coldjoint

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 10:51 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Voter suppression altered many races.

You don't think the illegal vote washed that suppression out, I do.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 10:53 am
Hard to believe Pelosi is still there.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 11:09 am
@edgarblythe,
True, none more obvious than Georgia with Kemp able to tinker with the election to his hearts content. That is an absolute travesty. There is also a lot of confusion on how to make sure the vote is counted among those (mostly students from what I can tell) who had to cast a provisional ballets for no reason.

https://thinkprogress.org/black-students-forced-to-cast-provisional-ballots-in-atlanta-8df7aefdc9e5/

This is going to sound absolutely disloyal when you consider my sister did a lot of campaigning for him, but I am glad Donnelly lost. I have looked at his record, it stinks plus I can't stand him now on account of the Kavanaugh confirmation vote. On the other hand, Nelson, I hope comes out in the recount, even though he votes republican quite often too. I took the Kavanaugh vote very personal, I am wondering if a lot of people did.
maporsche

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 11:12 am
@revelette1,
I think the Kavanaugh vote brought out a lot of Republican support.

Not sure what that meant for Donnelly.
revelette1

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 11:18 am
@maporsche,
Well, perhaps it meant that democrats in the state of Indiana were not enthusiastic enough to campaign hard for him.
coldjoint

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 11:21 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
democrats in the state of Indiana were not enthusiastic enough

Why don't you put the blame on the candidate instead of the voters?
maporsche

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 11:23 am
@coldjoint,
Voters vote and the number of votes determine the winner.

Ultimately it’s on the voters.
coldjoint

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 11:32 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
Ultimately it’s on the voters.

Then why the blame game? Voters interpret what they hear whether it is true or not. Now, who do they hear that from?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 12:33 pm
Hard to believe Pelosi is still there.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 02:53 pm
Sharing from another post:
On paper, Tuesday was a good day for Democrats. You're not sad because "The Democrats did badly."
You're also not sad because Beto lost, or Andrew Gillum lost, or any other single candidate who got people excited this year fell short. They will be back.
No, you're sad for the same reason you were so sad Wednesday morning after the 2016 Election. You're sad because the results confirm that half of the electorate – a group that includes family, neighbors, friends, random fellow citizens – looked at the last two years and declared this is pretty much what they want. You're sad because any Republican getting more than 1 vote in this election, let alone a majority of votes, forces us to recognize that a lot of this country is A-OK with undisguised white supremacy. You're sad because once again you have been slapped across the face with the reality that a lot of Americans are, at their core, a lost cause. Willfully ignorant. Unpersuadable. Terrible people. Assholes, even.
You were hoping that the whole country would somehow restore your faith in humanity and basic common decency by making a bold statement, trashing Republicans everywhere and across the board. You wanted some indication that if you campaigned hard enough, rednecks and white collar bloodless types alike could be made to see the light that perhaps the levers of power are not best entrusted to the absolute worst people that can be dredged up from Internet comment sections running on platforms of xenophobia, nihilism, and racism. In short, you wanted to see some evidence that corruption, venality, bigotry, and proud ignorance are deal-breakers for the vast majority of Americans.
Remember this feeling. Remember it every time someone tells you that the key to moving forward is to reach across the aisle, show the fine art of decorum in practice, and chat with right-wingers to find out what makes them tick. Remember the nagging sadness you feel looking at these almost entirely positive results; it will be your reminder that the only way to beat this thing is to outwork, outfight, and out-organize these people. They are not going to be won over and they will continue to prove that to you every chance they get.

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 02:54 pm
Michael Moore

Trump fires his attorney general. We all know where this is heading. Trump will fire the Special Prosecutor and have all his evidence and files either locked up or shredded. Lame-duck House Repubs will destroy anything that could lead to Trump’s impeachment. DEMS! GET READY TO FIGHT! Don’t listen to Nancy “No Impeachment” Pelosi! Fight fire with fire. You have a mandate from the American people. Don’t be the wienies you often are. FIGHT!!
maporsche

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 02:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
That’s nice Edgar.

Half the country is no longer worth engaging.
Apparently neither are centrist democrats (which appears to be anyone to that disagrees with Bernie on even a single issue).
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 03:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
If it really goes like Moore is suggesting, I agree, Impeach.
farmerman

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 03:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
Pelosi must recognize that the era is a new one. So far, all the dysfunction falls on the president. Hes sowed discord all the hell over. However, his record is so beautifully self-dealing and almost criminal that the DEMS should focus on their ideas and not just dumping on Trump.
I really think hes his own worst enemy and all he can accomplish is stir up his base (Which, by yesterdays race, is shrinking as most people wise up)
revelette1

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 03:15 pm
@farmerman,
True, if the democrats did start investigating Trump, Trump would just fight it and then it would go to Supreme Court with Kavanaugh who doesn't think a President aught to be investigated. (rich coming from him) To tell the truth, I am not sure which way to go.
Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 03:23 pm
The Democrats could pass a bill of impeachment, but he would never be convicted. It would criminal folly to even attempt it. I"m with FM, let him dig his own grave. The thought of Pelosi dismays me.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 03:24 pm
@revelette1,
I really think the incoming house should remind Jutice Kavanaugh that Supreme Court Justices can also be impeached and tried. (Just a little bit of valentines day early)

He , at least should be recusing himself from cases in which the presidents emoluments and self dealing interests are involved.

The point nver dicussed or bought forth in the FBI "investigtion" was the fact tht Corey Booker, the Wednesday before approving that FBI "investigtion" reminded the entire Senate Committee that Dr Ford had sought help and advice regarding being molested by Kavanaugh , in 2003 or 15 years earlier. This is outrageous nd, if one looks at the public summary of the FBI "Investigtion" theres no mention of Sen Booker's request while in the committee.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 03:42 pm
I am not so hot on impeachment as finding ways to stall his Iran actions and preserve what is left of a safety net. If we can do these things until 2020 I will be somewhat mollified.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 05:15 pm
As a liberal, I will be watching our Democratic representatives in both houses to see which ones are on the take for massive bribes - donations - that keep them from doing the work of the people. Issues they need to pursue are universal healthcare, reining in the military adventures as well as military budget, expanding Social Security, shutting down profit prisons, returning our basic voting rights, restoring DACA, getting big money out of politics. I know some yokel will castigate by saying they haven't the power to do any of this. But they could push for it and be able to say they did without lying in 2020.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 05:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
Moore hasn't been paying attention. A lot of the investigative materials have long been moved to / shared with other investigative groups.
0 Replies