Olivier5

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2019 09:26 am
@Lash,
It seems to me that Trump is normalizing political violence by threatening to beat up, jail or kill his political opponents, or by condoning the murder of a demonstrator in Charlottesville some time back.

Maybe all these murder threats are just business as usual for the US, but then, why do you care?
revelette3

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2019 09:42 am
@Olivier5,
Our politics has been getting nastier since Bill Clinton won his election, on both sides. It gets more partisan and shrill by the day. (I'm just fleshing this thought out) I think it started with round the clock cable news, and then the world wide internet and then social media and newer, faster and better (supposedly) technology, the rancor gets spread among the voters and citizens much faster than it ever did. And then, along came Donald Trump...imagine explosion.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2019 10:46 am
@revelette3,
If Trump is elected a second time I can envision him establishing a secret police division to imprison anyone who refers to him as a crook. Ridicules? Look at how many times he has gone to court to over turn established law. He needs to get away from courts that enforce the law and go around the courts. Bar would make a good Goring.
snood

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2019 11:49 am
@revelette3,
revelette3 wrote:

Our politics has been getting nastier since Bill Clinton won his election, on both sides. It gets more partisan and shrill by the day. (I'm just fleshing this thought out) I think it started with round the clock cable news, and then the world wide internet and then social media and newer, faster and better (supposedly) technology, the rancor gets spread among the voters and citizens much faster than it ever did. And then, along came Donald Trump...imagine explosion.

When you mentioned Bill Clinton’s election I couldn’t help but add that Newt Gingrich also helped usher in a whole new level of nastiness into politics.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2019 11:52 am
@snood,
Quote:
that Newt Gingrich also helped usher in a whole new level of nastiness into politics

Which Obama picked up on and made into an art form.
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2019 12:07 pm
@coldjoint,
Nnsense, Obama was pretty even tempered and low key. the nastiness all came from the other side from the election and the day he took office. .give some examples of what you think he did nastily.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2019 12:23 pm
@MontereyJack,
Kamala Harris really ain't a progressive. But that's moot. She's out of the race.
Kamala Harris Is Dropping Out of 2020 Race
Quote:
Senator Kamala Harris of California is dropping out of the Democratic presidential race after months of slumping poll numbers, a dramatic comedown after her campaign began with significant promise.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2019 12:31 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
.give some examples of what you think he did nastily.

Obama set race relations back 50 years. That is nasty. Obama insulted hard working Americans "you did not build it". That is nasty. Obama chastised Christians at a prayer breakfast for complaining about Islamic terror. That is nasty. Obama ruined healthcare with government interference in what makes up 20% of our economy. That was nasty and stupid.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2019 01:59 pm
@coldjoint,
Writing in pink is nasty, then.
0 Replies

revelette3

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2019 04:14 pm
@RABEL222,
The whole bunch reminds me of Henry (said it before around here) the 8th and Thomas Crammer and Thomas Cromwell with the Church of England starting because Henry the 8th wanted to get rid of his first wife and marry Ann Boleyn. Barr reminds me of Thomas Cromwell; even though he was a stanch Protestant and Barr is a stanch Catholic. They both have the same crazy zeal. (from books I have read. Love stories of Ann Boleyn.)

https://www.history.com/news/henry-viii-divorce-reformation-catholic-church

It getting really crazy at the department of Justice with Barr disagreeing with the Inspector General report. Personally I won't trust nothing that comes out of his (Barr's) own "investigation of the start of the 2016 Russian probe."
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2019 05:48 pm
@tsarstepan,
Gavin Newsome was supposed to trot around the N’east with her this weekend. We gave him hell.

Anyway. Booker and the other also-rans should be making some decisions soon.

Still trying to see who the establishment is going to try to push. It’s switched so many times. It looks like they’re down to Pete, but nobody has less black support. Maybe Bloomberg has less...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2019 05:51 pm
@Olivier5,
We’ve had duels, wives called whores, several assassinations... This isn’t new.
Lash

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2019 05:56 pm
America the Beautiful and totally scandalous

https://www.google.com/amp/s/time.com/5569221/biggest-american-political-scandals/%3famp=true

What Was the Biggest Political Scandal in American History? 7 Historians Make Their Picks
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2019 12:15 am
@coldjoint,
Thought you cited everything according to you. Cites for those, most of which sound like right wing distortions of what actually happened. Getting affordavble health care for 20 million American families that couldn't get it begre hardly couts as ruining healthcare. and countries with government regulated health care systems around the world, spend around 20% of their GDP and insure eferybody with better health csre metrics thsn we do. so O was definitely on the right track there. Trump and the GOP's vaunted health care plangot 18% approval nationwide. Who is nasty on healthcare? You haven't come close to making your point believable.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2019 06:51 am
Tulsi Gabbard

Verified account

@TulsiGabbard
17h17 hours ago
More
Sending my best wishes to @KamalaHarris, her family & supporters who have campaigned so hard. While we disagree on some issues, we agree on others & I respect her sincere desire to serve the American people. I look forward to working together on the challenges we face as a nation
Brand X

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2019 01:39 pm
Michael Tracey

Verified account

@mtracey
now
More
Hillary on Howard Stern today said the Russians were working to elect Bernie in 2016. "He hurt me, there's no doubt about it," she said re: Bernie, because he didn't endorse her quickly enough. "I hope he doesn't do it again to whoever gets the nomination, once is enough."
Olivier5

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2019 01:56 pm
@Lash,
Well then, death threats to Bernie come with the territory.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2019 02:55 pm
@Olivier5,
Death threats? In the U S? I cant believe it. With a president who preaches love and honesty. How can that be?
Lash

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2019 03:05 pm
@Olivier5,
All presidents are threatened.
How the public and private organizations RESPOND to those threats tells a lot about them.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2019 03:07 pm
@Brand X,
************! Please tell me that psychotic bitch didn’t say that.

(************ was not directed at the messenger)