snood

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2020 06:38 am
@Olivier5,
It’s kinda pitiful how transparent are the aims of the media. The headlines read that the “skirmish rumbles on” between Bernie and Liz. But when either of the two are asked for comment they both try to move on from it.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2020 06:43 am
@snood,
Err... you forgot to insult me in your post.
Lash

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2020 06:53 am
@Olivier5,
To be fair, both of you forgot to insult me.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2020 06:58 am
@snood,
Quote:
It’s kinda pitiful how transparent are the aims of the media.
And it's dangerous. If the business model depends upon predictable behaviors such as promotion of conflict or the both-sides equal formula, these behaviors can be effectively used by bad faith actors.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2020 07:05 am
Err, maybe there are slightly more important things at stake.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2020 07:14 am
@snood,
Okay, so it wasn't an oversight.
blatham

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2020 07:18 am
@Olivier5,
Snood's response is better than yours. He avoided the thing. You didn't want to.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2020 07:45 am
@blatham,
Not sure I get what you are trying to say here. What "thing" do you have in mind, that should be avoided?
blatham

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2020 07:56 am
@Olivier5,
The insult game. He didn't bite. Then you suggested he had, thus opening up the game again. Not serious as these things go but that's what just happened.
snood

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2020 08:02 am
@blatham,
Things get confusing when anyone thinks and responds as if EVERYTHING has something to do with them.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2020 08:04 am
@blatham,
It's not a game, Blat, it is my very serious way of making Snood understand that he should really NOT constantly insult people for no good reason... It grows so boring and predictable that whenever he stops doing so now, I assume it's an oversight... :-)
blatham

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2020 08:06 am
@Olivier5,
Wrong assumption. Plus, are you guilt free?
Olivier5

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2020 08:09 am
@blatham,
Mind your own business, will you?
blatham

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2020 08:10 am
@Olivier5,
That was rapid edit.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2020 08:15 am
@blatham,
Thanks, I just understood your post a second after posting my reply to it...

Honestly, I can deal with Snood and I suppose he can deal with me. We're grown ups, I think.
blatham

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2020 08:19 am
@Olivier5,
I know. Just thought I'd point out that one guy put down his weapon and the other did not.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2020 08:21 am
@blatham,
False equivalence.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2020 08:55 am
Quote:
Buffy Wicks
@BuffyWicks
Last yr, the Violence Against Women Act expired—& the House passed its reauthorization *290* days ago. Sen Republicans have blocked it.

In those 290 days, an estimated:
- 496 women were shot & killed by partners
- 5.3M kids exposed to domestic violence
- 22 trans people murdered

Dear Republican types
**** I hate your guts.
blatham

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2020 09:11 am
I gotta say, the NYT dual endorsement is probably less questionable than their placement of Sanders at the bottom with Bloomberg. That really says, "Anyone but Sanders" and that just pisses me off.
McGentrix

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2020 09:41 am
Good ol' Schumer. Good to know that the Senate has such bi-partisan members like him. I am sure that Trump will get the same treatment he hoped for Clinton.

Quote:
Statement for the Record of Senator Charles E. Schumer
The Trial of the President
February 11, 1999

Mr. President, this is a day of solemnity and awe. I rise humbled that we are participating in a process that was mapped out more than 200 years ago by the Founding Fathers and that the words we say today will be looked upon by historians and future Congresses for guidance. That is quite a responsibility.

I began this process in the House where it degenerated quickly into bitter acrimony. I would like to say to Majority Leader [Trent] Lott and Minority Leader [Tom] Daschle, and to my new colleagues who have wrestled with this case, that I deeply appreciate your fairness and patience and the way this has been handled with such dignity in the Senate.

Growing up, our country and its government seemed like a mighty oak — strong, rooted, permanent, and grand.

It has shaken me that we stand at the brink of removing a President — not because of a popular groundswell to remove him and not because of the magnitude of the wrongs he’s committed — but because conditions in late 20th century America has made it possible for a small group of people who hate Bill Clinton and hate his policies to very cleverly and very doggedly exploit the institutions of freedom that we hold dear and almost succeed in undoing him.

Most troubling to me are the conditions that allowed this to happen, than the small group who precipitated them.

The small group is not the House Managers or particular officeholders of the Republican party.

It is the small group of lawyers and zealots who decided that they would invest time and money to exploit a personal weakness that people knew the President had, find a case to air it publicly, investigate the President’s private life to the point of obsession, and use it to bring him down.

So they found Paula Jones. And whether she was truly wronged or not, we all knew it was a politically motivated case. The people who financed it had no interest in helping Paula Jones. They never lifted a finger to fight for civil rights or for strong sexual harassment laws. It was opportunism pure and simple.

What is so profoundly disturbing is not that this small group of Clinton-haters hatched this plan. It’s that this group — or any group equally dogmatic and cunning — came so close to succeeding.

If you had asked me one year ago if people like this with such obvious political motives could use our courts, play the media and tantalize the legislative branch to achieve their ends of bringing down the President, I would have said “not a chance — that doesn’t happen in America.”

/smh