blatham

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 11:43 am
@snood,
Quote:
Lou Dobbs thinks Trump is a masterful example of manhood and leadership.

It is absolutely no mere coincidence that this valuation of "manliness" (imposing physical stature, superior strength, attitudes of dominance, etc) are celebrated on the right far more than within the left. It's why there are relatively few women in Republican politics. It's why the right fights so adamantly to reject the ERA. It's why Ailes, when he pulled Hannity out of obscurity (he'd been a housepainter and construction guy with a small broadcast hobby) and set up a place for him on Fox which was initially named "The Hannity and [liberal to be announced later] Show", then added a smaller more effete male as that "liberal" to be contrasted with Hannity. It's why the right has all the knuckle draggers in soldier gear with big guns. It's why the right has a boner for strong-man leaders. It's why guys like Trump or Cheney or Stone laud their motto of "Never back down. Never apologize." It's why, as one Brit writer put it, "Margaret Thatcher had two aides assigned whose job was to ensure she didn't walk into the wrong bathrooms." It's why there are so few humorists on the right because that endeavor requires an ironic perspective which immediately allows for the humorist to be included in what his/her jokes tell.

This is, of course, a consequence of our primate genetic inheritance. But so are the tendencies to rape women and to subjugate others. And I've truly had enough of this ******* crap.

Olivier5

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 11:47 am
@blatham,
I'm sorry but that's not defining any standard to which you could objectively hold a candidate responsible for his followers' behavior.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 12:11 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
But so are the tendencies to rape women and to subjugate others. And I've truly had enough of this ******* crap.

Are you talking about Islam? Finally getting to you?
0 Replies

revelette3

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 12:12 pm
According to the NYT, mistakes were made in Iowa across the board with real consequences for candidates. I think the whole state should just be counted as null and void and possibly a do-over with people who actually know how to use apps.

We Checked the Iowa Caucus Math.
Here’s Where It Didn’t Add Up.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 12:16 pm
@revelette3,
Quote:
According to the NYT,

That right there is enough to disregard your post. The NYT is going to be shilling for Bloomberg very soon.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 12:23 pm
https://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/afb021020dAPR20200210034508.jpg
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 12:29 pm
@revelette3,
Couldn't they re-caucus in those 10% of precincts that made mistakes the first time?
Brand X

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 01:07 pm
This is just the most blatant smears on MSNBC, there are countless other slants and omissions regarding Bernie on that network. With press like this there doesn't need to be a 'never Bernie' movement.

Let's Just Say It: Chris Matthews Hates Bernie Sanders

'But by the time 2016 rolled around, reporters were pointing out that Matthews was giving Clinton softball questions, while repeatedly grilling and interrupting Sanders and accusing him of lying.'

'Fast forward to January 2020, when Matthews said this very normal thing: “Suppose you’re lying on a road hurt … which of the candidates would stop their car and get out and help you? Which of them? Ask yourself that question.” He insisted that Joe Biden and Elizabeth Warren would stop their car, but Sanders would not. Even Joe Scarborough—Joe Scarborough!—had to step in and support Sanders.'

'Leading up to Sanders’s win this week in New Hampshire, Matthews truly lost it, implying that Sanders would cheer on his public execution: “I have an attitude towards [Fidel] Castro,” Matthews explained. “I believe if Castro and the Reds had won the Cold War there would have been executions in Central Park and I might have been one of the ones getting executed. And certain other people would be there cheering, okay?”

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/939qm8/lets-just-say-it-chris-matthews-hates-bernie-sanders
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 01:08 pm
U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders has doubled his support among Democratic voters in Texas and now leads the race for that party’s presidential nomination in Texas, according to the latest University of Texas/Texas Tribune Poll.

Sanders had the support of 24% of the self-identified Democratic primary voters in the poll, up from 12% in October. Sanders passed both former Vice President Joe Biden and U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren, the two leaders in the October 2019 UT/TT Poll. Early voting in the Texas primaries starts on Tuesday; election day — Super Tuesday — is March 3. ....

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/02/14/bernie-sanders-leading-texas-ahead-super-tuesday-uttt-poll-says/
georgeob1

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 01:17 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

If not government, who makes the rules? The bully? The wealthy guys with a private army? The religious tyrant with his wild-eyed followers? The Mafia bosses and the drug cartels? The nobility? Corrupt tycoons who want more wealth, more power? The individuals who are born with an over-arching need to dominate everyone around them?
It depends on just what "the rules" address. I believe government is (fairly) good at limiting the excesses in human behavior (crime, overbearing monopolies, external dangers and threats,, but has a woefully poor record at regulating to achieve perceived optimal human behavior. In most areas of life individual choice and self-interest are the best available guides to the organization of human affairs.
blatham wrote:
The reason that the West has produced such incredible advances in so many fields of human endeavor and in broad health and wealth of citizens is through representative democratic governance. We've lived through a golden age, you and I and the others here. Libertarians have produced no such legacy. Nothing remotely close.
I partly agree. However I believe the chief feature of Western Democratic governments has been the attendant limitations on the reach and domain allowed to government actions demanded by, and intrenched in, such democracies. In my view it is precisely the constitutional or traditional limitations on government power produced by those Western democracies that has enabled the great success to which you referred. In this context it is worth noting that the tyrannies, whether of the right or left, that have emerged in the Western world have all involved nations and governments that have cast off their traditional limits on the powers of government.
blatham wrote:
And by the by... tell me what you think about Lou Dobbs' assertion that William Barr is a creature of the Deep State.
I wasn't aware of his comment, but I don't agree. Barr strikes me as a principled and very competent person with great integrity. I believe he rightly criticized Trump for his tweets on an ongoing sensitive legal matter - reminding the President that he won't respond to them, and that the appearance of blind, impartial justice is nearly as important as the fact of it. Trump has effectively used Twitter to bypass the Media. However it does have its bad side effects, and this is one. That said I doubt that Trump is at all sore at his AG for objecting.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 01:28 pm
@revelette3,
revelette3 wrote:
I think the whole state should just be counted as null and void and possibly a do-over with people who actually know how to use apps.

Since every caucus-goer left a signed paper ballot indicating their voting choice in both the first and second round, I would think it would be best to just do a full hand recount of all of the paper ballots.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 01:31 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Couldn't they re-caucus in those 10% of precincts that made mistakes the first time?

Focusing on the places where errors were noticed wouldn't fix all the mistakes that have gone unnoticed.

And why redo any part of the election when they can simply do a hand recount of the paper ballots?

Or have the paper ballots mysteriously disappeared?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 01:56 pm
@Olivier5,
I suspect the main result of this will be an increasingly bitter struggle within the Democrat party over an emerging conflict between Bernie fans and more circumspect Democrats who fear a disastrous loss and prefer Bloomberg. It appears to me that either will be a loosing option for them
blatham

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 01:57 pm
Quote:
Rudy Giuliani, President Donald Trump’s personal lawyer, said Thursday night that Democrats want to “kill” him because of supposed insider information he has about Hunter Biden and Burisma.

“We are going to reveal the whole thing,” Giuliani promised Fox Business Network host Trish Regan about evidence of unsubstantiated Democratic corruption in Ukraine he’s long been promising. “It’s not just Biden – it’s a bunch of Democrats. That’s why they are so crazy on the subject of Ukraine and why they want to kill me — literally kill me.”
TPM

Another bold and honest man of heroic integrity and dripping with Christian humility targeted.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 02:04 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Another bold and honest man of heroic integrity and dripping with Christian humility targeted.

Why do you always mention qualities you know nothing about? You actually draw attention to your own dishonesty and lack of integrity.
blatham

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 02:06 pm
No charges for Comey or for McCabe
Quote:
According to the Post’s sources, Trump believes it to be unacceptable that neither Comey nor McCabe has been charged criminally.
TPM
What the hell is America coming to when you can't put your political enemies in jail. Sad!

And this announcement today can very easily be seen as a further attempt to paint Barr's DOJ as something other than subservient to the orange fascista.

Mind you, when this stuff is going on, a lot of cover needs to be tossed up into the air...
Quote:
Attorney General Bill Barr has brought in outside prosecutors to review the decisions made by the DOJ attorneys who have been handling the Michael Flynn case and other politically sensitive matters — some publicly known, some not — coming from within the U.S. Attorneys office in D.C, the New York Times and NBC News reported Friday.

According to the Times report, line prosecutors — meaning the career DOJ officials who handle prosecutions on a day to day basis — have faced questioning from prosecutors installed by Barr about what steps they have taken in the cases and why those steps were taken.

The questioning started two weeks ago, according to the Times. Among the outside prosecutors who have been brought to review the D.C. U.S Attorney’s office work are Jeff Jensen, the U.S. Attorney in St. Louis, as well as officials working under Jeffrey A. Rosen, Barr’s hand-picked Deputy Attorney General...
TPM
RABEL222

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 02:14 pm
@coldjoint,
Why dont you post the truth rather than your usual lying bull shyt.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 02:19 pm
@blatham,
Quote:

What the hell is America coming to when you can't put your political enemies in jail. Sad!

What is it coming to when you spy illegally on political opponents without accountability? It is not over. The optimism on Comey and Mc Cabe not being prosecuted is just that. Durham will make the charges when it is time.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 02:20 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
Why dont you post the truth rather than your usual lying bull shyt.

I did post the truth. Blatham has proven what I said.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 02:37 pm
@RABEL222,
The only liar here is you. You cannot provide any examples of anything untrue in any of his posts.
0 Replies