georgeob1

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2019 01:23 pm
@hightor,
I believe it consists merely of exaggerated interpretations of various elements in the current, rather mixed Conservative Party platform, Nothing unusual, or even remarkable there, except for the author's evident pique.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2019 01:59 pm
@georgeob1,
Well said

How many times do the Elites have to be wrong before they realize that, not only, do they not outnumber the Great Unwashed, they're continued contempt for it only energizes it?

I only hope they don't catch on soon.
georgeob1

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2019 02:02 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Well comfortable delusions can be self-reinforcing so I think the odds are with you.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2019 04:01 pm
🤨I’ve just been yelled at by Jimmy Dore.
Brand X

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2019 04:43 pm
@Lash,
What the what?
Lash

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2019 06:23 pm
@Brand X,
He’s mad at Bernie for saying Russia tried to influence the election.

I told him to get off Bernie’s jock ( in much nicer language) and yell at the people constantly parroting Russia accusations (in much nicer language) and he said I was wrong.

It’s funny but sad cause I don’t dislike Jimmy Dore and I’m sad that he’s mad at Bernie.

I told my son at dinner and he nearly laughed up his Pad Thai.

But, my son told my nephew his Jeremy Corbyn narrative and it was exactly the same as mine—which almost never happens.
blatham

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2019 07:57 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
How many times do the Elites have to be wrong
I love the use of capitalization here. It gives the referent group or thing heft and solidity. As is the case with Evil. Or Jewish Bankers. Or Welfare Queens. Or Celebrity Pussy-Grabber or such. Dress anything or anyone up in fancy upper case apparel and there's less latitude for contest on the matter. I mean, God knows this is true.

coldjoint

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2019 10:07 am
@blatham,
Quote:
Dress anything or anyone up in fancy upper case apparel and there's less latitude for contest on the matter. I mean, God knows this is true.

Why not just answer the question? Your verbal diarrhea impresses no one, and it stinks.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2019 06:30 am
Quote:
Overconfident Trump Backers Ignore Key Lesson From 2016
by Ed Kilgore

If you forced yourself to watch significant portions of the House Judiciary Committee’s markup of articles of impeachment, you undoubtedly heard the Republican hypothesis that the entire exercise is an effort to head off a certain Trump reelection next year. This assumption was often hurled at Democrats as a taunt, as the New Yorker’s Susan Glasser observed:

Quote:
[T]here was a moment during Wednesday night’s talkathon when Buck taunted his Democratic colleagues for proceeding with impeachment despite what he said would be the disastrous political consequences. “Say goodbye to your majority status,” he said, “and please join us in January, 2021, when President Trump is inaugurated again.” Other Republicans echoed him, reflecting the capital’s current conventional wisdom that the President, although he remains disliked and distrusted by a majority of the country, is not only going to emerge from impeachment with a largely unified Republican vote to acquit him but also strengthened for his reëlection campaign.

Impeachment aside, any casual perusal of pro-Trump conservative news and opinion outlets shows an impressive consensus that the president is cruising to a 2020 victory, with impeachment viewed as a base-mobilizer rather than a development that will repel swing voters, as this neat summation from the Washington Times smugly assumes:

Quote:
American Spectator columnist David Catron offers a handy, succinct rationale for President Trump’s victory in 2020, ideal for use in political skirmishes at work or cocktail parties. Mr. Catron notes that a “failed impeachment” will weaken Democrats, strengthen the president and further motivate his already loyal supporters.

“Trump will win reelection in 2020 for three reasons: First, the voters are always reluctant to replace a president in a time of peace and prosperity, regardless of his perceived flaws. Second, a transparently partisan impeachment vote in the House followed by a fair trial and acquittal in the Senate, will seriously damage the Democratic brand while sparking an internal civil war between its moderate and leftwing factions. Finally, this ideological conflict within the opposition party will result in the nomination of a weak compromise candidate to face a vindicated and politically stronger incumbent president awash in cash and supported by highly motivated voters,” Mr. Catron writes.

The Trump campaign itself is reinforcing this spin forcefully, notes Glasser:

Quote:
After Pelosi and her committee chairs introduced the articles of impeachment, on Tuesday, Trump’s campaign “war room” tweeted out a video clip of Trump’s face superimposed onto the body of the Marvel Comics supervillain Thanos, a genocidal warrior who aims to use his power to destroy half of all life in the universe. “House Democrats can push their sham impeachment all they want,” the tweet read. “President Trump’s reelection is inevitable.”

This take on impeachment rather notably collides with the claim that it is intended to head off Trump’s reelection, since Democrats infallibly know the Republican-controlled Senate will acquit him. But the fact remains that Trump fans are feeling more, not less, confident about 2020, and they were pretty confident earlier, as National Review observed over a month ago:

Quote:
A majority of registered voters believe that President Trump will win the 2020 presidential election, according to a Morning Consult/Politico poll released on Wednesday.

The survey shows that 56 percent of voters believe the president will be reelected. Eighty-five percent of Republicans and 51 percent of independents were confident in Trump’s reelection effort, compared to 35 percent of Democrats.

Eighty-five percent is a lot of confidence in a president who lost the popular vote the first time around and has never been anything other than underwater in his job-approval ratings.

You don’t need a poll to grasp that Democrats aren’t remotely as confident about 2020. The simple fact that Democratic voters are obsessed with the electability of prospective nominees tells you all you need to know about that. And this anxiety — if not pessimism — is constantly reinforced by analysis suggesting Trump can again win while losing the popular vote by an even greater margin than before.

This contrast in moods is, to put it mildly, a reversal of the situation going into the 2016 general election. Of all the reasons Trump won, you have to figure overconfidence in the HRC camp — leading to strategic missteps by the campaign, and indifferent turnout and protest voting among the rank-and-file — was a significant factor. There is no polling lead by the Democratic nominee or mistake by Trump this time around that will convince Democratic voters this election is in the bag. But it’s possible that a solid year of triumphalist braying from Trump, his campaign, his party, and his media allies, will persuade some of his own voters that he’s already won, so it’s safe to spend Election Day in other pursuits, or at the grocery and liquor stores stocking up for the big victory celebration. It could be a fatal mistake.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2019 07:47 am
Current Affairs
‏
Verified account

@curaffairs
22h22 hours ago
More
the very existence of a "bronze" healthcare plan should horrify us
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2019 08:55 am
@Lash,
The truth is that the Russians tried to influence the election, and succeded. I don't have a clue who Dore is but to deny the glaringly obvious is not smart.
hightor

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2019 09:23 am
@Olivier5,
There's a subset of the current Democratic left which rejects the whole Russian meddling narrative.
engineer

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2019 09:25 am
@hightor,
That they meddled I don't really think is in question. It's pretty well documented. The impact of it might be.
hightor

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2019 10:04 am
@engineer,
Well, part of the "narrative" is that the meddling affected the result — you're correct, they reject this conclusion. I think it might have something to do with providing HRC and her supporters with a handy excuse for her loss.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2019 11:49 am
@engineer,
Exactly the point of most progressives.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2019 11:53 am
@Olivier5,
The truth is that Hillary Clinton’s cheating and hubris affected the outcome of 2016 far more than any other single factor.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2019 12:07 pm
@Lash,
I agree she was a piss-poor candidate, but "more than any other factor" is a wild guess. It can't be proven nor even roughly estimated.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2019 12:12 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
There's a subset of the current Democratic left which rejects the whole Russian meddling narrative.

Lash is a fake bernite, not a leftist.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2019 02:29 pm
@Olivier5,
I've watched a couple Jimmy Dore clips for a few minutes each.

"Only in the United Fuckin' States" was my first thought. That's because of the clownery, the absolute mockery of street smarts he produces, the hollowness of his used-car saleman's arguments. The evident fakeness of the guy, in short, screams America.

But then... it's also true that Europe has its share of folks who like Dore say that the right and the left are the same. Equivocaters, shall we call them? Proud fence-sitters, they call everybody else naĂŻve but I suspect they secretely look toward the extreme right. And ours are less comedic than Dore about it, but they are just as full of their own crap.
blatham

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2019 02:30 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
@Lash,
I agree she was a piss-poor candidate, but "more than any other factor" is a wild guess. It can't be proven nor even roughly estimated.
Ya think?