Warren is out.
Real Music

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2020 09:53 am
@Brand X,
I just saw the news report.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2020 09:56 am
Hasn’t said who she’ll endorse, if anyone...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/05/us/politics/elizabeth-warren-drops-out.html?0p19G=2870
Brand X

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2020 10:01 am
I don't think her supporters appreciated Bernie Bros so it's doubtful that much if any of them will be going to Sanders.
snood

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2020 10:11 am
@Brand X,
I guess we’ll see. They are going to have to make a determination about whether the progressive ideals they share with Bernie outweigh the antipathy they may have for the tactics of his supporters.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2020 10:12 am
@snood,
It appears that Warren has one of three options in no particular order:

Option 1: endorse Joe Biden

Option 2: endorse Bernie Sanders

Option 3: wait and endorse whoever eventually wins the nomination.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2020 10:15 am
Bernie Bros hate Warren so much, and they are the Sanders faithful, he will be forced to reject her endorsement if it were to happen. I don't think she has a plan for that.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2020 10:21 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Journalists — unlike reporters — aren't ethically bound to standards of objectivity, only to truth.

I'm not saying they should be bound to standards of objectivity (although where I come from they are and I would certainly recommend it), just that there's been a lot of negative bias in media reports on Sanders. He is used to being disregarded, ignored, belittled, insulted, etc. by the "mainstream media".
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2020 10:25 am
@Brand X,
On the contrary, I think Bernie would welcome her endorsement as a lifeline.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2020 10:37 am
@Brand X,
I don’t think Bernie can afford to reject a Warren endorsement.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2020 10:45 am
@snood,
My guess is that she will not endorse anyone. She's not going to endorse Biden, but I don't know that she can bring herself to endorse Sanders.
blatham

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2020 11:10 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
A lot of acid has been thrown towards him, that's undeniable.
True. Though also true for each candidate, particularly as they appear to endanger some other candidates or interest groups. And Bernie's been running for many years now so the accumulation surely sits on his supporters with more weight and their sense of unique grievance is partly due to that.

But the most clear example of how his claim is off the wall is Hillary Clinton. That's a decades long array of campaigns to bring her down and a press corps that knee-jerked pretty much any faux scandal that got pushed into the news.

The Nazi comparison was, of course, idiotic. But aside from Matthews and right wing players, that was the extent of it.
snood

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2020 11:15 am
@engineer,
Whatever she does, even if it’s announce she’s not endorsing anyone, I think she’ll do pretty quickly - like before the weekend.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2020 11:26 am
@snood,
Quote:
I think she’ll do pretty quickly - like before the weekend.

As soon as she is done with her beer.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2020 11:29 am
@snood,
Quote:
Is [Sanders] just pretending not to notice that millions of black folk propelled Biden’s victories? Or is he actually this stuck?

It's a blind spot which applies more broadly than to just black voters though that part is the most disagreeable to lots of us.

I think he and his people just axiomatically perceive all criticism or support of alternate candidates as support of the status quo which is equated to "establishment". There's some sense in that but when they then presume coordination of those voices by the DNC or some other party entity, they go off the rails fast.

These are tendencies that are common to radical break-away groups and to those more comfortable with binary us/them formulations.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2020 11:31 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
symptomatic of how quite a few of the in-crowd journalists are viewing Sanders as pretty much the devil.

I do think that's fair and accurate. Recall when Broder said of Bill Clinton, "He came in and broke the place and it wasn't his place". It was Broder's place.
Brand X

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2020 11:32 am
@engineer,
Do you remotely see Biden/Warren VP/Harris AG scenario?
blatham

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2020 11:36 am
@engineer,
Quote:
My guess is that she will not endorse anyone.
I think so too. A good decision at this point. Nothing wrong at all with letting her supporters make their own choices. It's what I'd hoped she do if she dropped.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2020 11:41 am
@Brand X,
No. I could see Biden/Harris or Biden/Klobuchar. I also don't think Warren would take the VP slot. Ever since she got to the Senate, she has been trying to move forward legislation to support her agenda. My guess is she sees that as a lot more possible next term, especially if Democrats flip some seats.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2020 11:42 am
I'm sure you've all seen that Trump, on Hannity, said about the WHO data on virus fatality rates,
Quote:
"Well, I think the 3.4 percent is really a false number. Now, and this is just my hunch, and — but based on a lot of conversations with a lot of people that do this. Because a lot people will have this and it's very mild. They'll get better very rapidly. They don't even see a doctor. They don't even call a doctor,"

0 Replies