oralloy

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2018 06:36 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
Well, we now have a Trump court, chances are we will lose the Senate, we will have more Trump picks at the highest court in the land.
This is a good thing. The liberals want to violate our rights. Trump judges will protect us from the liberals.
revelette1

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2018 08:03 am
@oralloy,
It would be more credible if you advocated for all constitutional rights as much as you do the second amendment. The courts have gutted voting rights, I haven't read anywhere (I don't go to all threads)where you have made an opinion on Trump's desire to do away with birthright citizenship or many other rights.

Besides all that, your argument is a strawman from the get go. Most democrats or left leaning independents do not advocate for taking away anyone's guns. I know I don't, my husband and most of the people I know I have guns in their houses and are hunters and/or just have them for protection or they simply like guns. The court has ruled in the past and it was the late Justice Scalia who said it wasn't unconstitutional to have gun regulations. (some words to that effect.)
Below viewing threshold (view)
DrewDad

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2018 08:29 am
@edgarblythe,
The "both sides are bad" narrative fails to capture that one side is much, much worse.

It's a sad attempt to create an equivalency between to items that are qualitatively different.

Tired of this nihilist, deza bullshit.

Just go vote. Vote for someone; vote against someone. Everyone should still go vote. Then whine that politicians aren't saints.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2018 08:50 am
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2018 01:07 pm

Johnson handed her driver's license to poll workers to get checked in. They printed out a bar code, which when scanned, would produce an access code she could use to cast her ballot.

But the bar code didn't scan. And the first poll worker had already moved away from the check-in screen, so the system showed that she had already voted. Her only option was to cast a provisional ballot at that point.

"They would not guarantee that my ballot would be counted," Johnson said. "I vote in every single election. This is the first time I've had anything like this happen."
https://www.chron.com/news/politics/election/article/Long-lines-and-machines-down-at-multiple-polling-1336
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2018 01:30 pm
@revelette1,
This is typical of Republican rhetoric. People who are obsessed with guns are told that their gun-ownership rights are endangered, that the so-called left want to take their guns away from them. That's bullsh*t, of course, because it's gun control, not gun confiscation. But that crew are one issue voters, it's the same with the self-styled "right to life" nutbags--it doesn't matter what Plump and the Republicans do, so long as they at least pretend to oppose abortion. (Of course, it's a non-issue for the wealthy; if they can't get an abortion in the United States, then they, or the wife or daughter can get on an airliner.)

Along with voter suppression and outright election fraud, one-issue voters are on whom the Republicans rely. People like that pay no attention to the threat to the Affordable Care Act, to the threat to Social Security/Medicate, to the threat to civil liberties. All they care about is their idiot guns or their obsession with sticking their noses in some anonymous woman's business. It's a winner, and has been for year and years.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2018 01:41 pm
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
oralloy

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2018 02:10 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Whether or not he's saying that, I certainly would. With one brief exception, the Republicans have controlled the House since the 1994 mid-terms. They now control the Senate. It has been a disastrous almost two years--a tax cut tailor-made for the fat boy in the White House, which is rapidly bankrupting the the government;
Why is it the tax cut that is responsible for the debt, and not the big spending programs?

Setanta wrote:
trade wars with Canada, Europe and China (which are going to cost Americans plenty);
The auto industry has better protections now thanks to Trump.

Setanta wrote:
threats against the treaty which has kept the peace and security of Europe since 1945;
Getting NATO deadbeats to start contributing to the joint defense will increase peace and security.

Setanta wrote:
threats against the social security system which has given people a very scanty retirement security since 1935--this administration is a disaster.
Social Security is at risk because the left will not allow the program to be repaired. That's not Trump's fault.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2018 02:19 pm
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2018 03:40 pm
@oralloy,
Olliee is as usual totally wrong. Set has it 100 percent right. Who are you going to pay attention too. Liar Olliee or set.
oralloy

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2018 03:52 pm
@RABEL222,
You have a big mouth, but you can't back up your words by pointing out a single thing that I am wrong about.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2018 04:06 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
Who are you going to pay attention too. Liar Olliee or set.

Olliee, hands down.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2018 10:33 pm
O'Rourke as I lamented before today simply came on too soft when it counted. And on the issue of universal health care, he backed away. That should have been a winning issue.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2018 10:55 pm
Now that Democrats should have the House, we have something to measure them by for the next two years. We can compare progressives to the Pelosi types and see who really has the best interests of the people at heart.
maporsche

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 07:39 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Now that Democrats should have the House, we have something to measure them by for the next two years. We can compare progressives to the Pelosi types and see who really has the best interests of the people at heart.

What are your expectations of what the House progressives vs Pelosi types will or can do? And what do you think any of that will tell you? Honest question.

I remember the Tea Party types passing Obamacare repeal something like 36 times when they controlled the House. Obviously their tone shifted when Trump won.

The house Democrats will also pass a lot of bills the public will support, with full knowledge that they won't become laws and they won't have to pay any consequences if these popular-bills would have failed to get results or have had huge costs. Just like Republicans with Obamacare.

So I'm just curious what you expect to see and if you think any of that will matter if Democrats hold the House and manage to win the Senate/Presidency in 2020?
maporsche

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 07:44 am
@maporsche,
Personally.

I know the House Democrats will start actual oversight. At time I'll think they're going too far probably, but the alternative that we've had for 2 years was absolutely disgusting. Devin Nunes could rot in a hole for all I care.

I expect that they'll work on some compromised immigration reform package. This time from a position with a little bit of power. I expect Trump will get some of his wall funded and that DACA kids will get some path to citizenship. I also expect legal immigration to be left alone and hopefully increased.

I expect there to be a government shutdown or two, which I'll also despise.

I expect many investigations to begin and I expect that we'll see Trumps tax returns.

I expect political theater like always.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 07:51 am
Voter suppression altered many races.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 08:11 am
On Beto

Justin Miller
@by_jmiller
He needed to revitalize one of the weakest Dem state parties in the country; reverse demographic voting trends in one cycle; coattails for down ballot; and defeat a savvy incumbent in a very red state. He appears to have pulled off all of but the last.
0 Replies