blatham

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 08:51 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Some suspect that the hashtag didn’t come about organically, but was launched or promoted by either the so-called Bernie Bros or Russian troll farms.
Well, yeah. It's a perfect example of bad-faith actors using the anonymity of social media to promote a particular narrative they hope will be repeated by eager fools and cause damage to Dem turnout/enthusiasm.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 08:52 am
@blatham,
A page of articles come up in a key word search - saying the same thing. I don't hide from facts like you do. What they said was a fact--that you can't refute. So, sit there with sad Centrist goop on your face.

0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 08:55 am
Quote:
“Flood the zone with ****”: How misinformation overwhelmed our democracy

...The core challenge we’re facing today is information saturation and a hackable media system. If you follow politics at all, you know how exhausting the environment is. The sheer volume of content, the dizzying number of narratives and counternarratives, and the pace of the news cycle are too much for anyone to process.

...My Vox colleague Dave Roberts calls this an “epistemic crisis.” The foundation for shared truth, he argues, has collapsed. I don’t disagree with that, but I’d frame the problem a little differently.

We’re in an age of manufactured nihilism.

The issue for many people isn’t exactly a denial of truth as such. It’s more a growing weariness over the process of finding the truth at all. And that weariness leads more and more people to abandon the idea that the truth is knowable.

I call this “manufactured” because it’s the consequence of a deliberate strategy. It was distilled almost perfectly by Steve Bannon, the former head of Breitbart News and chief strategist for Donald Trump. “The Democrats don’t matter,” Bannon reportedly said in 2018. “The real opposition is the media. And the way to deal with them is to flood the zone with ****.”...
Vox
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 09:03 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
One more $.87 argument from Walter.
My linked quote is from the Daily Dot. I have nothing to do with that "digital media company covering Internet culture and life on the web" nor do I get any money for quoting.

But certainly I'll accept those $.87 - you can send it via paypal.
blatham

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 09:16 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
$.87
I'm convinced that a survey of A2K participants would concur with Lash that her posts hold a much higher dollar value than yours, Walter. No doubt about it. She's like an A2K influencer while you're just a foreigner with little knowledge or sense.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 09:25 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
you're just a foreigner with little knowledge or sense.
I guess I have to go crying again in my men's selfhelp group
Lash

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 09:26 am
@blatham,
Go read...I'm sorry, 'attend' to something besides your silly beltway bubble-head Ornstein.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 09:27 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
my men's selfhelp group
Have you seen Phoebe Waller Bridge's Fleabag?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 09:29 am
Blistering speech by MLK one year to the day before his assassination.

Excerpt:
At this point I should make it clear that while I have tried in these last few minutes to give a voice to the voiceless in Vietnam and to understand the arguments of those who are called "enemy," I am as deeply concerned about our own troops there as anything else. For it occurs to me that what we are submitting them to in Vietnam is not simply the brutalizing process that goes on in any war where armies face each other and seek to destroy. We are adding cynicism to the process of death, for they must know after a short period there that none of the things we claim to be fighting for are really involved. Before long they must know that their government has sent them into a struggle among Vietnamese, and the more sophisticated surely realize that we are on the side of the wealthy, and the secure, while we create a hell for the poor.

Somehow this madness must cease. We must stop now. I speak as a child of God and brother to the suffering poor of Vietnam. I speak for those whose land is being laid waste, whose homes are being destroyed, whose culture is being subverted. I speak of the -- for the poor of America who are paying the double price of smashed hopes at home, and death and corruption in Vietnam. I speak as a citizen of the world, for the world as it stands aghast at the path we have taken. I speak as one who loves America, to the leaders of our own nation: The great initiative in this war is ours; the initiative to stop it must be ours.

Suddenly, mandatory close-reading and test material...
https://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/mlkatimetobreaksilence.htm
revelette3

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 09:57 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Suddenly, mandatory close-reading and test material...

I am glad, one day, (perhaps today) I am going to go to kindle and try to find MLK books, I hardly know more than "I have a dream."

I am surprised actually that it is mandatory reading. Is it all over or only in certain schools? Or more towards college reading and degrees? Forgive my ignorance with no comments on it please.
revelette3

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 10:07 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
My linked quote is from the Daily Dot. I have nothing to do with that "digital media company covering Internet culture and life on the web" nor do I get any money for quoting.

But certainly I'll accept those $.87 - you can send it via paypal.

It is funny Lash even knew people get money to quote stuff on the internet, and the amount too? Or was it a joke?
blatham

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 10:25 am
@revelette3,
Quote:
Or was it a joke?
No. Just a slander.
oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 10:30 am
@revelette3,
I think it was more of a slight than a joke, but I don't think it was meant to be literal.
revelette3

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 10:49 am
@oralloy,
Oh, well, typical.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 10:54 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Blistering speech by MLK one year to the day before his assassination.

MLK's eagerness to sell out the South Vietnamese to Communism was quite shameful.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 10:55 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Lash wrote:
Doesn't matter which reporting institution I clicked on when 5 came up

Of course it matters.

Classic ad hominem. Ignore the message. Attack the messenger.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 11:15 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Classic ad hominem. Ignore the message. Attack the messenger.
blatham

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 11:27 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Absolutely the very last thing Trump, his partners at FOX and talk radio and his loyal fans would ever contemplate as a rhetorical device.
oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 11:34 am
@blatham,
And now a case of classic irony.

It was you who was using ad hominem arguments as a rhetorical device.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 11:45 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
It was you who was using ad hominem arguments as a rhetorical device.

A lot of people have pointed that out to him. His credibility is at a new low, and he knows it. He will continue to project his faults on others because it is all he really has.
0 Replies