if he could only afford to achieve 40% of his goals, that's still 40% more than nothing. I don't really see the logic of not voting for him simply because you fear that he won't achieve 100% of his goals.
oralloy

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 11:53 am
@revelette3,
revelette3 wrote:
Perhaps voting by mail or by computer better yet, would be the safest thing to do. A lot would go wrong with voting tabulating, but at least people wouldn't be exposed to the virus as much.

Computer hackers would have a field day with computer voting.

But I'll be voting by mail this year unless news reports indicate that the pandemic is over.