blatham

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 12:29 pm
Quote:
David Atkins
@DavidOAtkins
The more people talk about this, the more obvious it is that Bernie talked about the sexism Warren was likely to experience but did it in a hamfisted way. And that Warren took offense and told people about it privately afterward.

And that neither of them are lying or ill-willed.
Exactly the case, it seems to me. These are both well-intentioned individuals.
georgeob1

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 01:17 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

And that neither of them are lying or ill-willed.
Exactly the case, it seems to me. These are both well-intentioned individuals.
[/quote]

A likely inadvertent confession to the self-serving (and rather sappy) standards by which all Progressives evaluate themselves and their actions. They judge themselves and their actions based on their self - assigned good intentions , and not on the observable results of the actions they take and actual the results of the political initiatives they propose.

In a similar way they judge all who oppose their programs as being motivated by various bad intentions, and that too while ignoring the benefits that often result. Examples of this with respect to President Trump's actions and policies as President are abundant.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 01:42 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Examples of this with respect to President Trump's actions and policies as President are abundant.

They certainly are, and his intentions are only to make the country stronger and safer. We finally have a president that loves this country. That is more than obvious, and it gives his enemies fits.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 01:51 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Examples of this with respect to President Trump's actions and policies as President are abundant.
For sure. America has never looked so good domestically or on the world stage. Trump is more respected by world leaders everywhere than any president ever. The Middle East is like a spring meadow of peace and bird chirping. Dairy farmers have never been rolling in dough like they are today. The gap between rich and poor is shrinking as we speak. American youth has never had such work/advancement opportunities as now with solid wage levels. Racism has almost disappeared and african americans feel increasingly safe and equal. The GOP under Trump now has more women in high office than any administrattion ever and perhaps any other nation in the world. The institutions of state including the courts are more respected under Trump than has ever been the case. The debt is shrinking just like he promised.

It is just good news everywhere you look.
Lash

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 02:33 pm
@revelette3,
I was intimating that I just found this particular speech, and I have just decided it is now mandatory reading.

I also made ‘Letter from Birmingham Jail’ mandatory as well as Malcolm's ‘Ballot or the Bullet.’

I think you’d like all of those.

I heard MLK’s ‘Breaking the Silence’ for the first time in the car radio very recently and it seemed SO relatable to current events.

Enjoy.
Lash

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 02:34 pm
@blatham,
No, just the truth. But get that beady little ostrich head back in the sand!! Quick!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 02:35 pm
@revelette3,
Jesus Christ.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 02:39 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
The Middle East is like a spring meadow of peace and bird chirping.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing Area B Palestinians deported en masse to Gaza so the settlers can take over their farms, but things overall are looking pretty good for Israel.

blatham wrote:
Racism has almost disappeared

Yep.

blatham wrote:
It is just good news everywhere you look.

Things would be better yet if we shipped all the progressives off to work camps for forced reeducation.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 02:39 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
The Middle East is like a spring meadow of peace and bird chirping.

Trump did not involve us in the ME. He is dealing with it much better than Obama and Bush.
Quote:
Dairy farmers have never been rolling in dough like they are today.

Nunes is a dairy farmer. I do not hear him complaining.
Quote:
Racism has almost disappeared

Your ilk will not let racism disappear. Trump is not a racist.
0 Replies

revelette3

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 05:14 pm
@Lash,
Thank you, I see a trip down to the library soon. I have already started. The first was a really short one and given it's subject matter I knew I would like it. It's called, "The Measure of a Man." It's fairly religious. I started the next and perhaps I should have read others before tackling this one, but it's, "Where Do We Go From Here." So far, I am not sure of the comparison of the times then and the times now but, I think he could have very well have been a Progressive in this day and age. Both were written by him, I figured I would read all of the books written by him before starting on books about him.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 05:28 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Vox

Holy shitballs... didn't you just get on Lash's case for using a piece of **** source and you turn around and use the mung rag Vox?

Whatever sliver of credibility you had is now gone.
hightor

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 07:54 pm
@McGentrix,
Don't you think that's a bit harsh?
Quote:
Original programming by Vox has been recognized by the News & Documentary Emmy Awards, which are presented by the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences. In 2017, the documentary 2016 Olympics: What Rio Doesn't Want the World to See was nominated in the "Outstanding News Special" category, Vox Pop was nominated in the "Outstanding Arts, Culture and Entertainment Report" and "Outstanding Graphic Design and Art Direction" categories, and The Secret Life of Muslims was nominated in the "Outstanding Short Documentary" category. In 2018, Borders was nominated in the "Outstanding Video Journalism: News" category, and Earworm received nominations in the "Outstanding Graphic Design and Art Direction" and "Outstanding New Approaches: Arts, Lifestyle and Culture" categories.

wikipedia

Quote:
Flood the zone with ****

You know, Steve Bannon really said that. You can look it up. Meanwhile, looking at the website, there are lots of non-political stories as well. The Open Sourced project looks like it would be useful no matter where you are on the political spectrum. I think it's funny when conservatives recoil from established news organizations as if they might contract a contagious disease. Knowing that their bias is likely to be liberal you adjust your perspective, employ your interpretive skills, and glean meaningful information by noticing how the stories are being presented. Often they have reporters on site and you can completely ignore any editorial content while taking advantage of the in-depth coverage.
blatham

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 09:13 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Whatever sliver of credibility you had is now gone.
Do you click your thumb at me, sir?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 09:30 pm
@hightor,
It's possible PJ Media and Salem Communications have won scads of awards too. Let me check...

PJ Media - no awards mentioned at their wikipedia page
Salem - no awards mentioned at their wikipedia page

But that's probably because wikipedia is a lefty thing. Thank God for Conservapedia, Phyllis Schafly's son's wonderful site.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 10:15 pm
Now, let's see what reception this tweet gets in our little crowd here

Quote:
Ilhan Omar
@IlhanMN
· Jan 15
Let’s not give Trump an arsenal of attacks to use against us.

Bernie Sanders is not a sexist.

Elizabeth Warren is not a snake.

Let’s stay focused on the task ahead: defeating Donald Trump in November and fighting for the America we deserve.
blatham

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 10:18 pm
From the horrible, terrible Matt Yglesias at Vox
Quote:
Bernie Sanders can unify Democrats and beat Trump in 2020
The first in a Vox series making the best case for each of the top Democratic contenders.
HERE

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 10:26 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

I give it a "meh" and a "I wonder if there's anything good on TV tonight".
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 11:54 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Ilhan Omar
@IlhanMN
· Jan 15
Let’s not give Trump an arsenal of attacks to use against us.

Bernie Sanders is not a sexist.

Elizabeth Warren is not a snake.

Let’s stay focused on the task ahead: defeating Donald Trump in November and fighting for the America we deserve.

They’ll probably ignore it because it doesn’t support their constant hectoring of anyone not Bernie. They don’t need no steenking unity.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2020 01:44 am
NYT, unable to pick one candidate, selects two... WTF?

Quote:
The New York Times on Sunday endorsed Senators Amy Klobuchar and Elizabeth Warren for the Democratic presidential nomination, its first time choosing two candidates.

The liberal newspaper's pick comes just a few weeks before the Iowa caucuses on February 3 which officially begins the presidential primary season.

The Times described Massachusetts senator Warren as the "radical" and Minnesota senator Klobuchar as the "realist" choice.

"An essential debate is underway between two visions that may define the future of the (Democratic) party and perhaps the nation," the editorial board wrote.

"Some in the party view President Trump as an aberration and believe that a return to a more sensible America is possible. Then there are those who believe that President Trump was the product of political and economic systems so rotten that they must be replaced."

"Both the radical and the realist models warrant serious consideration," the board said. "That's why we're endorsing the most effective candidates for each approach. They are Elizabeth Warren and Amy Klobuchar."

0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2020 06:02 am
Top progressives back Sanders as skirmish with Warren rumbles on
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jan/19/progressives-bernie-sanders-elizabeth-warren-joe-biden

In a move touted by Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez as a “really big deal”, a key progressive member of Congress endorsed Bernie Sanders for president on Sunday, building on Ocasio-Cortez’s own endorsement and others.

Representative Pramila Jayapal of Washington, a co-chairman of the congressional progressive caucus, told the Washington Post she was endorsing Sanders because “he has a clarity on policy prescriptions that goes right to the heart of what working people need”. […]

Any doubts about Sanders’ support in the progressive wing of the party that may have been raised by the debate contretemps were forcefully rebutted by the Jayapal endorsement. The other chair of the progressive caucus, Mark Pocan of Wisconsin, endorsed Sanders last week and will be chairing his campaign in the state.

The disintegration of a non-aggression pact between Warren and Sanders – and the resulting online backlash from supporters in both camps – caused handwringing among progressive groups, which urged supporters of the two senators to reserve their fire for centrist rivals. […]

Interviews with more than 20 voters who attended the two progressives’ events on Friday and Saturday showed that they largely wanted the candidates to move on.

Sue Foecke, 40, attended the Des Moines house party hosted by Planned Parenthood Action Fund and plans to support Warren. She said a continued focus on the 2018 meeting “doesn’t add anything to the conversation”.

Though Foecke said she did not have a backup candidate because Warren should be “viable” in Iowa and able to win delegates, some at Warren’s events named Sanders as their second choice.

“It breaks my heart,” said Kathy Staub, 62, a Sanders backer who is involved in local politics in Manchester, of the controversy between the two candidates.

Staub said she liked both candidates but contrasted Sanders’ history as a grassroots organizer with Warren’s more recent emergence as a leading progressive with “policy wonk” plans.

Asked by a supporter about Democratic infighting, Sanders did not mention Warren or any other candidate and suggested disputes were overblown by news media that “often wants and exaggerates conflict”.

Warren repeatedly demurred when she was asked by reporters about the scuffle, responding: “I don’t have anything else to say on this.”