blatham

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 04:26 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Focus, young man. Focus.
Quote:
its present heft and seriousness.

Regardless of all that came before, our present feelings and empathies towards the plight of Jews in the world have mainly arisen as a consequence of the Holocaust. If the Holocaust had not happened, our perceptions of that plight would be much diminished.

You could do an experiment. Survey 100 high school students or people on the street. Ask two questions:
1) What were the Russian pogroms?
2) What was the Holocaust?

PS... you seem to be troubled by my use of "heft".
Quote:
a: WEIGHT, HEAVINESS
b: IMPORTANCE, INFLUENCE

If you opt for b: here you'll be in the right ballpark.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 04:33 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I'm sure all the murdered and tortured Jews over the centuries prior to WWII will agree their suffering had no heft or seriousness.

That's a very strained misinterpretation, Finn. The destruction of European Jewry by the Nazis was unprecedented, it was documented, and it led directly to the creation of Israel. I haven't failed to notice the zeal with which conservatives make every effort to tar liberals as "anti-semites". You're trying to look like someone of high moral stature but you're only aping hackneyed Trumplican talking points and you're not fooling anybody.
Lash

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 05:13 pm
Bernie Sanders is a radical.

"The reason that we have defied all expectations, is that we are doing something very radical in American politics—we are telling the truth."
—Bernie Sanders

I'm a crazy radical too.
I demand healthcare for everybody.
I demand clean water and clean air.
I demand my tax money is spent more for the people and less for killing people.
I demand no more forever wars.
I demand billionaires pay their fair share.

0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 05:17 pm
@hightor,
Intolerance and the persecution of others whether justified by race. religion, political belief or mere resistance to authoritarian are nearly universal across what we would today call the political spectrum. In modern history from the 19th century Russian Progroms against Jews and the expulsion/ extermination of the Circassians, to the Ottoman extermination of Armenians' and the subsequent Nazi extermination of Jews (and many others who opposed them) there is a fairly continuous thread . Later the much larger exterminations of Ukranian peasants and various other "irreconcilables" by the Soviet Union (I've visited Holocaust-like museums in Lithuania addressing the Soviet exterminations and expulsions to Siberia in the late stages of WWII) , added a new political aspect to these events : Mao later eclipsed nearly all his modern predecessors in the Communist Revolution in China.

As others here have correctly pointed out there's lots more of this also In both the Islamic & Christian worlds going back to the late Middle ages. In terms of relative magnitudes of death & destruction I believe the Mongol invaders of the Middle East (and later Tamerlane) take the cake.

It's hard to find a civilization or culture that is free of these actions.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 05:17 pm
https://youtu.be/_wwHxmEdyeU
My favorite crazy radical.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 05:51 pm
For anyone who actually gives a ****; btw, it was called The Spanish Inquisition and aftermath:
Quote:

The history of the Jews in Spain stretches back to Biblical times according to Jewish history. Spanish Jews once constituted one of the largest and most prosperous Jewish communities in the world. Spain was the unquestioned leader of world Jewry: scientific and philological study of the Hebrew Bible began, secular poetry was written in Hebrew for the first time, and for the only time between Biblical times and the origins of the modern state of Israel, a Jew (Samuel ha-Nagid) commanded a Jewish army.[1] This period ended definitively with the anti-Jewish riots of 1391 and the Alhambra Decree of 1492, as a result of which the majority of Jews in Spain (around 300,000) converted to Catholicism and those who continued to practice Judaism (between 40,000 and 80,000) were forced into exile, although many thousands returned in the years following the expulsion.

An estimated 13,000 to 50,000 Jews live in Spain today, concentrated in the provinces of Malaga, Madrid and Barcelona as well as having a historic presence in the autonomous cities of Ceuta and Melilla.[2][3][4][5][6] A significant portion of these are Spanish-speaking Jews who returned to Spain after centuries of exile in northern Morocco both during and after the Spanish protectorate. Ashkenazi Jews, primarily from Latin America but also of European origin, are also present in Spain. In 2014, the descendants of Sephardi Jews who were exiled in 1492 were offered Spanish citizenship, without being required to move to Spain and/or renounce any other citizenship which they currently may have.[7] (See Christian–Jewish reconciliation#Spanish and Portuguese law of return.) The deadline for applications was September 2019, by which time 130,000 Jews had applied.[8]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Jews_in_Spain
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 11:10 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
I haven't failed to notice the zeal with which conservatives make every effort to tar liberals as "anti-semites".

Well look at the way these progressives (they really are undeserving of the title "liberal", but that's a different subject) falsely accuse Israel of imaginary atrocities and try to rally people to harm Israel for these imaginary atrocities.

Falsely accusing Jews of imaginary atrocities and then trying to punish them for those imaginary atrocities is antisemitism 101.

I call progressives neonazis because progressives are neonazis.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2020 10:37 am
Joe Sanberg Retweeted

The King Center
@TheKingCenter
·
1h
“It may well be that we will have to repent in this generation. Not merely for the vitriolic words of the bad people and the violent actions of the bad people, but for the appalling silence and indifference of the good people who sit around and say, "Wait on time.”” #MLK91 #MLK
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2020 03:12 pm
This is THE reason why it was so much easier for we young boomers than it is for the generations coming of age later.
Quote:
Steven Greenhouse
@greenhousenyt
The stock market is near record highs, but working-class Americans continue to struggle. If you’re only a high school graduate or a dropout, work no longer pays. If the federal minimum wage in 1968 had kept up with inflation & productivity, it would now be $22. Instead it’s $7.25

And as we all know, the disparity in wealth has been growing since the 80s.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2020 03:15 pm
Quote:
Laurence Tribe
@tribelaw
Bernie’s minions are good at swarming after Democrats standing in his way. I experienced it in 2016 the first time I raised modest questions about his gun control record. They were more vicious than Trumpsters. Not a good sign of how he’d govern. Just watch them hit me for this!

Quote:
Amy Siskind
@Amy_Siskind
Agree. And it reflects poorly on him when it happens. No other candidate’s supporters do this.
blatham

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2020 03:24 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Ruby Cramer
@rubycramer
Bernie: "No one is going to be attacking Elizabeth."

"We have hundreds of employees. Elizabeth Warren has hundreds of employees. And people sometimes say things that they shouldn't. You have heard me give many speeches. Have I ever said one word about Elizabeth Warren?"

You've been fine, Bernie. Except as regards containment/rejection of all the voices in your camp and among followers that seriously violate the model of behavior you set. And, I would tell him given the chance, you have to take responsibility for this.
hightor

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2020 03:53 pm
@blatham,
I really think that, should he win the nomination, we're going to see Sanders-lite. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. He's not going to sell out, but he's going to tone some things down. He's not stupid.

Now, what happens if he doesn't get the nomination and neither does Warren — will he work to keep his more ardent supporters within the fold? If he did, would it even be effective?
BillW

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2020 03:57 pm
@hightor,
Go to the left in primaries and go to the center in the general election. The question to answer is how "center" is Bernie's center?

One thing different about Bernie this time is that with Hillary, he wouldn't commit to support her until well in the general, then only reluctantly. He has committed this time to support the nominee, regardless of who it may be.
snood

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2020 04:26 pm
That has always been a question about Bernie. If he loses, how early and how convincingly will he throw his support behind the nominee? I agree he dragged his feet last time, although there seems to be dissenting opinion even about that.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2020 06:12 pm
@BillW,
Bernie Sanders campaigned harder for Hillary Clinton than she did for herself. We have receipts. Stop lying.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2020 08:01 pm
@hightor,
He was ineffective when Hillary ran. Check out lashes posts after she out voted her hero for the nomination. What makes you think it will be different this time?
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2020 05:02 am
Elizabeth Warren Says Bernie Sanders Sent Volunteers ‘Out to Trash Me’
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2020 06:29 am
In Politico today:

Quote:
Sanders surges as progressives flock to him over Warren

The consolidation of left-wing support is a remarkable turnaround for Sanders.

By HOLLY OTTERBEIN
01/13/2020 05:10 AM EST

https://www.politico.com/amp/news/2020/01/13/sanders-progressives-flock-warren-098065

That would explain why Warren is getting nervous.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2020 06:33 am
@hightor,
Quote:
I really think that, should he win the nomination, we're going to see Sanders-lite. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. He's not going to sell out, but he's going to tone some things down. He's not stupid.
That's my assumption as well.

Quote:
Now, what happens if he doesn't get the nomination and neither does Warren — will he work to keep his more ardent supporters within the fold? If he did, would it even be effective?
I'm not certain that a Warren win will be received much better than a Biden or Klobuchar win for those "ardent" types. But in either case, Sanders will have to put in no small effort to rein in the crazies. How effective he'll be is a question, for sure. And that's a predictable consequence when a campaign runs on an over-riding theme of uniqueness in ideological purity and personal character.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2020 06:42 am
@blatham,
Anti-bernites are pretty toxic too, for that matter. The good thing is, the American people is not going to elect bernites nor anti-bernites for president. They're going to elect Bernie for president. :-)