Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2020 10:15 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
My beef is with the whole practice of classifying people by race for general identification purposes. Why should the government have to know my racial heritage in order to issue me a driver's license?
We got that here, between 1933 and 1945: the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahnenpass][b]Ahnenpass[/b].
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2020 10:20 am
@revelette3,
Yup. Families, communities, and nations all carry myth stories up through time. They can be true, partially true or false. But the truth of the story is not really important, it is the consensus that matters. Matt Groenig does a rather lovely take on this in The Simpsons with the Springfield founding story taught in school.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2020 10:36 am
@hightor,
The invisible hand of the market will of course solve all our problems, as usual. Works like this: carbon emissions --> global warming --> civilation collapses --> billions of death --> less carbon emissions --> climate stabilizes.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2020 10:54 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
Yawn -- I can't believe this is still being raised as an "issue".

I don't think it is.

I posted a political comic accusing Warren of dishonesty, and Farmerman assumed that the political comic was in reference to the ancestry claims.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2020 10:57 am
@revelette3,
revelette3 wrote:
Speaking of Buttigieg, now that he has Iowa to himself, and no, not done by Pelosi out to get Sanders, he has been sprinting across Iowa making some inroads against some previous Trump voters who are disappointed in Trump in his economic and draining swamp campaign promises.

Maybe not done with the goal of harming Sanders (and Warren), but Pelosi did have a big hand in helping it happen.

Granted, the Republicans might have been able to delay the trial for a little bit. But they probably would have run out of excuses to keep delaying it this much.

Isn't Biden in Iowa too though? I wouldn't think that Buttigieg has the state entirely to himself.

I haven't learned to spell Buttigieg yet, so I'm copying your spelling. I hope you spelled it right. Learning to spell his name is going to be a pain if he gets the nomination.
oralloy

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2020 10:58 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
That's a smart observation. Trump always falls to bullying and coarse insults. And when he's doing his rallies or when he's on FOX, that is what makes his base laugh.

So what you are saying is that Trump is on the same level as the progressives on a2k?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2020 11:00 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
Sorry, if you want to deal with our real problems propose some method of mitigating the environmental effects of carbon pollution and human overpopulation.

Re carbon pollution: Right now we have no real science saying that it is even a real problem. We just have a bunch of leftists stamping their feet and demanding that we take their word for it that global warming is happening. We should start by scrapping this entire system of leftist fake research and have the issue looked into by real scientists who are interested only in the facts.

Re human overpopulation: What human overpopulation?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2020 11:19 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Matt Groenig does a rather lovely take on this in The Simpsons with the Springfield founding story taught in school.

Just remember that in Shelbyville, you can marry your cousin.
revelette3

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2020 11:35 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
I haven't learned to spell Buttigieg yet, so I'm copying your spelling. I hope you spelled it right. Learning to spell his name is going to be a pain if he gets the nomination.

“I" before "E" except after "C" and when sounding like "A" as in neighbor and weigh, and on weekends and holidays and all throughout May, and YOU'LL ALWAYS BE WRONG NO MATTER WHAT YOU SAY!!!!”

Brian Regan

I guess I copied it so much I remembered it. I don't know how many times I have to open a window to get a nearer correct spelling on Autocheck because how I spelled it, I would have to add a word to the dictionary. lol.

Quote:
Peter Paul Montgomery Buttigieg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Buttigieg

Quote:
Isn't Biden in Iowa too though? I wouldn't think that Buttigieg has the state entirely to himself

Kind of my thought when I was reading the article, is Biden not taking advantage of those who have to attend the impeachment trial? But then I thought, maybe he is laying low. Or perhaps the author just forgot about Biden or something.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2020 11:57 am
@revelette3,
revelette3 wrote:

But has it got to the point where you have to take a DNA to fill out a college admission form?

For any benefits in regard to being Native American, proof has to be provided that a person has the "blood" of a Native American tribe recognized by the Federal government.

The question on a college admission form is more about the ethnicity one identifies with.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2020 12:08 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
The question on a college admission form is more about the ethnicity one identifies with.

Then why doesn't the question say that? It does not ask what you identify with, it asks your race. Your post is nonsense.
blatham

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2020 12:40 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
Handy to have that option so nearby.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2020 12:57 pm
@engineer,
Quote:

In Shelbyville Tennessee there is a lot of married cousins. They are Somalian refugees.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2020 01:14 pm
@engineer,
https://i.imgur.com/PuAbpt6.jpg

Legal status of first cousin marriage
0 Replies

revelette3

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2020 01:17 pm
@InfraBlue,
Not to knock Warren or anything, but I seriously doubt anyone in my family tried to use our family tall tales ties to Pocahontas on a college form for affirmative action. At least I hope not. None of us look in the least like Native Americans. I actually forgot about this when I responded to Lash. I was thinking in general most people don't think Warren is an opportunist, at least I haven't hear such.
Lash

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2020 01:45 pm
@revelette3,
That is exactly what she did. Read about it.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2020 02:02 pm
@revelette3,
Quote:
In the most exhaustive review undertaken of Elizabeth Warren’s professional history, the Globe found clear evidence, in documents and interviews, that her claim to Native American ethnicity was never considered by the Harvard Law faculty, which voted resoundingly to hire her, or by those who hired her to four prior positions at other law schools. At every step of her remarkable rise in the legal profession, the people responsible for hiring her saw her as a white woman.

The Globe examined hundreds of documents, many of them never before available, and reached out to all 52 of the law professors who are still living and were eligible to be in [on the decision]. Some are Warren’s allies. Others are not. Thirty-one agreed to talk to the Globe — including the law professor who was, at the time, in charge of recruiting minority faculty. Most said they were unaware of her claims to Native American heritage and all but one of the 31 said those claims were not discussed as part of her hire. One professor told the Globe he is unsure whether her heritage came up, but is certain that, if it did, it had no bearing on his vote on Warren’s appointment.

source
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2020 02:11 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:

Then why doesn't the question say that? It does not ask what you identify with, it asks your race. Your post is nonsense.

So, what's up with Trudeau?
revelette3

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2020 02:32 pm
@hightor,
I doubt anyone could say she (Warren) wasn't qualified for each of her positions or admissions in law school and the rest of her career path.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2020 02:37 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
So, what's up with Trudeau?

He is cheering for Iran like every other progressive idiot. Seems you people enjoy being **** on.