Olivier5

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2020 01:30 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
It shows pragmatism and dedication, far from the picture of an utopian and/or dishonest politician that some here are peddling.
I think hightor's point is that exactly those concerns are at issue.

Why should the use of executive powers necessarily be a problem?
Brand X

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2020 01:37 pm
@Olivier5,
It's a way to bypass opposition and score points for 'getting things done'. Can be good or bad, just depends on your point of view.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2020 01:48 pm
@Brand X,
Aren't they constitutionally kosher?
hightor

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2020 02:04 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:

Not across the board. They have to be supported by the Constitution and they can be invalidated by Congress through legislation, or the policies can be denied funding.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2020 02:07 pm
@hightor,
Or challenged in court, I think. So there’s some framework.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2020 04:18 pm
@oralloy,
Like Hillary?
Like John Kerry?
Like Al Gore?
Lash

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2020 04:24 pm
@revelette3,
Do you think I care about the prevailing He Man Ad Hom club’s reception of my posts? I care about the opinions of people I respect.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2020 04:27 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Hot damn!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2020 05:01 pm
Quote:
Amanda Marcotte
@AmandaMarcotte
A few days ago, I said that Sanders — like all candidates — should expect Republicans to campaign against him primarily with attacks from the left. I was met with a chorus of red roses claiming this was unpossible because he is the leftist lefty the left has ever seen.

Welp, folks, I have bad news for you: The right wing rag Washington Examiner is running a headline claiming Sanders “praised” George Wallace in 1972. The story doesn’t have much context, so who ******* knows. I’m hoping we learn more, but I doubt it’s what they’re implying.

But this is how it works: Conservative orgs and front groups run stories that discredit Democratic politicians in progressive eyes, by suggesting they have a secret conservative/bigoted agenda. And that story takes off because most people don't know where it's coming from.

If you think you're immune, you're especially vulnerable, because you're going to get caught flat-footed when this sort of oppo is released. God only knows how long Washington Examiner has had this, but now that Sanders is surging, they're letting loose.

0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2020 05:15 pm
Quote:
andrew kaczynski🤔
@KFILE
There’s a lot of context missing to Sanders thoughts on Wallace. In my profile of Sanders in the 1970s I included an article he wrote on Wallace. He compares him to Hitler and calls him a demagogue: https://cnn.com/2019/05/07/politics/kfile-bernie-sanders-vermont-1970s/index.html
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2020 05:33 pm
If you’re an American, you should see this. Weird narrator voice, but if you aren’t completely cynical, this will stay with you.

https://youtu.be/857p5efkJWY
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2020 05:35 pm
@Olivier5,
In our system congress is supposed to pass the laws and the president is supposed to maintain them. The presidency dident used to be royalty governing by royal proclamation until congress quit doing its job. This is the reason Trumps ass is in a bind because he refused to maintain the congressional mandidate togive aid to Ukraine.
Lash

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2020 06:34 pm
Tulsi Gabbard stopped by a Bernie Sanders campaign location just to say hi.

🙂
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2020 09:28 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
In our system congress is supposed to pass the laws and the president is supposed to maintain them.

Don't forget the courts' role in interpreting the laws.

RABEL222 wrote:
The presidency dident used to be royalty governing by royal proclamation until congress quit doing its job.

Last I knew there were still plenty of federal laws on the books to be enforced. How is Congress not doing its job?

RABEL222 wrote:
This is the reason Trumps ass is in a bind because he refused to maintain the congressional mandidate to give aid to Ukraine.

Mr. Trump's ass is not in a bind.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2020 09:29 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Like Hillary?
Like John Kerry?
Like Al Gore?

Like Barack Obama and Bill Clinton.

The Republicans are going to hold the White House for at least the next 17 years, but when the Democrats do eventually get another opportunity to win the White House, it will only be by nominating another moderate.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2020 09:31 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

It depends. An executive order has to comply with the law as interpreted by the courts, and comply with the Constitution as interpreted by the courts.

If the courts feel that an executive order is contrary to either the law or the Constitution, they will strike it down.

That still gives the president a lot of leeway to do some things, but it's not limitless. The President is supposed to comply with and enforce all court orders.
RABEL222

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2020 12:59 am
@oralloy,
Barack Obama is no longer president. Nor is bill Clinton. Crooked Trump is the president ruling by royal proculamation because the republicans are too lazy to do the job they were elected to do.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2020 01:58 am
@RABEL222,
Yes but the system is dysfunctional and not democratic, it's already a dictatorship of the filthy rich.
hightor

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2020 06:36 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Yes but the system is dysfunctional and not democratic....

It's dysfunctional all right — because it's democratic. People vote for lower taxes, less regulation, and a strong military. The culture industry is highly effective.
Quote:
...it's already a dictatorship of the filthy rich.

No. Too bad it isn't a dictatorship, then we'd only have one person to blame. In reality, people vote these policies and support them. Many voters have no problem turning their backs on the liberal values which guided the USA for generations. Other people can't be bothered to inform themselves about political choices, much less get off their asses and actually vote. No, it's not a dictatorship. It's a collection of the scared, the envious, and the pampered — easily misinformed consumers who swallow all the bilious hokum delivered to their flat-screen TV's and smart phones and haven't quite made the connection between the ominous hollowness of their product-filled lives and the choices they make at the ballot box.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2020 07:08 am
@hightor,
Your take is naïve. Laws in America do not reflect the will of the people. Most of the time they reflect the will of lobbies and their handlers. This has been studied and proven time and again.