oralloy

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 09:49 am
@Olivier5,
You're both bad guys actually. Neither one of you offers facts or logic.

And you both throw tantrums when others offer facts and logic.
oralloy

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 09:51 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
obstructionist Senate

Are Democrats obstructionist when they don't pass Republican bills?
0 Replies

revelette3

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 09:56 am
@engineer,
When the primary first began, I was actually in favor of Warren, then, I changed my mind and changed it again until I don't know who I will vote for. I just know who I won't vote for unless forced to choose between Sanders and Trump. At one point I even considered Sanders until I actually read some of his proposals and realized just how big they are and realized it is just too big.

So are Warren's but I actually like her proposals when I read the details. She is also very good at debates and would pound away at Trump. But so was Hillary and she lost a lot of swing states to Trump anyway.

To be flat dead honest, I am scared Trump is going to win no matter who wins the primary.

0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 10:03 am
@revelette3,
It helps, A LOT, that Warren is an actual Democrat and has a record of actually getting things done.
Brand X

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 10:05 am
@maporsche,
To what do you attribute to her poor election results thus far?
Olivier5

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 10:07 am
@oralloy,
Oh stop your tantrum and join us on the bright side of the force.
oralloy

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 10:09 am
@Olivier5,
I'm not the one who throws tantrums. I am the one who provides facts and logic.

You are not on the bright side of anything. You routinely support evil.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 10:27 am
@Brand X,
Her problem with moderates include:
a) Too far left to be most moderate voters first choice
b) her initial embrace of Sanders radical M4A Bill

Her problem with progressives include:
a) not Bernie Sanders
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 10:28 am
The super Tuesday results were more or less as forecasted, though the accumulating good news for Biden has given him unexpected (by me) momentum. Now the Democrats appear to be headed for a potentially damaging collision between the Sanders and Establishment forces. I don't believe either Sanders or Biden has much chance of winning a Presidential election, and I was truly surprised to read of Bloomberg's termination of his campaign. He likely didn't get the early surge he was counting on, but I believe folded his cards too early in the game. The Democrat Convention may well be interesting.
revelette3

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 10:45 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
between the Sanders and Establishment forces
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 10:55 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
No harm intended.
I know. But I've been crying all morning. I even visited my mother's grave but it didn't help much, the bitch.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 11:04 am
@blatham,
I loved your mother too.
blatham

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 11:07 am
@Olivier5,
You and a lot of others.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 11:09 am
Quote:
The Sanders campaign often talks as though it’s only talking about an establishment of insiders and power brokers. But that just leaves millions of activists and voters erased from the picture entirely. The last 72 hours is a case in point. To hear many Sanders surrogates describe it, the establishment and power brokers closed ranks and pushed Biden into the lead. But again, this just pretends like millions of voters don’t exist, or function as pawns of party elites. So you have one theory of political agency for Sanders supporters and another for everyone else. This stands no kind of political scrutiny.

Did key endorsements, especially from Jim Clyburn but also from Klobuchar, Buttigieg and O’Rourke, have an effect? Of course. But focusing only on those ignores what was a parallel reaction among numerous ordinary Democratic voters to the events of the last ten days. The interplay between these two developments is key.

Here we get to a critical, distinct dynamic of this race. Sanders was dominating the primary race with about 25% support. If you won’t or can’t expand your coalition beyond that number you’re in a highly vulnerable position, particularly if you’ve created a confrontational or antipathetic relationship with other factions within the party.

This is not to say the Sanders faction of the party is the only one that faces coalitional problems. Far from it. It will be critical for whoever wins the nomination to craft a story to let the supporters of the losing candidates come on board. That is work every Democrat and really everyone who wants to unseat Donald Trump has in front of them.
Josh Marshall TPM
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 11:11 am
@georgeob1,
Biden won’t win.
oralloy

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 11:15 am
@Lash,
Well obviously Mr. Trump is going to win.

But we still need to pick a Democrat to deliver a concession speech on election night.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 11:15 am
Bloomberg is out. Endorses Biden.

That endorsement is not worth much. Let's see if he now spends the sort of money he spent on his personal project in another - his stated goal - to bring Trump down. It's not as if he doesn't have a ****-ton more than he'll ever need.

Quote:
On the one hand, Michael Bloomberg spent $500 million on a presidential campaign with nothing to show for it.

On the other hand, Forbes says his net worth has increased $2.9 billion over the past year.
—@mattyglesias
blatham

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 11:21 am
Quote:
After some unfortunate missteps, John McEntee has a rather powerful role in the White House. The 29-year-old aide used to be the president's personal assistant -- as part of a job known as Donald Trump's "body man" -- but McEntee is now serving as the new director of the Office of Presidential Personnel, making him responsible for hiring and vetting applicants for thousands of executive-branch positions.

As we discussed last week, McEntee also reportedly is playing a central role in a White House loyalty "purge," in which officials are subjected to political scrutiny and those deemed insufficiently pro-Trump face transfers or dismissals.

But as part of his duties, McEntee's office has apparently prepared a new questionnaire for those applying for jobs on Team Trump. CNN reported yesterday on the document's details:
Quote:
Candidates applying to join President Donald Trump's administration will now have to explain what part of Trump's campaign message "most appealed" to them and why. [...] The White House's renewed focus on loyalty has raised questions about whether the hiring process for political appointments will overly weight loyalty over qualifications, raising the prospect that less-qualified candidates could be installed in certain positions.
Benen

Ha ha ha. Good joke, CNN.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 11:25 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Biden won’t win.

I agree with you on that.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 11:38 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Lash wrote:

Biden won’t win.

I agree with you on that.

That's what concerns me too. There's also the potential for Biden to be a do-nothing president, but that's more for Americans to worry about than for me...