blatham

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 07:35 am
Ed Kilgore
@ed_kilgore
Democrats can definitely unite behind Sanders. But Ezra's right: that can only happen if he and his people stop treating the party as an evil institution that needs to be conquered & then euthanized.
Read Ezra here
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 07:35 am
Warren comes in third in her home state, Bloomberg gets pretty much nothing for his money, looks like a two person race. The only other option is for Bloomberg to find another candidate and put all his wealth into the mother of all super pacs to push someone who has a better chance than he does (and I think it is a little late for that.)
Olivier5

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 07:37 am
@blatham,
Why do you insist on this very bizare point if you believe it's not important?

It's important to stay focused on the real objective, to kerp it real and avoid getting confused. Even if a president becomes de facto the informal head on his party, that's a side effect, not the goal of the candidate. Therefore, he's not aiming to be the darling of the DNC. It's not his goal.
Brand X

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 07:42 am
@engineer,
Ironically Bloomberg only spent $1600.00 in American Samoa, the only primary he won.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 07:47 am
Quote:
Naomi Klein
@NaomiAKlein
· 6m
A candidate who voters choose joylessly, out of fear, panic or resignation, is not safe. #JoeNotSafe https://twitter.com/bridgetgillard/status/1235195956888506368

This is so searingly stupid. Let's tell all the Dem voters who came out in record or near-record levels and all the African American voters who voted for Biden that someone who has never met you or talked with you somehow knows you are joyless, panicked and resigned.
engineer

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 07:51 am
@blatham,
It's more of the same from four years ago. No Sanders pundit would even consider that someone would want to vote for someone other than their candidate.
blatham

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 07:52 am
@Olivier5,
Attend to Ezra's piece.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 07:54 am
@blatham,
Here you go: It's based on an inaccurate premise, hence it's worthless.
blatham

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 07:58 am
@engineer,
Yeah. And as it seems to be a two cycle phenomenon, I think we have to conclude that this has something to do with Sanders himself. I've got no problem with this push to the left, I think it was needed. But there's a fanaticism and self-certainty that produces damaging consequences.
blatham

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 07:59 am
@Olivier5,
I guess a tugboat took out the bridge between us on this matter. Damn tugboats.
blatham

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 08:02 am
And speaking of certainties, boy oh boy, isn't the period the last few months a perfect example of how certainties in electoral prognostications ought not to be held or granted credence. But most folks will probably forget, again.
hightor

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 08:09 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
You're the one feeling defensive here.

No. I'm offensive. As usual.
blatham

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 08:11 am
@hightor,
A friend of mine once briefly considered offering an offensive driving course. And he wasn't even from New York City.
hightor

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 08:11 am
@snood,
Quote:
Anyone else watch Bernie start trashing Biden when the Biden wins started accumulating?

Yeah — and once the Republicans realized Joe Biden wasn't simply a forgotten afterthought, they started the calls to subpoena Hunter Biden again.
hightor

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 08:13 am
@blatham,
That's like the insultant job I considered applying for.
oralloy

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 08:14 am
@hightor,
Investigations into the Biden crime family are getting started in Ukraine as well.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 08:15 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
And speaking of certainties, boy oh boy, isn't the period the last few months a perfect example of how certainties in electoral prognostications ought not to be held or granted credence. But most folks will probably forget, again.

It was always obvious that Biden had a strong base of support. That's why I originally predicted his nomination.

That said, when were the last times that someone was nominated without coming first or second in New Hampshire? And how extraordinary were the circumstances when it happened?

It's pretty hard to see how Biden can go against history at this point.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 08:16 am
Quote:
Michael Nazli
@iThinkBuzz
· 2h
Elizabeth warren took away 100’000’s of progressive votes from Bernie for just staying in with no chance what so ever .. resulting in a big wins for Biden .. don’t tell me the system is not against Bernie #RiggedPrimary #SuperTuesdayResults

Note the use of "system" here. "Establishment" doesn't work very well re Warren, of course. But in this usage above, system seems to mean something like reality. And he has a point. Reality doesn't work that well for me often.

At my age, one thinks about reality fairly often. My biggest beef is that there's just too much of it.
blatham

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 08:19 am
@hightor,
Very good.

On another site some years ago, the conversation was getting seriously silly and I posted a trollish non-sequitor. One respondent, a tad irate, wrote, "How is that pertinent to this discussion?!" I wrote back, "I don't do pertinent. I do impertinent."
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 08:21 am
oralloy wrote:
That said, when were the last times that someone was nominated without coming first or second in New Hampshire?

You make too much of this statistic. It's predictive, not prescriptive. There's no cosmic force which dictates that the nominee has to place first or second in order to win; it's just usually worked out that way.