blatham

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 02:59 pm
Since 2006, Walter Shaub worked in the Office of Government Ethics. In 2013, he was appointed by Obama to head the office. He resigned in 2017 when Trump refused to divest his business interests while in the WH.

I'm going to link to a very important interview with Shaub at Vox. Here's a few excerpts:
Quote:
It’s important to remember the context in which all of this is unfolding. This week, we’ve learned that the extent to which the president has politicized the Department of Justice may be a lot worse than any of us feared. And then on the heels of that discovery he tweets out this extortionate demand that New York drop its lawsuits against him.

He made the link to this outrageous Global Entry decision that the government made with regard to New York. He was careful not to say the exact phrase, ‘as a quid pro quo, give me this relief from your lawsuits and I will give you relief from my administration’s Global Entry decision,’ but this is the issue we confronted during the impeachment hearing. The criminals never say, ‘This is a quid pro quo.’ They link things and then try to steer your behavior with the linkage, and either give or withhold something in exchange for it.

It’s important to remember that the president is exempt from a lot of criminal conflict of interest statutes, but he’s not exempt from 18 U.S. Code §201 — linking an official action to a thing of value given by another party. So telling them to drop lawsuits against him personally is a thing of value, and making a decision on the Global Entry would be an official act.

...There was a really instructive interview that [MSNBC host] Nicole Wallace did with Robert Costa of the Washington Post yesterday in which he explained to her that [Trump’s] closest advisers are telling people like Costa that Trump now feels the rule of law is done, and he can do whatever he wants because the Senate will back him. (see interview at link)

...They are in a straight line pointing from democracy to authoritarianism. This is a president declaring himself above the law, without regard for laws like the anti-bribery statute in one case, or the traditions of the country in a non-politicized justice system. I see them as exactly the same, because it is now a full-court press to push the boundaries in all directions.

If you envision it, it’s not that he’s focused on one issue and pushing it in one direction. It’s like a balloon expanding. And so the outer edges of the expanding balloon are going to touch on different issues, but they are consistent in being part of the expanding of executive power beyond the bounds of anything democracy can tolerate.
Link Here
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 03:02 pm
Here's a case where Laura Ingraham has it right
Quote:
LAURA INGRAHAM (HOST): All right, John, the media sees this sexy story of Trump versus Barr but, they missed the fact that Barr was basically telling Trump, 'don't worry, I got this.'
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 03:04 pm
@Brand X,
The ‘Bernie Is A Russian’ from Centrists is now moving up the charts...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 03:06 pm
@engineer,
This isn’t true. We’re trying to appeal to poor and working class Republicans because they hate Bernie less than Centrists. You saw what Hillary Clinton said about Bernie. You can’t deny it.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 03:15 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

I totally disagree with your take on who is the enemy of whom. Many centrists have treated Bernie and his followers as the enemy. Now they're coming to regret it.

On Sanders'role as visionary vs. leader, if elected it's quite possible (given his age) that like Moses he will lead his people out of Pharaoh's rule and into the wilderness of change, but die before reaching the promised land.

In other words, Bernie could well win this election, do the good campaigning/organizing work needed to change the face of congress, start to win some state's assemblies and congressional seats, and then die before he can see any of his programmes implemented...

That would be sad in a personal way, but irrelevant politically. The important
thing is to gird up your loins and start the journey.

Brilliant read of the situation.

This is precisely why the VP slot is crucial; why strong anti-corporates like AOC, Tlaib etc are crucial—and Bernie has a plan to bring regular people from all walks of life to Washington for massive reform. We have an army to carry on Bernie’s progress.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 03:18 pm
Try to imagine how Republicans would have responded to this if Obama or any Dem in the WH had done anything like it. Do try.

Quote:
For border wall, Trump raids billions from Pentagon budget (again)
As far as Trump is concerned, the Pentagon has so much extra money lying around, he can raid its budget without consequence.
Benen

Or this

Quote:
On the deficit, VP Mike Pence gives away the game
The same Republicans who said deficits hinder economic growth now believe deficits can help fuel economic growth. Imagine that.
Benen

The GOP are suddenly Keynesians. Again. Isn't that so special.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 03:19 pm
Waleed Shahid
@_waleedshahid
·
24m
🚨 The first time the Koch political network has ever backed a federal Democrat is
@RepCuellar
over
@justicedems
-backed
@JCisnerosTX
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 03:20 pm
@Olivier5,
I regularly see the #StillWitherers call for Bernie’s death and bear the hashtag #NeverBernie.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 03:26 pm
@georgeob1,
I guarantee you that Bloomberg will not win.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 03:33 pm
Quote:
TheBeat w/Ari Melber
@TheBeatWithAri
WATCH: Former Deputy AG Donald Ayer tells @AriMelber he "doesn't think [Barr] is fit for the office" of Attorney General as he has taken on "a campaign to undermine the Department of Justice."https://bit.ly/2SGd3bn

Ayer worked directly undr Barr in the George HW Bush administration.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 03:50 pm
Woooohoooo!! DeBlasio kicks Clinton to the curb and campaigns with Bern!!

(Nods appreciatively). I heard him say good things during his short tenure as a candidate. Very happy to see him bucking the establishment.🔥
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 03:52 pm
I mentioned some weeks ago that Israel would far rather have Trump in office than to have Bernie Sanders there, who'd of course be the first Jewish president in US history. Here's some real evidence for that proposition.
AIPAC IS HELPING FUND ANTI-BERNIE SANDERS SUPER PAC ADS IN NEVADA

Edit: And by "Israel" I mean the Israeli right. Which of course holds power.
oralloy

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 03:54 pm
@blatham,
Sanders is such a neonazi what else would you expect?

AIPAC knows who Israel's true friends are.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 04:05 pm
AIPAC is far too powerful in the US. Bernie will nip that shite in the bud.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 04:08 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Bernie will nip that shite in the bud.

I think Bernie will let his two resident Jews haters Tlaib and Omar handle that. It is not a good look for Bernie.
oralloy

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 04:11 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
AIPAC is far too powerful in the US.

Speak for yourself. I'm certainly not bothered by the prospect of Jews being allowed to vote and exercise free speech.

Lash wrote:
Bernie will nip that shite in the bud.

Do tell. What does the little neonazi have planned?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 04:12 pm
Quote:
Robert Reich
@RBReich
Just a casual reminder that Mike Bloomberg spent over $300 million on campaign ads in January alone.

That’s more than Hillary Clinton spent on advertising during her entire presidential run.

Worst possible scenario: Trump wins again.
Second worst possibility: Bloomberg wins nomination and presidency.

In either case, anything like a functioning representative democracy in America is almost certainly dead. The second worst case just means a slower descent with less immediate authoritarianism/fascism and with a very small chance of recovery.
Brand X

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 04:13 pm
@Lash,
AIPAC is super powerful in the California dem party.
Brand X

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 04:15 pm
Robert Costa
@costareports
· 1h
News: @cornellbelcher, a veteran strategist and one of President Obama's former pollsters, has decided to advise the Bloomberg campaign. He just confirmed it in a brief phone interview.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 04:15 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Second worst possibility: Bloomberg wins nomination and presidency.

You will be shilling for Bloomberg before this over. Remember this post.